Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Tadman, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America

Re: Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

Postby David Benton » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 pm

possibly off topic , but I wonder if they have considered moving the intercom system over to the wifi ? As i think most problems with it originate form the intercar connections .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby Cosakita18 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:56 pm

Dick H wrote:Possibility that the PA system was not working in your car. They are notorious
for either low volume or not working at all....

I assumed something like that, but are automated announcements possible in those amfleet coaches?
Cosakita18

Postby gokeefe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:45 pm

No.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby east point » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Dick H wrote:Possibility that the PA system was not working in your car. They are notorious

As we understand it the PA anouncements go over the 2nd 27 point connecter. Those connectors when not used appear to be subject to a lot of moisture. Wonder if the connectors were connected on both side that would happen.? Maybe before plugging the cables in installer give it a shot of contact cleaner ? Maybe use the new coaxial cable connections that can be ovserved on Siemens SC-44s and ACS-64s?
east point

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:13 am

Would not surprise me that the contact pins have corrosion problems, also there're bad/broken wires in the comm cables between the cars.
Backshophoss

Postby MEC407 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:56 am

Cosakita18 wrote:sorry I should have clarified, I meant station announcements on the train. I didn't know those were being rolled out though, I rode 684 the other day and none of the staff on the train made announcements about what station we were at.

In the past when I've been on the Downeaster, station stops were either announced over the PA system, or if the PA system was not working properly, the conductor or assistant conductor would walk through the car and make the announcement as he grabbed the seat checks of passengers who would be departing at the upcoming station. I can even recall a few occasions when the conductor did both: made the announcement over the PA, and then made the announcement again to me and my seat mate as he grabbed our seat checks.

I suppose it depends on the individual conductor and how seriously they take their job. :wink:
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Postby charlesriverbranch » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Unfortunately, what tends to happen too often is that departing passengers wait until the train is actually stopped at their stop, then begin gathering up all their belongings at a leisurely pace. It's a wonder they all manage to get off before the train departs.
charlesriverbranch

Postby Dick H » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 pm

During the stops with a modest number of detraining passengers through a single door, the conductor
does a quick count (he has the number of detraining ticket holders at that stop in his computer). His
main reason to do so is to know when he can allow waiting passengers to board. Often the A/C is just
inside the door and looks both ways to see if any stragglers are heading for the door.

When the DE first started running 17 years ago, you had older husbands boarding the train to assist their
wives to get a seat and put their luggage in the rack. That dated back to the time, when most trains
spent more time at the stations handling baggage, mail, etc. Anyone trying that today, will get a ride
to the next station. In addition, the conductor and a/c often want to see a ticket in hand for boarding
passengers. The DE crews have the boarding, detraining procedures down to a science.
Dick H

Postby gokeefe » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:28 pm

Dick H wrote:The DE crews have the boarding, detraining procedures down to a science.

They have gotten so good at it that large crowds at the station are difficult to accommodate within the schedule. I saw this during the summer and frankly the demand was astonishing.

There were crowds that would have been straight out of a movie from the 1920's.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby sicariis » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:50 am

Been seeing multiple stories of local public transit agencies facing funding shortages with inability to access their FTA funding due to the Federal Government shutdown and will be looking for credit or additional local funding to fill the shortfall if they don't become available soon.

With roughly 38% of the Downeaster funding coming from the FTA as well, I'm curious to know how long NNEPRA's funding runway lasts before they'll be in a similar predicament, looking for a stopgap.
sicariis

Postby gokeefe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:41 pm

Tough to say for sure. If the funding is going to come through eventually I would expect the current administration will do whatever it takes to keep the wheels rolling.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Dick H » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:29 pm

NNEPRA is planning to run a full schedule for the weekend.
http://amtrakdowneaster.com/service-alerts

It should be noted that several of the switch heaters on the power switches have
continued to be "troublesome" since the fall tie replacement project. Any major
power outages that take out the switch heaters, track signals and crossing
crossing protection will likely curtail or end service.
Dick H

Postby mtuandrew » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:42 pm

gokeefe wrote:Tough to say for sure. If the funding is going to come through eventually I would expect the current administration will do whatever it takes to keep the wheels rolling.

Lest we forget, the SecTrans has an especially good working relationship with the Senate Majority Leader - if it’s a priority of hers (i.e. if voters can convince her to make transit funding a priority), he can make it happen.
mtuandrew

Postby Dick H » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:15 pm

C&J Bus is shutting down completely on Sunday, January 20th.

C&J Boston Service

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 C&J Bus Lines will curtail operations with the last coach departing southbound from Dover at 8:30pm, Portsmouth at 9:00pm and Newburyport at 9:30. The last trip northbound will depart Boston South Station at 11:00pm and Logan Airport at 11:10pm. On Sunday, January 20, 2019 C&J all service between Boston South Station and Logan Airport have been canceled. C&J Schedules will resume with hourly service to Boston South Station and Logan Airport on Monday, January 21st for Martin Luther King Day. Schedules are dependent on weather conditions and are subject to change.

C&J New York City Service

C&J has canceled all New York City Service on Sunday, January 20, 2019. NYC Service will resume on Monday January 21st. C&J will operate additional schedules Monday from New York City to assist with the travel demand. Schedules are dependent on weather conditions and are subject to change.

Concord Trailways is cancelling some late Portland service on Saturday, January 19th and all Portland service on Sunday, January 20th.

https://concordcoachlines.com/all-servi ... y-20-2019/
Dick H

Postby Dick H » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:29 pm

A broken rail at the RT. 236 crossing in South Berwick Maine has caused major delays in several DE's
this afternoon )1/20) Details here,
http://amtrakdowneaster.com/service-alerts
Dick H

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak