Chemical Coast Line Questions

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

Chemical Coast Line Questions

Postby Eric Kreszl » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:30 pm

Hello,

I have several Questions about this Line.

1. What are the current customers on this line and how often is it used?

2. I noticed that there are A LOT of tank cars that are black with a yellow center band on the freight line a lot lately. What are these tank cars carrying?

3. I also notice a lot of Covered hopper cars on this line lately. Does anyone know what these are for.

4. Are those moveable bridges still active and if so who controls them?

5. I also noticed an approach signal on the line and was wondering what its for as there are 2 on the signal mast itself one in each direction and both have letter A's on each side. Also why is the one head turned away from the tracks. I have photos of the signal I have taken myself. The quality is not great as these were grab shots and I took them from inside my car and NO I WAS NOT DRIVING WHEN I TOOK THE PHOTO.

Here are the Photo links

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net ... ?id=629590

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net ... ?id=629592

If anyone has any answers to these questions please let me know.

Thank You Very Much,

Eric
Eric Kreszl
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Little Silver NJ NJT NJCL Signal/Milepost L18.8 Home signal

Re: Chemical Coast Line Questions

Postby wolfboy8171981 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:17 am

Eric Kreszl wrote:Hello,

I have several Questions about this Line.

1. What are the current customers on this line and how often is it used?

2. I noticed that there are A LOT of tank cars that are black with a yellow center band on the freight line a lot lately. What are these tank cars carrying?

3. I also notice a lot of Covered hopper cars on this line lately. Does anyone know what these are for.

4. Are those moveable bridges still active and if so who controls them?

5. I also noticed an approach signal on the line and was wondering what its for as there are 2 on the signal mast itself one in each direction and both have letter A's on each side. Also why is the one head turned away from the tracks. I have photos of the signal I have taken myself. The quality is not great as these were grab shots and I took them from inside my car and NO I WAS NOT DRIVING WHEN I TOOK THE PHOTO.

Here are the Photo links

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net ... ?id=629590

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net ... ?id=629592

If anyone has any answers to these questions please let me know.

Thank You Very Much,

Eric


Answers:

1. The line is used every day by alot of diffrent jobs. Its used by Road trains and yard jobs. The line is over 15 Miles in lenght. Do you want to know all the active customers on the line for the entire 15 miles, Port Newark included?

2. Methelethel Bad S%!t

3. The Covered Hoppers are for Phillips Petroleum inside the Bayway refinery.

4. Only Rahway Movable Bridge is still active and is controled by the South Jersey Traindispatcher.

5. There are 6 such siginals on the Chemical Coast. Those siginals are desigated as distant siginals by the letter "A". The chemical coast is DCS or "Form D" territory. There are now three interlockings on the Coast, CP-RI, CP-RH and CP-PD. Those siginals with the "A" are the distant siginals to the Home siginals found at each interlocking, one for each direction. Since its DCS territory those distant siginals only convay what the home siginal is displaying and not Block condition. Example if the home siginal at CP-PD is displaying a good siginal for a north bound move, the northbound distant siginal to CP-PD will desplay an Approach Clear display "green". IF the northbound home siginal at CP-PD is displaying a Stop Siginal, the northbound distant siginal will display approach restricting "yellow".
wolfboy8171981
 

Postby Eric Kreszl » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:21 pm

I would be interested in knowing the customers BUT also what types of freight cars go to each customer. Also Morristown & Erie railway operates within the Bayway Refinery if I'm correct Right? I also noticed a railroad siding on the Southbound side of the turnpike near the Power Plant. Is it still used? I think when I was younger I used to see autorack cars sitting on the railroad siding.

Eric
Eric Kreszl
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Little Silver NJ NJT NJCL Signal/Milepost L18.8 Home signal

Postby wolfboy8171981 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:48 pm

I'll have a list of customers tomorrow, it would take to much of my free time right now. Yes the Morristown and Erie (Bayshore Terminal Railroad) are the desginated operator for the Conoco Phillips refinary, however its for tax purposes only and are not a common carrier. Conoco Phillips is a Conrail customer not M&E's.
wolfboy8171981
 

Postby ApproachMedium » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:52 pm

As of Dec I believe, that signal is no longer facing the turnpike. To confirm this lastnight when I went north on the turnpike it was facing the ROW and displayed an Approach signal.
No good deed goes unpunished.
User avatar
ApproachMedium
 
Posts: 5845
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Postby 35dtmrs92 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:07 pm

The Chemical Coast Line connects to the NJCL just east of Perth Amboy Station--right?
35dtmrs92
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:40 am
Location: New Haven, CT

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:41 pm

Correct. The connection is at CP Wood.
njt/mnrrbuff
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:33 pm

Postby wolfboy8171981 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:10 pm

Customers on the Chemical Coast, Excluding the ones in the port complex.

