Accessing the Mattapan from the south via Amtrak

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Accessing the Mattapan from the south via Amtrak

Postby train2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:27 pm

Question for the group about accessing the Mattapan from the south via Amtrak: if I were to ride Amtack or MBTA from the south into the Boston area is their any better way to get to the trolley than to ride into South Station and take the red line or ML on the map outbound? Second Question: I was thinking of riding Amtrak, but I suspect it will be to expensive so I might drive either to Providence or somewhere in the MBTA system and take the train. If coming up 95 what are the bet options for any line/light rail that will get me to the Trolley? And 3rd: if I choose to drive all the way what is the best parking along the trolley line? Costs if any?

Final question for now: I know the Trolley is not long just a few miles. If I were to ride the train is enough of it walk-able to shoot some lineside photos after riding the trolley? Is this area reasonably safe for a middle aged while male if I am traveling solo?

Thx.
train2

Re: Accessing the Mattapan from the south via Amtrak

Postby MBTA3247 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Red Line would be best. Several of the commuter rail stations from Hyde Park inbound have direct bus connections to either Mattapan, Ashmont, or both, but transfer times may make the trip longer.

There are only two MBTA parking lots along the line, at Milton (a small one) and Mattapan. Both are likely to be full on a weekday, and both are pay lots.

Most of the line is paralleled by the Neponset River Trail, so there's plenty of places to get photos. The stations that aren't along the trail can be accessed by walking through some residential neighborhoods, and of course there's the Cedar Grove Cemetery. The area is quite safe during the day.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Mattapan isn't the safest section of Boston but you could get some good shots at the station. The better locations for photos and safety are probably in between Mattapan and Ashmont. Definately try to ride and railfan the Mattapan-Ashmont High Speed Line as soon as possible. The fate of it is uncertain. Once those PCCs are retired, it's possible that the T might want to convert the trolley operation into a bus route.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby train2 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:48 am

Forgot to ask what is the fare collection method on MBTA? Do you have to buy a pass good for all the lines, buy individual fares for each segments? I always as since DC's metro came out with some card you had to BUY then load it with money to use.

Might be nice to ride station to station and get off for a few photos and then get on a latter trolley and advance up the line.
train2

Postby RenegadeMonster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:55 am

With the MBTA, every time you get off you will need to pay again to get back on with a pre paid card or single ride ticket with the exception of subway connections which has free transfer.

However, you can buy a unlimited Day Pass or Unlimited Week Pass from the kiosks. Those will be your best option. Especially if you plan on getting off and back on often. This will give you unlimited bus and subway around Boston.
RenegadeMonster

Postby ExCon90 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Another good reason to go right in to Back Bay or South Station.
ExCon90

Postby Patrick Boylan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:59 pm

I know you asked is there a BETTER way, and many of us would not consider a bus to be better, but the 31 bus runs from Forest Hills to Mattapan. I rode it once in 2000 just to see the route, had no problems then getting the trolley to Ashmont and red line downtown.
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Postby jonnhrr » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:47 pm

Problem with the above suggestion is that if you are coming from Providence those trains don't stop at Forest Hills. You would have to go into town and take either the Needham Line or the Orange Line which then ends up taking longer that the Red Line.
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby Patrick Boylan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Sorry, being out of town myself I assumed Forest Hills was a major station at which all commuter rail trains would stop.
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)