Montreal Hotels

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

Montreal Hotels

Postby BAR » Sat May 26, 2018 12:55 pm

Any suggestions as to hotels near Central Station in Montreal? Interested in moderately priced accommodations for one night after arrival on The Adirondack with return following morning. Thanks very much for any suggestions. (I have also posted on this forum at "Must see & Ride in Montreal but post did not move to the top of the forum as usual so reposting)

BAR
Williamsburg, VA.
BAR

Re: Montreal Hotels

Postby NS VIA FAN » Sun May 27, 2018 4:51 am

Although not moderately priced….The Queen Elizabeth is located directly above Central Station and the elevator drops right to the Concourse Level. This is a former CN Hotel….now a Fairmont.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
NS VIA FAN

Postby NS VIA FAN » Sun May 27, 2018 4:54 am

Also above Central Station covering the tracks approaching from the south is the Hotel Bonaventure….and just a block away is the Marriott Chateau Champlain….a former CP Hotel.
NS VIA FAN

Postby NS VIA FAN » Sun May 27, 2018 4:58 am

IMO the best place to watch trains is at VIA’s Dorval Station located on CN’s busy Montreal-Toronto mainline about 10 mile west of Montreal and easily reached by commuter train and transit. VIA’s trains to Ottawa also use this route. CP’s mainline is adjacent with RTM (now EXO) commuter trains to the west island. The adjacent Marriott Fairfield Inn is moderately priced and offers an excellent view. Request a room high at the rear:
Attachments
6.JPG
5.JPG
4.JPG
NS VIA FAN

Postby Ken V » Wed May 30, 2018 11:00 pm

You might want to give a hotel search engine like Hotels.com, Trip Advisor or Trivago a try.
For example: https://www.trivago.ca/?aDateRange%5Bar ... map=false&
Ken V

Postby gaspeamtrak » Thu May 31, 2018 12:11 am

NS VIA FAN wrote:Also above Central Station covering the tracks approaching from the south is the Hotel Bonaventure….and just a block away is the Marriott Chateau Champlain….a former CP Hotel.

I second the "Bonaventure Hotel" My wife and I stayed about a month ago for about $340 bucks Canadian for TWO nights taxes included !!! Ask for a room around Room "1211 Had a great view of the approach to Central Station below you !!! I will be staying there again !!! :-) :-D :-) :-D
gaspeamtrak

Postby Bob Roberts » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:44 pm

+ 1 on the Boneventure. It has been reasonably priced when I have needed it and I have found the rooms to be above average quality -- I like it better than the Hyatt which is several blocks away. Watch out for courtyard rooms, they are very quiet, but obviously no good for rail fanning.
Bob Roberts

Postby BAR » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. We have made a reservation for the Hotel Bonaventure.

BAR
BAR

Postby NS VIA FAN » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:16 pm

Here’s the Hotel Bonaventure located on the top 3 floors of Place Bonaventure above the south approach to Gare Centrale. In the first photo below…the rooms (windows at the top) offer a great view of arriving/departing trains on the viaduct and the interior facing rooms overlook the roof top gardens.
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
NS VIA FAN

Return to Canadian Passenger Operations: AMT, Go Transit, VIA, etc.