Railroad Forums 

• Trolleys of Reading, Pa - How many are left?

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#578659  by Montclaire

I am aware of Reading Transit and Light 102, which is currently at ECTM (although I have no idea of condition other than a small paragraph on the website), and of number 182, which I have posted about on here in the past. I am also under the impression that Reading is looking to start it's own vinatge trolley operation. Any info appreciated.
 #578785  by Montclaire

Allow me to add some info:

Reading 102, a 1918 Brill, is in the posession of ECTM, awaiting eventual restoration.

Reading 506, a 1920 Birney, is also at the ECTM and is displayed as a 'cut-away.'

Reading 511 was the 'Trolley Stop' diner in Skippack, PA, and is now part of 'Hotel Fiesol.'
http://www.hotelfiesole.net/home.html

Reading 182, a single truck Brill, had been converted into a cabin of sorts, and as far as I know it is still there.
 #578940  by Montclaire

I found a current photo of Reading 102, looking pretty rough and awaitng resto. Below the pic is a link to a pretty decent photo page of ECTM rolling stock. Nobody has info on Reading trolleys? I ordered a book last night on the subject, but I do not know if it gives the disposition of any of the cars; most likely it does not.

http://www.bera.org/cgi-bin/pnaerc-quer ... y%20Museum
 #579491  by jdstrolley

Many years ago, in the 1970's, there was a listing of Reading cars still preserved with their locations. Around 15 years ago I went searching for as many of the cars that I could find. Many of the cars then were gone, but several did still exist. I know there used to be two near Oley (I think) which were built into homes next to each other. One was a 300 series car and the other a 90 series car. I beleive that these are still there. Alos near Oley was a car that had been converted into a greenhouse. That was literally falling apart and sagging badly when I saw it 15 years ago. When I was a kid I remeber going to a car on a farm that was on a slight hill and the car had a number of seats in it. I believe the car was 93. Near French Creek State Park used to be car 307, but it has been years since I was there. I have no idea whether it still exists. There is a 70 series car that is now privately owned that used to be near Morgantown but has been moved to the owners location. Reading 807, the last car to operate in Reading was just destroyed a few years ago after preservation efforts to save it failed. The floor gong still exists from the car but that is all.

There were many Reading cars saved after servicve ended, but that number unfortunately has dwindled considerably over the years.

Joel
 #579498  by Montclaire

Joel, do you know if they are they still planning to construct a trolley line in Reading? I know it was seriously being looked at, but I don't know if it ever got off the ground. If you have any pictures of the cars you found, I'd love to see them. Also, if any of those cars can still be saved, the ECTM might be interested.
 #580055  by jdstrolley

I have no idea whether there are plans for a trolley line near Reading. I have not heard of anything recently. I had heard that BVTA had looked at Reading years ago before Scranton developed. I also recall reading something in a newspaper years ago that proposed something in the Hamburg area.

Unfortunately all of the pictures that I have of the Reading cars are in slides and I do not have a scanner.

Joel
 #581446  by Montclaire

Joel, I can understand if you do not want to release the exact locations publicly, but if you would consider sending me a DM through the board with more precise locations, I promise to keep it under my hat unless dealing with an entity that wishes to preserve and restore the cars. Even if the 'greenhouse' car body is a mess, the running gear could be invaluable if it is still there. I travel to Allentown every so often, so a little trolley seeking would not be too far out of my way.
Thanks
 #733646  by Montclaire

A little update here.

Reading 72, a 1902 Brill, is shown as being in the hands of a private owner in Glenmoore, PA

Reading 510, what should be a Birney safety car, was last shown as belonging to the Detroit Citizens Railway in 1973

Reading 807, which Joel had mentioned as being scrapped, is listed as in the possession of the Reading Railroad Heritage Museum. I sent them an email to confirm.

http://www.davesrailpix.com/odds/pa/htm/rsr23.htm

Any ones I missed?
 #857210  by JimBoylan

jdstrolley wrote:Around 15 years ago I went searching for as many of the cars that I could find. I know there used to be two near Oley (I think) which were built into homes next to each other. One was a 300 series car and the other a 90 series car. I beleive that these are still there.
When 511 was moved to the Trolley Stop about 30 years ago, at least 1 larger double truck car was left behind. They had been used as residences.
Last edited by JimBoylan on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #857447  by Montclaire

After JDSTROLLEY's post, I sent him a private message as well as the one that I posted on the forum. I promised that any information he could provide would be kept under wraps and only revealed if an entity would be interested in acquiring the car(s) and starting restoration. I have yet to receive a response. If 511 was one of the two cars in Oley, the information as to one car being a 300 series and the other a 90 would have to be at least partially false.