Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Postby pumpers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:43 pm

One more thing. From Google maps, the westernmost active customer on the Delco lead looks to be on Jersey Ave, about 1/2 mile west of the NJT Jersey Ave station. It has a 3 track yard and a few dozen covered hoppers I see and looks like perhaps a transfer station (for garbage??), although the aerial photo seems a bit too tidy for that. Who knows what it is? Thanks, Jim S
pumpers

Postby OportRailfan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:44 am

pumpers wrote:One more thing. From Google maps, the westernmost active customer on the Delco lead looks to be on Jersey Ave, about 1/2 mile west of the NJT Jersey Ave station. It has a 3 track yard and a few dozen covered hoppers I see and looks like perhaps a transfer station (for garbage??), although the aerial photo seems a bit too tidy for that. Who knows what it is? Thanks, Jim S

Cal-chlor in the old delco plant that they rehabbed. It looks like they manufacture some form of rock-salt there. All the covered hoppers ME-2 brings out head to there typically.

As far as the Delco lead, I thought the plan was to acquire that to eventually be able to turn trains on the mid-line-loop, to avoid the cross-plant moves (5 to 1 east) at County.
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
OportRailfan

Postby Conrail Blue » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:38 pm

I know it’s asking a lot but does anyone have a current list of customers served by Metuchen yard? And when/how often they get served?
Also has the old NY Times building or the RPM warehouse gotten any cars recently?
Conrail Blue

Postby OportRailfan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:04 am

Conrail Blue wrote:I know it’s asking a lot but does anyone have a current list of customers served by Metuchen yard? And when/how often they get served?
Also has the old NY Times building or the RPM warehouse gotten any cars recently?

I don't think the NY Times building gets serviced (I just can't tell, doesn't look like there's any change in there), but usually every morning, a CR job comes across Woodbridge Ave and it looks like it goes into the yard adjacent to RPM
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
OportRailfan

Previous

Return to New Jersey Railfan