Harlem Line Extension To Danbury?

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Re: Harlem Line Extension To Danbury?

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:49 pm

Yes, off peak service during the week on the Danbury Branch has improved, but in general, many people who live in and around Danbury still prefer to drive to either Brewster or Southeast for more frequent service. Throughout the day, there are many instances where the trains will run at least twice an hour. Plus you have a more direct trip. Yes, that is probably true though about heading door to door from your house in Danbury to Grand Central by way of driving to either Brewster or Southeast and then taking the Harlem Line down. It's about an hour and a half train ride from either Southeast or Brewster to Grand Central in general. If you travel during the peak hour, you could probably do a trip from that area to Grand Central in about an hour and twenty minutes.

If you are traveling from Danbury to Grand Central or vice versa, it is almost the same amount of time on a through express train over switching trains in South Norwalk. Sometimes, taking two trains from Danbury to Grand Central Terminal might take a little longer than two hours. I'm sorry to say this but if I lived in Danbury, especially west of the downtown area closer to the State Line, I'm driving to either Southeast or Brewster to get the train there if I wanted to head to the city.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:18 pm

a connection with Danbury will not mean a increase of service and as we noted it would not be much of time improvement either.
also not that as for other station such a connection would not be a winner either time or connection wise . so how many people is Her Mayor talking about ??
psst tellya , just a few in big scheme of things .
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:20 pm

ohh and did I forget to mention that waiting list for parking at Harlem stations is year or more at twice price of parking at Danbury Branch ?

DutchRailnut

Postby Ridgefielder » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:09 pm

hrfcarl wrote:
Ridgefielder wrote:They'd have to build a couple hundred feet of new track on the Brewster end to connect the lines, presumably right around here https://goo.gl/maps/dCus8LaLj5G2

Using the google map linked above, would it be easier to make the connection from the HRRC line to Southeast instead? While not as big as Brewster, Southeast is start of electrified service, the connection would require less curving and the Wassaic diesel shuttles could extend to Danbury. Is there any place in between that would be worth while to add a station?

That was actually what I was thinking- a connection that would take a train from WB on the Maybrook to NB on the Harlem a few hundred yards south of the Southeast station. It seems to me like that is the only thing that would be remotely workable on the Brewster end without disruptive land-taking or building a new bridge over the Croton.

An intermediate station near the intersection of Route 6 and Saw Mill Hill Rd. would probably have a chance at picking up some ridership from people in Ridgebury who are currently driving to Southeast, at least if the parking is free.

If such a service were to operate as an extension of the Wassaic shuttle there might be some people riding inbound to Danbury. I'm guessing that there are plenty of people who live in eastern Putnam and Dutchess counties and work at Danbury Hospital, Boehringer Ingelheim, the Mall, the various businesses in the old Union Carbide building, etc.

A decently-timed transfer at Danbury could also attract some Upper Harlem <-> Norwalk/Stamford ridership.

It's not the most far-fetched thing I've heard of.
Ridgefielder

Postby hrfcarl » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Ridgefielder wrote:An intermediate station near the intersection of Route 6 and Saw Mill Hill Rd. would probably have a chance at picking up some ridership from people in Ridgebury who are currently driving to Southeast, at least if the parking is free.

If such a service were to operate as an extension of the Wassaic shuttle there might be some people riding inbound to Danbury. I'm guessing that there are plenty of people who live in eastern Putnam and Dutchess counties and work at Danbury Hospital, Boehringer Ingelheim, the Mall, the various businesses in the old Union Carbide building, etc.

A decently-timed transfer at Danbury could also attract some Upper Harlem <-> Norwalk/Stamford ridership.

It's not the most far-fetched thing I've heard of.

While one would hope the shuttle extension and a possible stop between Southeast and Danbury would attract ridership vs driving to these counties and stations, the impression I got was for this connection to open options for getting to GCT when there is a disruptions on one of these branches over time savings to NYC, which is why I ended my previous post with the question if this flexibility is worth the cost?
hrfcarl

Postby AMK0123 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm

DutchRailnut wrote:ohh and did I forget to mention that waiting list for parking at Harlem stations is year or more at twice price of parking at Danbury Branch ?

There is currently no wait for a pass for parking in the Village of Brewster. In fact a family member walked into village hall and got two passes last week for the tri-state lot (off Railroad Ave /Marvin Ave) I don't know what the prices are for MTA lot parking in Danbury but Brewster village was just over $100, for permit. Southeast parking is currently full however, on any given weekday there is still a few spots in the MTA lot, (Southeast has lot on right when you come down Independent Way and MTA lot is on the left. And while there is nothing more than I'd like than to see a train back on the Maybrook I think between no straight in approach into Southeast station, dealing with HRRC east of the state line, and the amount of $$$$ to do the rehab, I don't see this taking off... I do see eventually MTA and the t/o Southeast working out a plan to take over the Southeast parking lot for a larger train yard (more trains equals more service) and putting in a parking structure on the other side of the train tracks... Also, the village of Brewster has plans that have been in the works for years now and according to numerous people I have spoken to they are looking to start work by end of year. Part of that plan for rehabbing the Main Street calls for a parking structure to go in behind Bob's Diner. So, in theory there should be plenty of parking available in the future and still a shorter commute by either driving or taking a bus to Southeast or Brewster from Danbury.
Also, not to add more too this but I did watch a East Fishkill town board meeting about a month or so and they did bring up (during a meeting on changing the towns current zoning) about a future commuter station in Hopewell that would connect into Beacon and the Hudson Line.
AMK0123

Postby DutchRailnut » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:37 pm

right soon after santa clause s coming.

DutchRailnut

Previous

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail