WCRR Excursion - West Chester to Lansdale - 6/4/11

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Re: WCRR Excursion - West Chester to Lansdale - 6/4/11

Postby Franklin Gowen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:41 pm

RCman2626 wrote:Only the RS-18 has been cleared through the tunnel. The C424 is too tall and will hit the overhead. It will be dropped off at Poweltown Ave and the #70 will take its place. I believe our RS-18 will be in the lead on both legs of the trip. The photo stops are to be announced, but will include some on the Pennsy side and Reading side.

While I'm usually indifferent to motive power in general, be it freight or passenger (as long as it's reliable), it is interesting to hear that your RS-18 may be in the lead in both directions. Somehow I assumed that the long stop at 30th St. Sta. was to put SEPTA #70 on the point for the tunnel + the Reading side of the trip, but I'm unsure why I thought that. [-shrug-]

I am also happy to learn that photo stops are being carefully planned for the RDG side in addition to the PRR side. The Lansdale layover is likely going to be a photo-hostile environment on account of the large crowds present, due to the borough's annual festival. Nice to know that pax will be able to get photos of our train at other locations along the old Reading. Thank you for this timely update!
Franklin Gowen • • • • READING COMPANY forum moderator
The long-hoped-for return of this railroad's Fallen Flag forum is here!
In 2018, the RDG overlaps with SEPTA, NS, CSX and several shortlines - that's life . . .
Franklin Gowen

Postby BuddSilverliner269 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:16 am

Ok I talked to the engineer (Vince J) who will be running the train and its exactly what RCman said. The C424 will be cut off in Powelton yard and will be picked up on the return because it will not clear the tunnel. Regardless, it should still be a nice trip.
Last edited by BuddSilverliner269 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuddSilverliner269

Postby MACTRAXX » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:31 am

Everyone: As a former Lansdale resident (I lived there for much of the 90s) there are two stand out June events that happen in Lansdale each year:

Lansdale Day-which is the subject of this fan trip-and the Fairmount Fire Company-sponsored "Under The Lights Car Show" which is scheduled for Saturday June 18th this year...West Main Street is closed between Broad Street and Valley Forge Road after 5pm and the show officially begins at 7pm...I believe an average of 500 vehicles are
usually on display and the FFC web site displays a page showing the vehicles who have signed up for the show as the date nears...this show is easy to access by train
as the station area during the show hours is perfectly located...and with parking in town on that evening tight all around surrounding the show along with road detours
taking a SEPTA train there and perhaps parking elsewhere is a good move...

I think that this car show could be a future destination for a fan trip...I would not mind seeing a classic locomotive on display alongside some old vintage restored trucks
which were usually on display in the station vicinity...and I feel that perhaps a display of some restored older rail equipment at the Station would only add to what to me
is arguably the best single evening of the year in Lansdale...

For more information see: www.fairmountfireco.com/htm-docs/carshow.htm and it includes a section with pictures from the last 6 shows 2005-2010

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby glennk419 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:42 am

Is there an echo in here? ;)
Glenn
glennk419

Postby BuddSilverliner269 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:45 pm

glennk419 wrote:Is there an echo in here? ;)

Is there an echo in here???? Haha, Im only messing with you.I just had to reiterate what RCman said because I clearly misunderstood what the engineer for this trip told me was going to happen. I was under the impression that all 3 units would make it thru the tunnel.
BuddSilverliner269

Postby glennk419 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:02 pm

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
glennk419 wrote:Is there an echo in here? ;)

Is there an echo in here???? Haha, Im only messing with you.I just had to reiterate what RCman said because I clearly misunderstood what the engineer for this trip told me was going to happen. I was under the impression that all 3 units would make it thru the tunnel.

No problem, Budd. Just messing back and a little Sunday morning sarcasm on my part. We all know that you are amongst the most reliable sources we have on here (NO sarcasm). I personally would have LOVED to see and hear the big ALCO on this side of the railroad.
Glenn
glennk419

Postby rwk » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:11 pm

Also, when was the last time you could ride in open window coaches on the Philly-Lansdale portion? I would think the Oct 1991 trips with Reading 2102 from Lansdale to Glenside which used the BM&R/RBMN coaches. I wonder if they'll have strict rules about sticking heads, arms out of windows since there will be so many close clearances and a second track from Elwyn to Lansdale with active SEPTA trains. How can they run this without interfering with SEPTA's regular timetable? Will the special have to run in between SEPTA trains and if SEPTA stops at every station how will it work for this train to run express without stopping except at 30th St. and photo stops? Can you get off at 30th St. and get back on before it leaves or is everyone required to stay on the train during the locomotive change?
rwk

