Newark Penn Staion

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Newark Penn Staion

Postby Regardie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 am

So here is something that has been puzzling me for a while, Amtrak gave Newark Penn Station to NJ Transit years ago, so the upkeep of the station is NJT's responsibility. Who is responsible for the track infrastructure, NJT or Amtrak? This spring they had tracks 4 and 5 closed a few weekends doing what looked like emergency repairs to sections of the track in the station, replacing and shimming plates where the ties were really worn down. That work happened the same time Amtrak was replacing large sections of track 4 and the turnout to Conrail west of the station, was all that work done by Amtrak?
Regardie

Re: Newark Penn Staion

Postby EuroStar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:51 pm

While I am not sure which agency the crew that did the work belongs to, I believe that the tracks are Amtrak's as is the catenary. Someone with more knowledge of the Newark Penn Station deal might be able top fill in more of the details, but I suspect that even for the station Amtrak retained ownership, but assigned maintenance and whatever else related to the passenger platforms and concourses to NJT.
EuroStar

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:56 pm

NWK is NJT operated and maintained (with possible exception of trackage). It was transferred to NJT in 1984 after being sold to private investors, with NJT being the controlling day-to-day entity. NJTPD has jurisdiction.

Trenton Transit Center is also 100% NJT (except trackage).
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby OportRailfan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 am

Regardie wrote:So here is something that has been puzzling me for a while, Amtrak gave Newark Penn Station to NJ Transit years ago, so the upkeep of the station is NJT's responsibility. Who is responsible for the track infrastructure, NJT or Amtrak? This spring they had tracks 4 and 5 closed a few weekends doing what looked like emergency repairs to sections of the track in the station, replacing and shimming plates where the ties were really worn down. That work happened the same time Amtrak was replacing large sections of track 4 and the turnout to Conrail west of the station, was all that work done by Amtrak?

All that work done on the rails, roadbed, signal, electric traction, bridges, trestles, etc. are the responsibilities of Amtrak employees within each craft. So to answer your question, Amtrak Track dept maintains the tracks, C&S the signals, phones, and communications, ET - the catenary and traction power, B&B - buildings, bridges, and overhead trestles east and west of the station, etc.

And those were block ties getting replaced on tracks 4 and 5 in the station.
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
OportRailfan

Postby ThirdRail7 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:27 am

Regardie wrote: That work happened the same time Amtrak was replacing large sections of track 4 and the turnout to Conrail west of the station, was all that work done by Amtrak?

The turnout at NK and the Aldene connection work that caused bustitutions was a Conrail project.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby twropr » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:26 pm

What is the status of the project to extend the platform length on TK 5? I believe this project started even before the slowly progressing third track in DE?
Andy
twropr

Postby ThirdRail7 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:48 am

If you're talking about the proposed extension that would have allowed passengers to exit on the west of the station and access the old CNJ bridge to reach the Prudential Center, I believe that project was squashed a long time ago.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby ryanov » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:17 am

The bridge/park portion is back. What they'll do to connect it to Newark Penn, if anything, I'm not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulberry_Commons
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT