Change from PRR position light signals in Babylon, when?

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Change from PRR position light signals in Babylon, when?

Postby nyandw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:50 pm

A nice photo posted by the LIRR-MTA.As the PRR position lights are still in place, we have an indication of when the photo was taken. Patchogue had them replaced in 2006, for example.Signals S357-358 are in the far distant center of the photo. (Info: Emery map MP35+36 7/1958) When were the PRR signals replaced? I've asked about the photo date so we shall see. Thank you.
Attachments
Babylon-Sunset-MTA.jpg
nyandw

Re: Change from PRR position light signals in Babylon, when?

Postby fender52 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:43 am

I think the position lights west of the station are still there. They haven't been replaced yet.
fender52

Postby MattAmity90 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:29 pm

fender52 wrote:I think the position lights west of the station are still there. They haven't been replaced yet.

None of the signals (including the pedestals) or signal gantries have been touched, and I have photos from 2007 and 2008. When I go out to the Island, Babylon is a place I frequent although I didn't go to Babylon last month. The only changes I've seen there are the seasonal pruning and trimming of the foliage adjacent to the tracks, cutting the trees off the wires, cleanup, and they replaced the bottom four wire insulators (which has been done on almost every pole along the Babylon Branch) on most of the poles.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby fender52 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:03 pm

I was going by this afternoon and stopped. This is the 1st bridge west of the station looking east. Not a great shot, sorry about that.
Babylon.jpg
fender52

Postby nyandw » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:24 pm

fender52 wrote:I was going by this afternoon and stopped. This is the 1st bridge west of the station looking east. Not a great shot, sorry about that.
Babylon.jpg
Thanks.

So, the MTA Sunset photo may be very recent. Anyone know the signal bridge number?
nyandw

Postby Sigz » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:03 am

The “sunset photo” is Babylon Interlocking, 3 bridge. In the photo your looking at the back of 22 and 24 signal. The photo also shows the 21 switch crossover in the background; in the foreground you can see the switch points of 23 switch. The signal in the foreground is most likely 30 signal.

Additionally, the photo fender52 took is of the same bridge. Just from the other side.

A signal name like S357 and S358 would suggest them being automatic signals, which typically, you wouldn’t find in an interlocking.
Sigz

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:20 am

If and when the 3rd rail is done on the Central Branch,Babylon will most likely wind up as Color light signals.
LIRR is replacing all the remaining P/L's with Color lights as needed and $$$ allows,along with removal of any remaining wayside Automatic signals.
Like MN it's cab sgnal/ASC/ACSES between interlockings. :(
Backshophoss

Postby Head-end View » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:59 pm

But will LIRR be using full-aspect G-heads (or similar) signals or its new half-baked Reduced-Aspect Signals like on the Main-Line to Ronkonkoma?
Head-end View

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)