Postby scotty269 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:31 pm

rwk wrote:Also, when was the last time you could ride in open window coaches on the Philly-Lansdale portion? I would think the Oct 1991 trips with Reading 2102 from Lansdale to Glenside which used the BM&R/RBMN coaches. I wonder if they'll have strict rules about sticking heads, arms out of windows since there will be so many close clearances and a second track from Elwyn to Lansdale with active SEPTA trains. How can they run this without interfering with SEPTA's regular timetable? Will the special have to run in between SEPTA trains and if SEPTA stops at every station how will it work for this train to run express without stopping except at 30th St. and photo stops? Can you get off at 30th St. and get back on before it leaves or is everyone required to stay on the train during the locomotive change?

Don't forget, this is a weekend. If this was during peak time, or during a weekday I'd worry.
scotty269

Postby RCman2626 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:43 am

rwk wrote:Also, when was the last time you could ride in open window coaches on the Philly-Lansdale portion? I would think the Oct 1991 trips with Reading 2102 from Lansdale to Glenside which used the BM&R/RBMN coaches. I wonder if they'll have strict rules about sticking heads, arms out of windows since there will be so many close clearances and a second track from Elwyn to Lansdale with active SEPTA trains. How can they run this without interfering with SEPTA's regular timetable? Will the special have to run in between SEPTA trains and if SEPTA stops at every station how will it work for this train to run express without stopping except at 30th St. and photo stops? Can you get off at 30th St. and get back on before it leaves or is everyone required to stay on the train during the locomotive change?

All passengers will have to get off at 30th St during the engine change as passengers are not allowed in Powelton yard. There is enough time on weekends to get our train through without a problem. Remember, photo stops are at SEPTA's discretion. As to open windows...common sense man. You wouldn't stick your head out an automobile at 55mph.
West Chester Railroad
http://www.westchesterRR.com
RCman2626

Postby BuddSilverliner269 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:13 am

RCman, I wasnt sure what Septa was going to do with the passengers during this time when the train backed into Powelton. Usually yard tracks arent allowed to carry passengers , but its a weekend and the yard is closed on Saturdays. I remember when I was still at Septa, there was some kind of major track or wire problem In or near Wayne interlocking, and Septa wanted to run the trains, so they routed them thru Roberts Yard. Does anyone remember that? I dont remember what the incident was about but it was a major issue on the Main Line
BuddSilverliner269

Postby gprimr1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:17 pm

So it's going to start in West Chester, run up the Media/Elwyn line, then run the Reading Side of the R-5 up to Landsdale?
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Postby Franklin Gowen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:49 pm

gprimr1 wrote:So it's going to start in West Chester, run up the Media/Elwyn line, then run the Reading Side of the R-5 up to Landsdale?

You got it, Greg.
In 2018, the RDG overlaps with SEPTA, NS, CSX and several shortlines - that's life . . .
Franklin Gowen

Postby rwk » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:18 am

I have to vent. I was going to go on this train, but after my mom found out where it was she said no and canceled the tickets because I have a cousin that lives in West Chester (well, he moved to just west of the town) and he doesn't communicate with us or come to see us or invite us down and my mom is bitter about it and going there would only remind her about it that we would be so close to him and can't see him and his family. My mom also hardly communicates with her sister, who lives in Newtown since 1979 and is the mother of my cousin in West Chester as well as my other cousin (female) who now lives in Lancaster and is married. So, I won't be riding the West Chester Railroad anytime soon unless my mom can get over the issue with my cousin, her nephew. My aunt and her family seems to shun us, look down on us for some reason. She was married to the same husband since 1970, but my mom lost her husband, my father, on March 8, 1986 he was an alcoholic, and my mom had dated bum men since then. and I think my aunt looks down on that. Years ago we had a picnic at my house and my aunt's family came up and my dad said a racial slur to my uncle and my uncle said to his family "come on, let's go" and they left and went home. I'm not sure if it was the time when they were living in Allentown, PA (until 1977) or Hockessin, DE (1977-1978) or Newtown (1979 and up). so those are some of the reasons why I can't ride this train. Because it's in West Chester and my mom would feel uneasy going to West Chester.
rwk

Postby Franklin Gowen » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:02 am

rwk wrote:Because it's in West Chester and my mom would feel uneasy going to West Chester.

So here's your solution: ride it without Mom. Sounds like you could use a break from the family drama. :)
Franklin Gowen

Postby scotty269 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:23 am

Honestly, you can save us from the family stories every time you post here buddy.
scotty269

PreviousNext

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)