CSX River Line Status Updates

Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Re: CSX River Line Status Updates

Postby CPSK » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:06 pm

I've been listening on the radio to the CSX River line activity and it seems that the NI dispatcher is now in Jacksonville. Anyone know when it was moved from SK, and whether this is a permanent change or temporary.

CP

Edit: Just read the article about the move to Jax. What a mess it was. I feel for those guys, having to live in temporary conditions for months.
CPSK

Postby waldwickrailfan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:35 am

It is a permanent change.
CSX 3GS21B-DE
waldwickrailfan

Postby airman00 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:44 pm

I happened to be working near the River Line briefly this afternoon and did not actually see this, but at approximately 4:30 pm this afternoon I heard what seemed to be a convoy of MOW equipment passing thru Harrington Park NJ, heading in the direction of Haworth NJ. Anybody know anything?
airman00

Postby CPSK » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:54 am

I'm not sure what type of work they are doing on the River sub, but I have been hearing a lot of activity with crews between CP33 and CP45. I don't normally pick up the crews radios, but I can hear the dispatcher's radio.

I would also like to add another question:
Is the DED at MP 20.5 out of service?
I used to hear it reliably from my Teaneck home (using a roof mounted Ringo Ranger ARX-2B and my Yaesu FT-60R or VX-150), but for the past couple of weeks I haven't heard a peep out of it.
I did hear the DED at MP 38.5 last night though. That one has always put in a stronger signal at my location.
CPSK

Postby CPSK » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:37 am

At 12:28PM on 6-20-2018, I heard the DED at MP 38.5 report 912 axles.
I heard the DED at MP 7.2 report "niner one two", but didn't think I heard it correctly, but then heard the DED at MP 38.5 report the same number.
figure 4 locos (I am not at all sure about this) with 6 axles each, that would leave 888 axles for the cars. If each car has 4 axles, the train has 222 cars.
How is this possible on the River sub? I heard one with over 700 axles once, but this one is by far the longest train I have ever heard.
Even if the train had 10 locomotives, that would still be a very long train.
Unfortunately, I didn't catch the symbol of the train.

CP
CPSK

Postby CPSK » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:26 am

To answer my own question about the DED at MP 20.5:
I can hear it (barely) on my Yaesu VX-150 when the squelch is turned way down. The signal still 'picket fences' or chops in and out, but I can at least hear part of the transmission. The difference between sensitivity of the VX-150 and the FT-60R is probably about 3dB; Not much, but just enough to make the difference.
That said, I was using the FT-60 exclusively for months, and was hearing the detector fairly reliably until a few weeks ago. It could be a combination of several things, including:
Leaves on trees
Antenna/Radio issues at either the transmitter or my receiver
New construction near the site of the detector
Weather
CPSK

Previous

Return to CSX Transportation