Statewide Rail for California

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

Statewide Rail for California

Postby tomj » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:01 pm

This was an idea that I have had kicking around, which is what would a "useful" rail network be in California. California already has a "good" set of Amtrak lines, but I have thought up what could be a better map. Then I put it off cause I didn't have the time or photoshop skills to do it. Then I figured out I could do it using google maps and here it is. As for what the service would be, I only imagine upgrades of the current service. Maybe some areas electrified to have trains going 125 mph, but I didn't get into that. I'm just posting this to see what others think. Its mostly just changes to the existing Amtrak routes. [
Attachments
calrail.png
tomj

Re: Statewide Rail for California

Postby lensovet » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:35 pm

This all looks good but i would say the reasons it hasn't happened yet all fall into…

–geographic constraints
–capacity constraints (sometimes in combination with the previous)
-nonexistent populations (e.g. northern part of the state)
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Postby tomj » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Not to mention monetary. I would say it is largely that. There are plenty of lines that could be upgraded to deal with the capacity issues along the corridors outlined. (Short of building a crossing between Richmond and San Rafael and whenever the standard rail transbay tube gets built.) Given how the spread out people are in California, there are some areas where a train is more convenient than driving is thanks to traffic. Having a more useful rail system would get people out of their cars. I know I would for one. Also all of the lines follow existing rail lines except the two I mentioned before. Not to mention upgrading railways is generally far cheaper than getting our highways from really deficient to deficient.

Also this link shows railways all around the world. I based the rail map above on the lines show here.
https://www.openrailwaymap.org/
tomj

Postby bdawe » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:38 am

tomj wrote:Not to mention monetary. I would say it is largely that. There are plenty of lines that could be upgraded to deal with the capacity issues along the corridors outlined. (Short of building a crossing between Richmond and San Rafael and whenever the standard rail transbay tube gets built.) Given how the spread out people are in California, there are some areas where a train is more convenient than driving is thanks to traffic. Having a more useful rail system would get people out of their cars. I know I would for one. Also all of the lines follow existing rail lines except the two I mentioned before. Not to mention upgrading railways is generally far cheaper than getting our highways from really deficient to deficient.

Also this link shows railways all around the world. I based the rail map above on the lines show here.
https://www.openrailwaymap.org/

People aren't really all that spread out though in California. It is the most urbanized state in the Union with the densest urban areas.
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Postby mtuandrew » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm not clear on how trains would reach the North Coast, short of $X billions in new build and a massive repair of the Northwestern Pacific. Definitely would be all for San Francisco - Monterey corridor service, SFO-LAX daylight coast service, a second daily OAK-Shasta and OAK-Reno, and LAX-Yuma service. Also, the more you can link north and south California, the better you'll do with reducing the tension between your halves.
mtuandrew

Return to California Commuter & Transit