CSX bridge collapse, Alexandria, VA

Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

CSX bridge collapse, Alexandria, VA

Postby mtuandrew » Sat May 19, 2018 10:42 am

https://alextimes.com/2018/05/derailment/

The partial derailment this morning is blocking both the CSX ex-RF&P and the NS ex-SOU mains, as well as all Amtrak service south of DC including Silvers, the Cardinal, the Crescent, and all Amtrak Virginia service. Metro Blue Line is unaffected.
mtuandrew

Re: CSX bridge collapse, Alexandria, VA

Postby zuckie13 » Sat May 19, 2018 11:17 am

Yeah, unfortunately that is the bridge right after they separate where CSX crosses NS. Three tracks on that crossing, two on one bridge, the third on a single track. The single looks like the one that failed. I'd speculate it could be related to the crazy amount or rain we've had in the DC area over the past week - maybe weakened the supporting embankment. Some more photos https://wtop.com/alexandria/2018/05/freight-train-derails-on-partially-collapsed-railway-in-alexandria-photos/slide/1/
zuckie13

Postby mtuandrew » Sat May 19, 2018 11:19 am

zuckie13 wrote:Yeah, unfortunately that is the bridge right after they separate where CSX crosses NS. Three tracks on that crossing, two on one bridge, the third on a single track. The single looks like the one that failed. I'd speculate it could be related to the crazy amount or rain we've had in the DC area over the past week - maybe weakened the supporting embankment. Some more photos https://wtop.com/alexandria/2018/05/freight-train-derails-on-partially-collapsed-railway-in-alexandria-photos/slide/1/

Thanks for the WTOP link. Hoping to get down there myself and take photos, but I don't know how likely that will be.
mtuandrew

Postby Roscoe P. Coaltrain » Sat May 19, 2018 6:46 pm

The bridge that failed was the one built for track 1 in the recent triple-tracking. They don't do construction projects like they used to. Engineering probably partially at fault (bad design for the skew involved and the embankment available to work with). Considering the near zilch traffic on the NS below, why not S-curve the NS to better favor the bridge embankment? The days of fast SOU freights into Pot Yard are over. I can envision it now, all the rummaging through the desks and computer files of the recently departed down in Jax for the plans so another set of the girders can be ordered.
Roscoe P. Coaltrain

Postby Literalman » Sun May 20, 2018 6:48 pm

I live about a mile from the wreck site. I heard a lot of whistling since last night, and this afternoon I walked down to where I could see the railroad but not the wreck site, and I saw an eastbound CSX freight creeping past, so the line must be open again.
Steve Dunham
Alexandria, Virginia
www.stevedunham.50megs.com
Literalman

Postby twropr » Sun May 20, 2018 7:24 pm

From what I hear TK3 is the only track open between AF and Franconia since M/W equipment is staged on TK 2 for cleanup of the wreck on TK 1.
I imagine there will be some delays of VRE Fredericksburg Line trains due to the congestion. Manassas Line trains will all use the Horn Track from AF to connect with the former Southern since the North Passenger TK is full of derailed freight cars.
Andy
twropr

Postby mmi16 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:30 pm

twropr wrote:From what I hear TK3 is the only track open between AF and Franconia since M/W equipment is staged on TK 2 for cleanup of the wreck on TK 1.
I imagine there will be some delays of VRE Fredericksburg Line trains due to the congestion. Manassas Line trains will all use the Horn Track from AF to connect with the former Southern since the North Passenger TK is full of derailed freight cars.
Andy

Most Manassas line trains already use the Horn on a daily basis, the siding at AF can be used to meet opposing VRE's if necessary.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
mmi16

Postby davinp » Fri May 25, 2018 8:20 am

There are 3 tracks in this area. The track that washed out is Track #1 that was built with the bridge several years ago. It originally ended in Alexandria and was extended to Franconia-Springfield. It is a separate section of the bridge. Track #1 is used mainly by freight trains

Tracks #2 and #3 are on a different section of the bridge that Amtrak & VRE uses

VRE Fredericksburg Trains pass through this bridge everyday, so I see that CSX has not yet rebuilt the track and the derailed cars are still there.

Until CSX rebuilds that track, Track #1 will remain out of service.

I shot video of it today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dalbtl39D8o
davinp

Postby videobruce » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:25 am

The title should of been changed to "Embankment" collapsed.
CSX is nothing but a continuous joke. No matter who this Capitalist Hedge Fund puts in, it will never be a REAL railroad!
videobruce

Postby KTHW » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:03 pm

After looking at some old imagery of the bridge it looks like both bridges existed before the 3rd track was added. And they simply reconfigured the track alignment. I wonder if they’ll end up replacing both bridges.
KTHW

Postby STrRedWolf » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:18 pm

Late on the addition here, but...

Area of crash: http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=38.80 ... 05634&z=18

From the video, it looked like the track was pulled off the bridge and the train just followed a "new" alignment that CSX didn't approve of.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
STrRedWolf

Postby mtuandrew » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Track still OOS, embankment still under reconstruction, as seen from my seat on this Blue Line train. Four or five hi-rail trucks of varying sizes west of the bridge, lots of VULX ballast cars to the east.
mtuandrew

Return to CSX Transportation