Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned Track

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1276193  by vin5581

I was Bicycling today along central ave in Bethpage and came across a track in the woods just west of the Bethpage PKWY where the the mainline crosses over. Who did this track serve? This track has been cut off from the main line.
 #1276215  by emfinite

That was the interlocked siding for General Motors, controlled by B. It was probably cut out in the late 80's when Beth went remote from Divide and they electrified the mainline.
 #1276297  by vin5581

Very Interesting. I don't know how far the track goes but I was able to follow it by Bike for at least 500' before it dissappeared into the trees and brush.
 #1276303  by jayrmli

Last I checked, it was an office for Sleepy's mattress now. The track went back to there, as that used to be General Motors.

It was one of those rare freight sidings that was interlocked and protected by a low home signal. Crews needed to use the signals and switch off the Central Branch I believe to service them. My guess is it was removed during the Ronkonkoma electrification project.
 #1276345  by Sir Ray

Historic Aerials from 1966 (pretty decent image)
Looks like a single siding which went into the building along it's North Side - interesting how the siding curved back on itself, in a broad U-shape.
ETA: That's annoying, the linked view shows a split image when I view it - need to scroll out a click, and then scroll back in. Not sure why NETR is acting so grumpy...

Google Street shows a "For Sale or Lease" sign on the Sleep's building, because every dang piece of industrial or commercial property on Long Island is for Sale or Lease
 #1276458  by Teutobergerwald

Maybe someone desiring rail freight access with bite on the property.......
 #1276462  by emfinite

Jay, the old-timers at work said they left their cut on the Central Branch clear of the main while they serviced GM, like you said.

I don't like posting photos from my collection on the internet anymore because most get stolen and I don't get credit, hence the watermark. These slides were taken by Robert Dunnet, from my collection.

Train 4004, Engine 214 on November 16, 1975

Train RF61 with 75 cars October 28, 1975

Stone Extra with 19 Cars June 27, 1972
 #1276652  by Teutobergerwald

Anyone notice the PRR-style signal's lower head is different in the 1972 & 1975 pictures??? Anyone know why they were changed? What did the lower head control ? Thanks.
 #1276738  by freightguy

Maybe the track rules in the area changed. The second one would be able to display a medium clear to diverge onto the Central branch?
 #1276744  by emfinite

It was always a Clear aspect crossing onto the Central from Mainline 2 since the switch is MAS. You wouldn't get a medium clear. Could have been that the piece of sheet metal broke off and they replaced it only with the diagonal piece so it could still display a Restricting. Figure it could display Stop, Stop and Proceed, Clear, Approach and Restricting during that era of block and interlocking rules. It was D251 back then so the next automatic signal east of there would have been on ML2 right before Clinton St. crossing.

Here's another view, west, from March 18, 1979. The siding is barely visible on the left side:

#1322026  by Teutobergerwald

Since the NYA forum has been stagnant of late, I went back and looked over earlier topics, like this one. It is awesome when questions asked are answered by those "in the know," and with pictures.
 #1491207  by Teutobergerwald

Since this is the NYA Forum, anyone have any pics of NYA serving customers on spurs that are now disconnected, inactive or formerly on team tracks, 1997-on? Thanks.
 #1491236  by freightguy

Before cellphone cameras, but I know there maybe some shots of these areas from railfans/employees:

Eastport Feeds
Best Building Supply (Speonk track 7)
Fireside(stone) lumber Hicksville PJ branch
Huntington Team
Green lawn double ended freight(Velvet top)
Kaufman Allied(Central Islip)
Pergament(Central Branch by SS parkway)
Boening Bro’s beverage(Central Branch)
Amco Plastics(Central Branch)
Eldees(Deer Park for Salesmaster)
84 Lumber(Islip)
Ruco(Hicksville)
Quality Lineals(Freeport Team)
Baisley Lumber(West Hempstead Branch)
American Dream(Nassau Suffolk Lumber in Port Jeff)
Nassau Suffolk Lumber in Huntington
American Tissue in Huntington
Prima Stone/Propane in Holtsville
Amerigas/National Propane in Wyandanch
Pergament/Newsday Pinter Bro’s in Deer Park

I pulled/spotted all these except the last consignee. Just never thought to take a camera with me.
Combined Container in Wyandanch

Jamaica Ash(Westbury)
 #1491561  by mainline

Greg,

How about Pulver Gas in Bridgehampton and Thurber Lumber/penny Lumber in Southold.
Southern Container in Deer Park.

Bill
 #1491670  by freightguy

Wow,

Is Southern Container done? That was probably like a 600-800 cars a year! Yeah there was a few I forgot, didn’t even really include the Metropolitan region the West end. Forgot Gallo Wines in Syosset also which was always busy this time of year.