Lamont Plan: 30/30/30 for travel times

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Re: Lamont Plan: 30/30/30 for travel times

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:28 pm

I'm not sure if the Barnum Station is even needed. I think the site is close enough to the existing Bridgeport Station.

From doing my research about studying the routing of the Waterbury Branch on a map in relation to having train service to New Haven, it might not be a bad idea. In fact, building a permanent station at Devon down the road might not be a super bad idea either. First, CDOT should probably focus on fixing the existing Main Line's infrastructure and get going with those sidings on the Waterbury Branch. The State needs to seriously think about having three tiered express service trains, even during off peak hours because the more stations that are added, the more the travel time will slow down.

Many people who live along the Waterbury Branch would use it if the service was more frequent but as a result, they drive to the New Haven Line and I don't blame them. If I was living along a branchline that had trains running every four hours, I would be annoyed and would probably drive extra to get better service.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby Backshophoss » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 pm

The other "waste moves" on the Waterbury "mini" sets are the deadhead/layup moves to East Bridgeport yard and back to Bridgeport station.
A rebuilt Devon Transfer station makes more sense, needs 000 parking spaces as a walkup station in the neighborhood.
Backshophoss

Postby Jeff Smith » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:03 am

Okay, we all agree buses are stupid :wink: .

I had a thread on here some time ago about changing the NH to a three zone setup, starting at either SoNo or Bridgeport. That would speed things up with precision transfers at Bridgeport, SoNo, and Stamford. But you’re never getting 30/30/30.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail