BASF Chemical plant to close??

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby blockline4180 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:05 pm

bk77 wrote:
Sirsonic wrote:pdtrains - Its still possible to back out of Croxton at HX and from there head east on the Bergen County to Laurel. Once there, simply continue east on the Main Line to West End, around the wye, and west on the Morristown Line to your destination of choice. NS currently uses this routing to access customers on the Harrison Industrial in Harrison. Also, I cant be certain how things were in the EL days, but by the time I got there, if you went down the High Line at Bergen Jct that would just take you back to the east end of Croxton.


This is correct, I occasionally see NS go past the MMC on the M&E with a hand full of tank cars going to and from Harrison (usually at night). However, as already stated, you have clearance issues on NJT West of Harrison. A Morristown and Erie employee had once told me that they were limited on the size of cars they could interchange with CSX at Center St. Knowing NJT, I'm sure they have very little/no interest in adjusting these clearance issues to bring more freight over their railroad.


Right, but aside from covered hoppers and tank cars I don't really think M&E handles anything else that would cause a problem through Roseville.
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
User avatar
blockline4180
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am
Location: NJ and me, Broke Together!

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby bk77 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Regarding the H65 (or H74?), does it run on Sundays? If so, anyone know the Sunday schedule (sign up time and location, its usual routine, etc.)?? Now that I'm off on Sundays for the first time in years, I'm eager to go out and photograph the WASS which I've never done before....
bk77
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby IRN750 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:01 pm

H74 is on duty at Allentown at 730am on Sundays depts. Allentown 9-930am. Depemding on train size when they get to Washington if they have a large train for Dover they will shove it off in the yard then switch BASF. If the train fits between the crossing and BASF they will stop and switch BASF then take the cars to the yard afterwards. The H74 will leave their power on the Old Road and taxi back to Allentown.
IRN750
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:56 pm
Location: LEHIGH VALLEY,PA

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby bk77 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:29 pm

IRN750 wrote:H74 is on duty at Allentown at 730am on Sundays depts. Allentown 9-930am. Depemding on train size when they get to Washington if they have a large train for Dover they will shove it off in the yard then switch BASF. If the train fits between the crossing and BASF they will stop and switch BASF then take the cars to the yard afterwards. The H74 will leave their power on the Old Road and taxi back to Allentown.


Very cool. Thanks!
bk77
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby badorder » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:52 pm

The h-65 did not switch BASF on Wednesday account there was nothing ordered to be done, also from a good intel, that ALL BASF cars for the Washington plant are being held at Allentown yard, pending, pending what???..I don't know.
badorder
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby blockline4180 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:35 pm

badorder wrote:The h-65 did not switch BASF on Wednesday account there was nothing ordered to be done, also from a good intel, that ALL BASF cars for the Washington plant are being held at Allentown yard, pending, pending what???..I don't know.


The plant sounds shut down this evening!! Usually I hear a lot of hissing and noise, this is not the case tonight! Hope it doesn't mean anything!
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
User avatar
blockline4180
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am
Location: NJ and me, Broke Together!

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby bk77 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:45 pm

I was out there today (Sunday). H74 still had nothing inbound for BASF, although they did switch the plant. Saw workers inside when I drove past the main gate, so the plant did seem somewhat active. For the record: H74 had 24 cars, mostly covered/cylinderical hoppers w/ 2 black tank cars and a Railbox car...
bk77
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby pdtrains » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:34 am

So any news about BASF? It's been 6 weeks since last report from anyone.

If it does. or has shut down, expect the washington job to be cut back to 2 days a week.. BASF is or was 3/4's of their work.

Or maybe a 2 day out and back to Lake Jct. That would get the M&E their cars quicker.
pdtrains
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: Phila, PA, Paso Robles, CA

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby blockline4180 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:26 am

pdtrains wrote:So any news about BASF? It's been 6 weeks since last report from anyone.

If it does. or has shut down, expect the washington job to be cut back to 2 days a week.. BASF is or was 3/4's of their work.

Or maybe a 2 day out and back to Lake Jct. That would get the M&E their cars quicker.



Seems to be back up and running again pdtrains.... Wasn't offline for long.
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
User avatar
blockline4180
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am
Location: NJ and me, Broke Together!

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby bk77 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:26 pm

I was in P-burg yesterday and talked to a guy who said he knows a couple guys who work at BASF, who told him they never heard anything about the plant closing. I also caught the H74 heading to Washington, the last 4 cars were the same tan colored tank cars that get delivered to BASF.

Based on all that it sounds like the plant is either not closing anytime soon or was nothing more than a rumor to begin with.
bk77
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby riffian » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:58 pm

riffian
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:29 am
Location: New Castle, Delaware

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby pdtrains » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:44 pm

3 years off....anything could happen.
Their initial decision is probably that it is better to build new facilities in chemical friendly, labor unfriendly Louisiana, than upgrade facilities in NJ. OTOH, the facility in Washington is closer to the pharm plants up here....OTOOH, the chemicals that are
inbound to Washington, probably come from louisiana, anyway.

So H65 should remain as is for the foreseeable future. Saw it on tuesday EB...looked like a GP-38 and an SD-40....23 cars, including 6 tank cars for BASF
pdtrains
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: Phila, PA, Paso Robles, CA

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby blockline4180 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:02 pm

pdtrains wrote:3 years off....anything could happen.
Their initial decision is probably that it is better to build new facilities in chemical friendly, labor unfriendly Louisiana, than upgrade facilities in NJ. OTOH, the facility in Washington is closer to the pharm plants up here....OTOOH, the chemicals that are
inbound to Washington, probably come from louisiana, anyway.

So H65 should remain as is for the foreseeable future. Saw it on tuesday EB...looked like a GP-38 and an SD-40....23 cars, including 6 tank cars for BASF



I doubt it... The manufacturing Industry has been moving out of this state rapidly for a while now.....

That guy I talked to was right and everybody gets on my case for it!! I love it!!:-(

Get those pictures while you can!!
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
User avatar
blockline4180
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am
Location: NJ and me, Broke Together!

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby pdtrains » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Did anyone ever tell you that you have simplistic answers to complex issues.
Do you know anything about the chemical industry?

I said ANYTHING could happen. Try to disprove that.
pdtrains
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: Phila, PA, Paso Robles, CA

Re: BASF Chemical plant to close??

Postby riffian » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 am

Did this plant ever finally close? Any plans for remediation of the property?
riffian
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:29 am
Location: New Castle, Delaware

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Railfan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests