BNSF: From "The Tiffany" to "Problematic"

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

BNSF: From "The Tiffany" to "Problematic"

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:18 am

When I first moved here during 1979, the Real Estate Broker made it her business to tell me that "Burlington is the best", and that my house is .06 mile from the station "sealed the deal".

But now, this CBS Local News reports that "The Tiffany" from my day (my commuting days were over at end of '81) has now become a "problematic" operation.

Of course, the audience is "quite captive" - who of sound mind working in The Loop is about to pay $32 a day for parking, in addition to "all the rest"?

I know when I ride for "whatever" - "poor man's way to O'Hare", the Symphony, meet up with friends - CUS is simply vile, and the BNSF trains are getting there themselves. There is no longer an Agent here, so that now means having to pay on the train inbound, then standing in line at the CUS windows for your return ticket (also must remember to have cash as well as my Senior ID).
Gilbert B Norman

Re: BNSF: From "The Tiffany" to "Problematic"

Postby MetraBNSF » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:16 pm

I can’t remember where I read it and it was a bunch of years ago. With the recent schedule change in spite of PTC, it’s starting to make sense. Ridership has actually declined east of Downers Grove while its increased at an explosive rate west of there. A closer analysis of the revised schedule added additional express trains during both rush hours in the DG-Aurora corridor. It certainly comes at the expense of the trains that run from CUS-Fairview. The line is certainly over saturated. Parking lots from DG and points west are generally filled by 7am. Long trains are packed.

Fortunately I recently haven’t had to ride in a car in which the AC is broken. CBS reports the BNSF coach fleet has 211 cars. Assuming that number also contains the control cars. The newer cars that operate on the line are small numbers of 6000s, 7400s, 8400 and 8500 series. My estimate is that’s only about 50-60 newer cars. Some of the Budd 700 series cars have been retired while most have been rebuilt. A handful of former Budd control cars have been decommissioned and operate as regular coach cars.

The only answer is funding. From the state and federal governments. I don’t get into politics but certainly much needs to be invested in transit. Rebuilding and rehabbing can only go so far.
MetraBNSF

Postby Tadman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:12 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote: CUS is simply vile,

Wait until they take the barriers down. I've had the behind-scenes tour, the new glass dome is stunning and they've done a very nice job with the ceiling as well. The building was deeply flawed as built and the money was spent to do things right in rebuilding it. What does bother me is the day-to-day boarding operations have regressed back to old standards, and the equipment is still old leading to delays out of the originating terminal.
Tadman

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:38 pm

Mr. Dunville, lest we forget Iv'e had that "behind the scenes" tour you note - eleven years of it.

If the hotel is to be within the existing eight floors - the MILW's General offices, I'd almost want to come in and pay $350 just to spend a night in what was Room 726 - AKA known as my "workplace".

But I'd like to think "great things" are ahead for CUS, but at the moment for a paying passenger, the place is simply a vile dump.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby MetraBNSF » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:17 pm

MetraBNSF

Return to Chicagoland Commuter & Transit