Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Re: Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

Postby Jonathan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:33 am

p42thedowneaster wrote:I believe the wye was last used (for a full turn) sometime around the year nineteen hundred and ninety six, by B&M 4266 or possibly MEC 15 shortly after the re-opening of the line. The wye was used regularly until the end of steam, and then saw sporadic use when it was used to access the peg mill.

There’s a picture of it in use by 4266.
Jonathan

Postby ericofmaine » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 am

And, yes, the wye is the remnants of the Bartlett and Albany.

Eric
470 Club Trustee and "Webmaster"
Unless otherwise stated, the opinions I post are mine and are not the opinion of the 470 Railroad Club.
ericofmaine

Postby BandA » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:13 am

What is a peg mill?
BandA

Postby Mikejf » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Mikejf

Postby MARKON » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:19 pm

What a delight it was to ride the Conway Scenic on 6/2. A trip in the ex-GN dome and great commentary over the PA made the trip that could have been boring (for the wife) .. very interesting. What was the best though was the friendly staff and the reply too .. Can I walk around the yard? "Faw Sure..No Worries" . In NY State if you venture beyond a yellow line or platform you are ousted (and embarrassed) in front of all. S&NC (RIP), ADSR, CSMR, U&D were noted for this with the summer help - wanna-be - railroad cops. I'll stick with New England. The best was watching the Geep prime mover being lifted out of the frame. Is this being scrapped or out for repair?
Mark O
Bellmore, NY
MARKON

Postby p42thedowneaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Glad to hear you had such a nice experience! The Geep prime mover is being transplanted into a long ago retired B&M F7 chassis. I'm not sure what will happen to the GP chassis. It was originally PRR and later spent more years (20years?) hauling gravel trains from NH to Boston. It had a good run at least...
p42thedowneaster

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 am

MARKON wrote:What a delight it was to ride the Conway Scenic on 6/2. A trip in the ex-GN dome and great commentary over the PA made the trip that could have been boring (for the wife) .. very interesting. What was the best though was the friendly staff and the reply too .. Can I walk around the yard? "Faw Sure..No Worries" . In NY State if you venture beyond a yellow line or platform you are ousted (and embarrassed) in front of all. S&NC (RIP), ADSR, CSMR, U&D were noted for this with the summer help - wanna-be - railroad cops. I'll stick with New England. The best was watching the Geep prime mover being lifted out of the frame. Is this being scrapped or out for repair?

CSRR has always allowed people to freely roam the yard. As a kid, I remember it was set up more like a museum and there were plaques in front of most pieces giving a brief history. I believe some of these plaques still exist. There's one on the roundhouse for sure.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: enabled BBCode so that quote would display properly
theseaandalifesaver

Postby CSRR573 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:57 pm

backroadrails wrote:CSRX box car 4615 has been repainted into a MEC inspired paint scheme. It was the car that was sitting by the freight house for many years.

wasnt it always lettered for MEC?
My Photos
98 Ford ZX2: MMI intake, 2.5" Trubendz Exhaust system, more to come
00 Mustang GT
CSRR573

Postby Otto Vondrak » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:19 pm

backroadrails wrote:CSRX box car 4615 has been repainted into a MEC inspired paint scheme. It was the car that was sitting by the freight house for many years.

Pics or it didn't happen :-)
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby John Smythe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:47 am

MEC407 wrote:
John Smythe wrote:Perhaps this will awaken the powers to be in Maine that they need to renew efforts to restore the Portland to Fryeburg ROW.

Find someone to pay for it. :-) Until then, I'd prefer that my taxes be spent on more important things.

Where did the monies come from that payed for several miles of new track, ROW repairs, etc that got as far as S. Windham? The State of Maine certainly has money in their transportation budget, combine that with federal dollars & restart the work. There are companies located along the tracks that desire rail service, like the saying goes... " Build it & they will use it " Restored rail service may produce much needed jobs, take trucks off of narrow rural roads, offer someone opportunity to operate a tourist railroad that will link Portland to the White Mountains. Leasing out the restored tracks will put money back into the state coffers. It's all a matter of thinking outside the box.

All the congestion along Rt 302 between Westbrook, Maine to Conway, NH? There is a better way to ease up the high volume of cars & trucks on that route, fix the railroad line, provide tax breaks for those businesses located along the route to encourage them to ship by rail or come locate a new business that will ship by rail. Maine should stop screwing around and finish what it started, dropping the ball does nothing.
John Smythe

Postby flyingfox10 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:20 am

The CSRX box car was an ex MEC, and I think its new number is the original. There are a few operations in New England where you can wander around the yard. Another great place is to visit the WW&F where you are welcome to wander through the shops, car barn, etc. The shop is kind of messy but it is a small working shop with a lot of things and projects. Another place is the Sandy River & Rangely Lakes museum in Phillips Maine. They also have a coach that was at Conway Scenic in the early 90's
flyingfox10

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm

How old do you think the rails are at the Bartlett wye?
theseaandalifesaver

Postby MEC407 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:10 pm

John Smythe wrote:Where did the monies come from that payed for several miles of new track, ROW repairs, etc that got as far as S. Windham?

I wasn't in favor of that either. Citing an example of wasteful spending is not a good selling point for more wasteful spending.

John Smythe wrote:The State of Maine certainly has money in their transportation budget...

That money is for other transportation projects. Which transportation projects do you think should be put on hold or canceled in order to rebuild the MD so that a private tourist railroad can possibly/maybe use it? (Note that Conway Scenic ownership past and present have never gone on public record as saying they would run trains to Portland.)
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Postby flyingfox10 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:25 pm

The rail on the Bartlett wye if memory serves correctly is 1920's 75 lb rail.
flyingfox10

Postby Mikejf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:36 am

MEC407 wrote:
John Smythe wrote:Where did the monies come from that payed for several miles of new track, ROW repairs, etc that got as far as S. Windham?

I wasn't in favor of that either. Citing an example of wasteful spending is not a good selling point for more wasteful spending.

Actually, they put the funding together in the Transportation Bonds that year. If you voted to approved the road repair, you approved all others tied to it. Ship, Rail, etc. I tried to get my local senator to try to get the transportation articles seperated so you could vote on what you actually wanted. Fell on deaf ears..
Mikejf

PreviousNext

Return to New England Railfan