End of the Full Dome (Ocean View)

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: End of the Full Dome (Ocean View)

Postby east point » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:48 pm

It probably would be too expensive and maybe not structurally able but if Superliner equipment becomes an orphan ---------- Siemens build dome cars based on the Brightline design ?
east point

Postby John_Perkowski » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Leo_Ames wrote:If Via Rail can keep rolling with mid 1950's rolling stock that safely crosses the continent in comfort and style, I find it difficult to believe that this car's mainline days just have to end now.

VIA, as with Union Pacific, BNSF, and even Metra, has a FLEET of cars built before 1971.

Amtrak is down to a few cars, many being used as extra wheels for various PTC mandates on the freight railroads. They are mechanical anomalies at best v
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Postby mtuandrew » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:33 pm

east point: Siemens could happen if there’s a large (LARGE) order, but more likely Stadler would sign up to build a new single-level dome. They brag on their website about how they take pride in building small orders of custom cars in their new Utah plant.

Who would use it though? Amtrak wouldn’t, unless it’s a Sightseer-style car without a dome. If they go all single-level, they would want everything to clear PSNY. VIA would have to consider really strongly whether they could afford domes too, before they did a full fleet refresh.
mtuandrew

Postby Leo_Ames » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:22 pm

John_Perkowski wrote:
Leo_Ames wrote:If Via Rail can keep rolling with mid 1950's rolling stock that safely crosses the continent in comfort and style, I find it difficult to believe that this car's mainline days just have to end now.

VIA, as with Union Pacific, BNSF, and even Metra, has a FLEET of cars built before 1971.

Amtrak is down to a few cars, many being used as extra wheels for various PTC mandates on the freight railroads. They are mechanical anomalies at best v

The point was to counter the claim that she's too wore out to be able to continue service, so it's really for the best in this particular instance that she has fallen victim to the current bean counter in the head office that is curtailing everything he can on long distance trains. Talking about if supporting one unique car is justifiable or not is a very different argument, and one I'll leave to others.

That said, I think several of you aren't giving Beech Grove much credit here with this car in occasional service.
Leo_Ames

Postby mtuandrew » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:25 pm

Beech Grove is a great shop with huge institutional knowledge. It could keep Ocean View and the Pacific Parlours in service indefinitely*, given the financial resources. Bear could do pretty well too, though they aren’t quite as well-equipped. That said, even if the technology hasn’t changed a ton, we’re still talking about 707s in the age of 787s. I don’t want Amtrak to give up these shops for anything, but their Heritage fleet days (and Metroliner days too) are coming to a close one way or another.

*fatigue cracks may take their toll, but Beech could probably do a frame replacement if it came down to it.
mtuandrew

Postby Alcochaser » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:24 pm

You know, there is another prototype viewliner sitting doing nothing that would make one kicking lounge car.

Someone needs to get 2300 drug out of bear and rebuilt as a lounge.

Sad to say that the Grove is a double edge sword. They have the ability to keep these cars going, but there is an extreme anti heritage bias in the management office there.
Last edited by Alcochaser on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alcochaser

Postby Matt Johnson » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Alcochaser wrote:Someone needs to get 2300 drug out of bear and rebuilt as a lounge.

Were I in charge of Amtrak, I'd put that right up there with reinstating the Pacific Parlours on my priority list. But with the current regime, fat chance!
Matt Johnson

Postby mtuandrew » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:47 pm

I’d rather just order 50 new V-Sightseers along with 400 V-coaches for LD service :-D
mtuandrew

Postby Greg Moore » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:50 pm

My first step would be to get more money!

Then I could do many of these ideas. ;-)

I might do that by rolling out Ocean View and inviting a number of members from the House of Reps and Senate for a ride during the fall foliage of an appropriate place.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby gprimr1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 pm

They may have the ability to fix the equipment, but is it the most efficient use of time?

I am in the camp that I'd like to see Amtrak acquire a more modern dome car, something that it doesn't have to spend a disproportionate amount of resources fixing.
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Beech Grove does Contract work on private cars,might not like dealing with some of the car owners.
Backshophoss

Postby mtuandrew » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:54 pm

gprimr1 wrote:I am in the camp that I'd like to see Amtrak acquire a more modern dome car, something that it doesn't have to spend a disproportionate amount of resources fixing.

Are you talking a Plate F/Superliner-height dome usable everywhere off the NEC, or an NEC-capable shallow dome or Sightseer? Also, do you mean something a *little* newer but still Heritage, something a *lot* newer like a kitbashed Amfleet or glassed-in Gallery car, or something *brand new* from Stadler or another car company?
mtuandrew

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:35 am

The VIA "Panorama" car design could be updated to fit NY Penn for use on the silver service trains.
The cars are based on the original car designed for ACL back in the '40's
As for that bi level OBS built for the Rocky Mountaineer would need to redesigned to work with the Superliners to fit their Plate F specs.
and the pass thru on the upper level.
Backshophoss

Postby east point » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:37 am

Just realized that both Siemens and CAF cars just meet clearances on the NEC . No way to make a dome out of those designs.
east point

Postby Rockingham Racer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:34 am

east point wrote:Just realized that both Siemens and CAF cars just meet clearances on the NEC . No way to make a dome out of those designs.

Who made the Panorama cars for VIA? They're added and dropped regularly at Edmonton, and they run up to Prince Rupert in the summer, as well. Single level "domes" seem to be quite possible.
Rockingham Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak