Railroad Forums 

• M&E Shop and Whippany River RR

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#767915  by sean3f

This video was taken in 2003 and features the FL9's, red paint and abandon tracks near Whippany Yard. They are always working on something or other there. For such a small place, I bet that the shop is the real money maker for the RR.

NJT Morristown and Erie Railroad Shop -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsBWetfOrzM
 #768044  by RS115

Great shots. The bridge with the lifted rails is on the old siding into two of the paper mills -- one is now a business park and the other a fulfullment house.

Other than work on the private varnish passenger cars that work out of Whippany, the shop does little actual contract work. The equipment seen in most of the photos is theirs or that of the affiliated RRPX leasing company. The small switcher is owned by the Military Transport Association (or close to that), a specialized military historical group. M&E often uses it as a shop switcher.
 #768072  by 37mmGunner

RS115 wrote:Great shots. The bridge with the lifted rails is on the old siding into two of the paper mills -- one is now a business park and the other a fulfullment house.

Other than work on the private varnish passenger cars that work out of Whippany, the shop does little actual contract work. The equipment seen in most of the photos is theirs or that of the affiliated RRPX leasing company. The small switcher is owned by the Military Transport Association (or close to that), a specialized military historical group. M&E often uses it as a shop switcher.
The Military Transport Associations website...

http://www.mtaofnj.org/mta_train_engine.htm
 #768488  by joe k

That old siding / bridge was located behind Franks DIner on Parsippany Rd across from the post office..........I think the M&E has since removed / scrapped the steel bridge span. It once served a roofing company

The siding crossed the Eden Mill driveway about 500' off the Parsippany Rd entrance and was a weekday storage track for the MCCRR in the early days of operation prior to building it's own storage track at the Whippany Station area.........now museum
 #769370  by EDM5970

I'm wondering just what this thread has to do with the Whippany River Railroad. "Whippany River" was how the 148 was lettered in the mid '70s, when used on M&E's short-lived tourist operation. At least one other poster on this forum was a member of the operating crew. Sam Freeman, owner of the 148, was rightfully adamant about not having "Whippany Toonerville" plastered on his locomotive. As an historical point, the original Whippany River was a predecessor of the M&E. That provided the justification to letter 148 as such.

But what this thread has to do with the Whippany River RR is beyond me- Ancient history-
 #769594  by RS115

I was thinking that as well EDM ;-). However, the rolling date on the rail mentioned allows at least the possibilty that it was actually from WRRR days. Could be re-lay from another road - I've never seen detailed info on whether they originally got new rail or bought used. In later years, they certainly bought used from both connections and dealers.
 #769635  by sean3f

The old rail shown in the video could be from the WRRR. THe date shown is on the rail is "Scranton 1895" , which from my understaindig is the date the WRRR was chartered. If anyone has any further info that could help please feel free to post here.