Boston, MA - Cynthiana, KY

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Boston, MA - Cynthiana, KY

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Mr. High Green, I think I owe you something that could be called an apology. From the plan you had set forth involving "0-dark-30" arrivals, which could easily become "O-dark-whenevers", I made the assumption you were a twentysomething youngster who was not yet eligible to rent a car.

But after reviewing the comprehensive profile you have chosen to post, I realize I am quite mistaken with that assumption.

Please accept my sincere apology; but I still think alighting any train at those hours other than to get into a taxicab destined to a nearby hotel is some kind of "Assault Course".
Gilbert B Norman

Postby andrewjw » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:11 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Finslly, so far as my aversion to Southwest, I realize that their penalty free ticket exchange policy is a worthwhile draw for many, but I don't fly enough (one RT so far this year, one more next month - and if I don't show for that one, I'm out much, MUCH, more than any ticket exchange fee) to be too worried about that. But the "chutes and prods" boarding is "just too much", and even though United's ORD Terminal 1 is no paradise, I at least know my way around it - can't say the same about any part of MDW.

I maintain my dispute of this claim that their boarding is "chutes and prods" - any more than United's, or American's, or Delta's. Boarded all three of them and JetBlue in the past 9 months - you sure you're more informed? Some gate agent woke up on the wrong side of the bed 10 years ago, and you've held the grudge since. Could you please leave your personal airline preferences out of our railway discussions?
andrewjw

Postby R&DB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:48 am

andrewjw » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:11 am

...please leave ...airline preferences out of our railway discussions?

Agreed!
I thought Mr Highgreen's original post made it clear (although not stated) that he was looking forward to a Cardinal excursion, not just 'get me there'. This board is after all railroad.net, not airline.net. If Mr HG wanted to fly he would not have posted here.
As far as the middle of the night arrival, Mr HG's family can easily know when #51 will arrive through Amtrak or Transitdocs and be on the platform awaiting that arrival. (Unfortunately Amtrak's published 11:52 pm arrival time at Maysville can only be taken as a rough guideline.)
Harry
R&DB

Postby highgreen215 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks, guys, for all your thoughts and advice. You introduced a number of points that I had not considered, like the desireability, or lack of, of debarking in the wee hours at non-staffed stations while my ride to Cythiana may still be miles away. I'll take it from there, but it looks like the Cardinal will be my choice. Thanx again.
highgreen215

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:11 pm

Mr. Highgreen, break out a Time Machine, set it back fifty yesrs, and you could take the L&N Flamingo straight from Cincinnati to Cynthiana:

https://www.american-rails.com/flamingo.html
Gilbert B Norman

Postby R&DB » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:18 am

Gilbert B Norman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:11 pm

Mr. Highgreen, break out a Time Machine, set it back fifty yesrs, and you could take the L&N Flamingo straight from Cincinnati to Cynthiana:

https://www.american-rails.com/flamingo.html

The schedules for the Cardinal and Flamingo don't allow for a nice clean connection, but then tou do have a Time Machine to help with that. :-)
Harry
R&DB

Postby highgreen215 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanx Mr. Norman for the Flamingo link - guess I'm a few years too late for that convenient service. And my final leg driver was only 8 years old and in still in New Haven territory when the Flamingo vanished. Does any freight pass through Cynthiana these days? Maybe I could ride the rods.
highgreen215

Postby R&DB » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Mr Highgreen asked:
Does any freight pass through Cynthiana these days?

CSX's CC Subdivsion runs through there from Cincy southward to at least Paris and is considered a 'Main Line' by OpenRailwayMap. I'm not familiar with their operations but some of the regulars on the CSX section of this forum might know.
As for 'riding the rods', not many of those left.
Harry
R&DB

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:44 am

Mr. Highgreen, let's see what this flushes out for you:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=168196&p=1482575#p1482575
Gilbert B Norman

Postby highgreen215 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 am

Another damn fool ?
highgreen215

Previous