Lollapaloza

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

Lollapaloza

Postby wilmette2008 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:33 pm

So this past weekend was Lollapaloza, and I would like to know if anyone riders or employees got to experence the Lolla crowd? Adding to this on Sunday a kid was playing on the train tracks in front of the Wilmette Depot. They tried to deny him boarding but he managed to slip on, so the train called UP commuter control to have a special agent meet the train upon arrival downtown. Any one experience something similar?
wilmette2008

Re: Lollapaloza

Postby Milwaukee_F40C » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:06 pm

I once saw a Metra conductor try to reprimand a person who crawled under the train I was on to get to the boarding side, saying he was going to get turned in to Amtrak police downtown. But he just ran off the train at the next stop. This was over twenty years ago.
Milwaukee_F40C

Postby Tadman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:39 pm

Yes, I certainly had some laughs on the Thursday of Lolla on the South Shore. I was inbound around 2pm from Shops to downtown. The train was packed with revelers. The first thing I thought was "holy toledo, you're not anywhere near their age...". I'm 36, it didn't seem like that long ago my friends were the festival-goers.

Once I get on, a 22-ish man sits down next to me in festive garb, while I'm dressed in business attire. The young man asks me (I think he was a bit drunk or high)

young man: "sir, are you going to a business meeting?".

I reply "why no, I'm going to Lolla and getting totally wasted up this afternoon".

Young man: "oh, because you could confuse me, you look like a businessman"

Me: "Yeah, you got me, I'm going to a meeting then having dinner with my girlfriend"

Him: "and then you're going to get wasted, right?"

Me: "uh, sure? maybe not"...

It was quite funny, and the crowd was reasonably well behaved. I can't complain.
Tadman

Postby wilmette2008 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:56 am

My question is how common is it for Meta/UP/BNSF conductors to have to turn a passenger into the RR Police upon arrival downtown?
wilmette2008

Postby qboy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:02 am

It can happen at times. It really depends on the situation if your out in the suburbs and still have many stops to make it would make more since to have the local police deal with it right there in that town. At other times if the train is express and the next stop is downtown it can be easier to just call ahead and the the police waiting upon arrival.
qboy

Return to Chicagoland Commuter & Transit