All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: Robert Paniagua, therock, mtuandrew

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Postby Sand Box John » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:33 pm

"davinp"

It seems Metro put most of the 7000 series in MD on the Green & Red lines and dumped the old cars to Virginia on OR/SV/BL lines.
That's not fair Virginia gets stuck with more of the old cars.

Likely because those lines are closer the Greenbelt primary maintenance facility. Greenbelt will find itself sharing that distinction with Dulles Yard when it opens with phase II of the Tysons, Dulles, Ashburn N Route Silver line.

Also, why is Metro putting 8 car trains of old cars together?

Because they can.

I thought only the 7000 series were supposed to be 8 cars, not the 6000 or 3000 series which I've been seeing lately.

To my knowledge there is no policy restricting the dispatching 8 car trains composed of aluminum rolling stock.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
Sand Box John

Postby YOLO » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:33 pm

BTW they still mix rail cars if they have to
YOLO

Postby davinp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:35 pm

This afternoon on an Orange Line the automated system would say "This is a 7000 series train" at every train.
Apparently, the train didn't know what line it was on
davinp

Postby Sand Box John » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 am

"davinp"
This afternoon on an Orange Line the automated system would say "This is a 7000 series train" at every train.
Apparently, the train didn't know what line it was on

I have read posts elsewhere that state that announcement is being made by k7s everywhere. Speculation is it has something to do with the between cars handicap safety barriers.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
Sand Box John

Postby Chris Brown » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:15 am

srepetsk wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:Interesting tidbit from the replies in Twitter:

@railtransitops: The noise issue was fixed with a redesign of the wheel angle in relation to the rails. ~RB

There's more in the report that came from. The 7ks were delivered with a wheel flange angle of 63 degrees; Metro's standard is 70. They've been truing them all to 70-degrees since delivery, so you may have already noticed the change.

If 70-degrees was in the specs why did Kawasaki manufacturer them with 63-degrees?
Chris Brown

Previous

Return to DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)