MP 4.4 Off the NS E-Rail lead,
Matlack. Tank Cars and Hoppers, There a transload facality.
Central Jersey Pipe. Flatcars and Gons of loaded pipe and Steel

MP5.5/9.5 E-port yard Various
MP 11.4 Bayway Refinery Tank Cars loads and Mtys. Covered Hoppers emptys to be loaded.
Sound Shore Ind- New York Tank. Tank Cars
MP 14.5 Linden Branch- Safety Kleen. Tank Cars to be cleaned.
MP 14.7 Carteret Extention- GATX Terminal 11 tracks. Tank Cars.
FMC Corp 4 tracks. Tank cars and hoppers.
MP 18.2 Motiva Enterprises- Unit trains of Ethenol.
MP 19.3 Chevron Refinery- tank cars.
MP 19.4 Chevron Asphalt- Tank Cars

They dont call it the Chemical Coast for nothing. PN-2 serves te customers in E-port as well as the two on the E-rail lead. PR-1 drills the requirments for the Bayway refinery and NY tank and Saftey Kleen. PR-21 serves GATX and FMC 5 days a week. Motiva is served by unit trains however its usually the PR-8, PR-44 crews on those trains. Chevron is served by the Perth Amboy Crew, PR-20.
wolfboy8171981
 

Postby umtrr-author » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:31 pm

Wolfboy, I lived in Carteret for 20 years and it's interesting to note that of the many industries that were once served there, only GATX and FMC are left.

US Metals & Refining was gone before I was, but there were other customers I'm sure. Even the Carteret Lumber spur saw an occassional car.

Last I checked, there was a track along the "Industrial Road" that almost gets to where US Metals used to be. I assume that it no longer sees any traffic if FMC is the only other customer.
User avatar
umtrr-author
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: UMTRR HQ

Postby wolfboy8171981 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:17 pm

umtrr-author wrote:Wolfboy, I lived in Carteret for 20 years and it's interesting to note that of the many industries that were once served there, only GATX and FMC are left.

US Metals & Refining was gone before I was, but there were other customers I'm sure. Even the Carteret Lumber spur saw an occassional car.

Last I checked, there was a track along the "Industrial Road" that almost gets to where US Metals used to be. I assume that it no longer sees any traffic if FMC is the only other customer.


Yeah its strange the railroad never connected or reconnected that track to track 16 Upper in Port Reading yard. There was talk of a new Lumber customer back there about a year or two ago, but nothing ever came of it.
wolfboy8171981
 

Postby Spartan Phalanx » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:37 am

All the times I've passed by this area on the Turnpike, I've never seen any motive power, just long cuts of tankcars and covered hoppers on the tracks parallel to the Turnpike.
Spartan Phalanx
 

Postby myfavscr » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:01 am

wolfboy8171981 wrote:

Customers on the Chemical Coast, Excluding the ones in the port complex.

MP 4.4 Off the NS E-Rail lead,
Matlack. Tank Cars and Hoppers, There a transload facality.
Central Jersey Pipe. Flatcars and Gons of loaded pipe and Steel


Wolfboy, on the southside of the E-Rail facility there's a building that
I've seen hopper cars spotted at. What customer is that?
myfavscr
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:49 pm
Location: Roselle Park, NJ

Postby wolfboy8171981 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:08 am

If your not talking about Matlack. There was a building and i dont know if they are still in business but Tyco was also off the "industrial" at E-Rail
wolfboy8171981
 

Postby Railfaninnj » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:59 am

Some of the through trains using the Chemical Coast via the Port Reading Seciondary are the NS 214, which terminates at E-Port, and the unit ethanol trains NS 64/65R & 68/69Q, which terminate in Port Reading Yard for further service to the bulk ethanol terminal in Sewarren. There are other intermodals that run up to Portside & Port Newark for sea shipment rather than up to Croxton Yard for land transshipment.

Trains bound for the Port Reading Secondary/Chemical Coast Secondaries first contact Conrail North Jersey DS on AAR 50 (160.860), who instructs them to get a Form D from Conrail South Jersey DS on AAR 55 (160.935). South Jersey DS controls both Secondaries.

Jack
Central_New_Jersey_Wide_Area_Stream@Yahoogroups.com
Railfaninnj
 

Postby Jayjay1213 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:06 pm

Actually the 214 is 50/50 for which way it will go. The 20R is almost a sure shot to go via the Port Reading/Chem Coast Sec.

Most crews just go straight to the source and call South Jersey.
Jayjay1213
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:18 am
Location: Bethpage, NY

Next

Return to New Jersey Railfan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest