Railroad Forums 

• Central Branch Freight

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1497383  by mjd13076

Today (1/19/19), we’ve noticed a bit of a strange occurrence on the Central Branch immediately west of where the old South Farmingdale Station used to be.

This morning around 11, a long freight train passed through. Then, while at my daughter’s dance class, we heard the train pass another two times.

Jump ahead to this afternoon and we see a long line of filled hoppers sitting unattached to engines. Then, two engines pull in from the east (#300 attached to an MP15) and sit there for a few moments. A few workers appeared to get off and onto the tracks to work on something (we couldn’t see through the thick brush). After a few more minutes, the engines began moving east again.

We then went shopping in Stop & Shop and when we came out, the two engines were in the process of coupling to the hoppers.

Anyone have any idea what’s happening? Derailment? Training exercises?
 #1497397  by Backshophoss

NY&A at work,they are the freight contractor on LIRR.
Might have better luck on the New York and Atlantic Thread.
 #1497399  by NYR2218

NYAR was doing PTC testing on the central branch. Saw them around 2:30 west of the staples street crossing.
 #1497411  by Uncle Cheapo

PTC test freight train. It is a joint effort of LIRR & NYA.
They done one like this on the Pt. Jeff about 3 years back. There is a Yoo Toob video documenting it.
 #1497519  by MACTRAXX

Makes me think that this is a ballast train being used here.
 #1497525  by nyandw

John Fusto was kind enough to send this video. It's 81Mb so be patient, approx 20+ seconds to load. I used Win Media Player to view in the cloud. South Farmingdale location on Central Branch: https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u=ht ... z=80887539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;