Amtrak Photo policy?

Discussion related to the National Railroad Passenger Corp. This forum is not affiliated with or endorsed by Amtrak/NRPC in any way. Official site: AMTRAK.COM. Amtrak is officially a Class I carrier but is categorized on this site as passenger rail.

Moderators: Jeff Smith, Tadman, gprimr1

Amtrak Photo policy?

Postby acelaman » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:50 pm

Anyone know Amtrak's photography policy? I live near and travel NJT Coast Line and have been aware of NJT's photo policy that requires a permit. Does Amtrak have a similar policy? Heading to WAS in a few weeks and would like to take some pics if at all possible. Thanks
acelaman

Re: Amtrak Photo policy?

Postby BNSF 1088 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:42 pm

acelaman wrote:Anyone know Amtrak's photography policy? I live near and travel NJT Coast Line and have been aware of NJT's photo policy that requires a permit. Does Amtrak have a similar policy? Heading to WAS in a few weeks and would like to take some pics if at all possible. Thanks

The big rule is don't TRESPASS other than that mabey at some large Stations there might be some rules but Amtrak will let you take pictures of there trains.
BNSF 1088

Postby chuchubob » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:20 pm

Amtrak encourages (non tresspassing) photography of Amtrak trains. They run a photo contest every year.

I don't know what NJTransit's policy is regarding photographing Amtrak trains from NJT property. No NJT police were around when I took these while on a platform at NJT's Trenton station:

http://www.subwayspot.com/gallery/album50/04_05_27_14

http://www.subwayspot.com/gallery/album50/04_05_27_09
chuchubob

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:13 am

chuchubob, ncie pictures of that HHP-8. do you know what train # that was? and did it stop at that station?
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Amtrak

Postby David Telesha » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:44 pm

Last edited by David Telesha on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Just a friendly reminder that "blanking" or "redacting" your own posts is against RAILROAD.NET Terms of Service agreement. Doing so constitutes vandalism, and is grounds for permanent removal.
David Telesha

Amtrak HHP-8 #653

Postby chuchubob » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:08 pm

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:chuchubob, ncie pictures of that HHP-8. do you know what train # that was? and did it stop at that station?

It did stop at Trenton, and left at 6:43 PM, simultaneously with an NJT New York train.

http://www.subwayspot.com/gallery/album50/04_05_27_15
chuchubob

Postby mlrr » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:10 pm

I took some photos on train 95 about a week ago, while talking with some of the train crewmembers. There was no conflict at all. Some even let me know when the diesel engine would make its way to the head of our train (we were switching power in Washington D.C.)

here are two that I took in D.C.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/131 ... 2670zUwuKj

http://community.webshots.com/photo/131 ... 2429eGZYwR

I wish the quality was better, but in time it will be, lol
mlrr

Postby AmtrakFan » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:01 am

When I had that problem once I called Amtrak and the person just said I had the right to and the attendent was unprofessional with what she said to me. That I had to ask to take Photos. I was on Public Property.
AmtrakFan

Postby Fred G » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:57 am

acelaman wrote:Anyone know Amtrak's photography policy? I live near and travel NJT Coast Line and have been aware of NJT's photo policy that requires a permit. Does Amtrak have a similar policy? Heading to WAS in a few weeks and would like to take some pics if at all possible. Thanks

The Amtrak police roll their own photo policy. In New London, I can take all the photos I want from the streets and waterfront walkway, unencumbered. In New Haven, not so. Just this past Friday, I was detained in my vehicle for almost half an hour as several NHPD officers and 1 Amtrak policeman verified my ID and background. I had taken a few photos of locomotives in the yard from the sidewalk of Union Avenue, arguably a public street. I was told by the Amtrak officer that I needed written permission to take ANY rail photos and that it was illegal to photograph private property. "Baloney" I said, "I'm on a public street." He maintained his position and then said "I'm only giving you a verbal warning this time." I left New Haven and travelled to Guilford, where I took more photos, as it's best to "get back on the horse".

