Abandoned High Speed Rail Worldwide.

Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

Abandoned High Speed Rail Worldwide.

Postby Semaphore Sam » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:44 am

LA-San Francisco hi-speed rail line aborted due to massive cost over-runs & years-long delays.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019 ... -too-long/
Semaphore Sam

Re: Brown's Folly

Postby george matthews » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Clearly the new governor has a different view of the future. Even in America something has to be done about the emissions of CO2 into the atmosphere - the only cause of a very dangerous climate change. An electrified high speed railway is one of the measures needed to halt and reverse that change. California previously was one of the few parts of the United States with a plan to reduce carbon emissions. The loss of that plan will perhaps be the main bad news from the change of governor.
george matthews

Re: Brown's Folly

Postby David Benton » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:39 am

Its more of a scaling back , than aborting. At least part of it will be completed,and at least conventional trains at 125 mph will use it. MOD NOTE,As this is the worldwide forum, and we don't normally discuss North American railroads,we should move discussion to abandoned HSR worldwide. I will retitle accordingly.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Re: Abandoned High Speed Rail Worldwide.

Postby george matthews » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:56 am

Are there any other examples of abandoned High Speed Rail?

In Europe quite the reverse: high speed lines increase steadily. However, the proposed line from London to Birmingham is being criticised as being too expensive and may possibly be abandoned before building has got under way. The arguments are that there are many smaller projects which could use the money more effectively. Of course there is a question of whether the money would actually be spent on these other projects - such as a high speed route from Liverpool to the east coast. It doesn't help that the minister in charge is widely regarded as incompetent. But we must remember that an important reason for wanting this line is that the existing line is fully taken up and cannot absorb more traffic on a very busy route.

BTW I note the original story is linked to the extreme rightwing publication "Breitbart" so might just be unreliable news.
george matthews

Return to Worldwide Railfan