Railroad Forums 

• How will NYA operate 05/16 & 05/17 with Main Line closed ???

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1331212  by Teutobergerwald

Will NYA run up & down the Central between Bethpage and Babylon this weekend, using the south shore trackage between Babylon and Jamaica, due to the closure of the Main Line because of the Ellison Ave. bridge demolition in Westbury, or are they just going to suspend ops outside of Queens & Brooklyn this weekend ?????
 #1354019  by AlKaLI

Reviving this topic because of the next Main Line shutdown for this weekend 10/24 and 10/25.

^Teutobergerwald: To answer your question months later, I don't believe that the NY&A ran on the main that weekend. I went out to New Highway in Farmingdale on Friday evening, May 15 hoping to catch some NY&A action. I was not disappointed. Between around 8:30-10 PM, I saw an eastbound and westbound NY&A train. C & D loads were picked up from Coastal and then empties were dropped by the eastbound. I drove by on Saturday and no cars had been moved by the NY&A.

My guess is that the pattern will repeat itself and this Friday might be a good night for NY&A activity through Farmingdale on the Main.
Good Hunting!
 #1355142  by Amtrak7

NYAR did not run any freight Z-trains these two outages. A couple freights did run between Farmingdale and points east.

One time last year, during a QUEENS surfacing project, NYAR was sent down the South Shore, something that hasn't happened since.
 #1355585  by jayrmli

One time last year, during a QUEENS surfacing project, NYAR was sent down the South Shore, something that hasn't happened since.
I doubt you will see that routing again for most NYAR moves, as the weight limit has been increased to 286,000 lbs per car, but that is probably only route approved over the Main Line...not the Montauk branch.