Empire Service this summer

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Empire Service this summer

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:01 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:The MARC Sumitomo Cars should be able to do the job well and I believe that when they are running on home turf, they do anywhere between 110 and 125 on express trains.

That's correct. They (the MARC IIA/B's) have been lent out for service along the NEC for some time now. They're good for 125 MPH. If there's any left (I think LIRR, NJT, and SEPTA are renting 'em now), they'll be good for 4 hour trips.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
STrRedWolf

Postby Railjunkie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 am

STrRedWolf wrote:
njt/mnrrbuff wrote:The MARC Sumitomo Cars should be able to do the job well and I believe that when they are running on home turf, they do anywhere between 110 and 125 on express trains.

That's correct. They (the MARC IIA/B's) have been lent out for service along the NEC for some time now. They're good for 125 MPH. If there's any left (I think LIRR, NJT, and SEPTA are renting 'em now), they'll be good for 4 hour trips.

That a negative according to the book they are good for 110mph. I brought three north Sat night on 259.
Railjunkie

Postby BAR » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks for all of the replies to my inquiry about possible dedicated bus service between NYP and GCT (and reverse) this summer. As MACTRAXX observes Amtrak did provide this service back in the 1990's prior to consolidation of operations at NYP and I took it many times when connecting from #94 to #49 (and reverse). I also made the connection via subway and cab and I can assure you that the dedicated bus was by far the easiest way to make the transfer.

STrRedWolf thanks for your inquiry about my mental state. I am very pleased to report that I am not nuts (yet). As to driving in Manhattan my daughter (age 48) lives far out in western New Jersey and she does it frequently and does not find it overly stressful.

BAR
BAR

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:12 pm

BAR wrote:STrRedWolf thanks for your inquiry about my mental state. I am very pleased to report that I am not nuts (yet). As to driving in Manhattan my daughter (age 48) lives far out in western New Jersey and she does it frequently and does not find it overly stressful.

I'm glad you took it well. I wasn't sure about making driving in NYC a joke given I walked around it twice now and... needless to say, I wouldn't drive in the city if I could help it.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
STrRedWolf

Postby hs3730 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Does anyone have a list of P32AC-DMs that have received / will receive the MNRR-style nose hatch retrofit? I've currently seen 704 (Phase III) and 712 (Phase V) completed...

Thanks!
hs3730

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri May 11, 2018 5:44 pm

701- 704- 705 - 712 and two more in Rensselaer shop.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby amtrakhogger » Fri May 11, 2018 6:16 pm

That explains why 63 has had a P42 assigned as of late NYP-TOR.
"Four francs is four francs!"
amtrakhogger

Postby BAR » Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Checked with Amtrak today to plan a July trip and the agent read me the notification that "passengers are to arrange their own transportation between NYP and GCT."
BAR

Postby hs3730 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 pm

From the MARC car thread on LIRR board:

DutchRailnut wrote:on another board it was noted that Amtrak will not be needing the MARC cab cars as sufficient P32acdm's will be modified with escape hatch .
they will all be returned within a few weeks

Does this mean that they will not push-pull into GCT and will instead use the loops?
hs3730

Postby Railjunkie » Fri May 18, 2018 1:42 am

From what Ive heard we will use the cab cars on some trains most likely locals till the shop finishes putting in the emergency evac doors. Cab cars should be gone by late June early July. Trains that have dual modes with the evac doors will be looped.
Railjunkie

Postby ryanov » Fri May 18, 2018 1:53 am

Amtrak has now fixed their website, but when I went to book a trip a couple of weeks ago for July on the Lakeshore Limited, there was a very strange train that indicated it ran from NYP to NYG as the transfer option, and I think the number was 2230 and that it left at 8:30a only -- something like that. It now correctly warns you that there's a self transfer.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Sun May 20, 2018 10:20 am

ryanov wrote: there was a very strange train that indicated it ran from NYP to NYG as the transfer option, and I think the number was 2230 and that it left at 8:30a only -- something like that. It now correctly warns you that there's a self transfer.

IRT 7th Ave to TSQ shuttle with fantastic headways - thank you for riding MTA New York City Transit, and have a great day ;)
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Previous

Return to Amtrak