Here is a couple of the photos I took:

http://www.madre-de-dios.org/albums/AmtrakNewHaven/P42s_NH.sized.jpg
http://www.madre-de-dios.org/albums/AmtrakNewHaven/P42_108_NH.sized.jpg
Your pal,
Fred

My Photo Gallery
Fred G

Re: Amtrak

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:24 pm

David Telesha wrote:My overall point. Amtrak HQ doesn't seem to care - only some nasty ____head (insert favorite expletive) employees that hate railfans are the problem. The same happened to me with CSX.

I think being friendly has little to do with policy. If I am given instructions to report all trespassers, or those we feel are suspect, then we have no lattitude in what action we are to take. There has never been anything in the bulletin that states, "except known railfans".

Personally, I care not who takes photos, but anything even considered unsafe by my peers , or myself will be cause for action. This includes areas which have form C or form B bulletins in effect. Cross a track outside a public easement, you are done.

Has it been done? Yes, more times than I care to share. Is it a majority of those in the hobby? Hardly.

And to be honest, what one department does or says, take some time to filter to others. Don't expect the gumshoe to give you permission, and telephone every operating employee or Mow gang. It just ain't gonna happen.

If all this is policy in rural Iowa, rest assured other carriers in larger localities also have the same thing on their mind.

Postby David Telesha » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:05 pm

zzzzzz
Last edited by David Telesha on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a friendly reminder that "blanking" or "redacting" your own posts is against RAILROAD.NET Terms of Service agreement. Doing so constitutes vandalism, and is grounds for permanent removal.
David Telesha

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:26 pm

Speaking as a Fellow Member in this instance, I would think that Amtrak is in a difficult position with regards to delineating an amateur photography policy.

First, most of Amtrak's trains, in terms of route miles, operate over someone else's road (Host, in Amtrakese). Their officers, operating and police, rightly have jurisdiction in any manner regarding protection of their property. Furthermore, Amtrak has apparently ceded jurisdiction over their ROW in New Jersey to NJT's (fully sworn) police officers.

Having to coordinate with a myriad of law enforcement agencies would appear to make any kind of a delineated photo policy that was National in scope, difficult to impossible.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby David Telesha » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:37 pm

zzzzzzzzz
Last edited by David Telesha on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Telesha

Postby AMoreira81 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:27 pm

Strange thing is, in Washington Union Station, photography there is strictly forbidden (as a station rule, not an Amtrak rule). Same with Grand Central on the platforms.)

Anyhow, here is what looks like a NY-Harrisburg train. Or is this a Three Rivers (now discontinued) train? (From December 29, 2004.)
AMoreira81

Postby wigwagfan » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:14 pm

I guess I have been on the lucky side of things - at Portland Union Station, there are various public walkways (newly constructed) surrounding the station area, as well as a pedestrian bridge over the tracks. I've walked onto the station platforms (even when not boarding a train) and have never been questioned.

Never had a problem in Seattle either, in fact met a really nice Amtrak crew up there who gave me a heads up on equipment moves.

In Los Angeles, while connecting between a Coast Starlight and a Surfliner, I was at the east end of the platform taking pictures of the PV cars, and some of the crews driving around in their buggies stopped and waited for me to finish shooting. Quite nice of them, took me by surprise. Even waved at me (with all fingers) when I was done and they drove by. (This was in 2003).

I was granted permission to be on railroad property by a BNSF police officer (in early 2002) - I asked him if I could take a certain photograph, and he only advised me to stay off the tracks. He had driven around, and gave me a friendly wave as I was walking back to my car.

So - stay safe, stay on public property or public access areas, never turn your back to a train and always be aware of your surroundings - trains, employees, passengers, whatever. Act professional, you'll be treated professional.
wigwagfan

Next

Return to Amtrak