Post EHH Changes for CSX

Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby MattW » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:05 pm

They're planning to sell it.Track removal is currently in-progress. Guestimated sale price is $300-400 Million.
MattW
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 8:00 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA (ATL)

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby consist » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:23 pm

They have to keep the mainline, though, right? The line comes in from Smyrna and connects to Howell Wye. So the new condo owners can watch the trains roll at the back of the property?
consist
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:11 pm

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby MattW » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:58 pm

Yes, mainline stays. There's still speculation if CSX will continue with leasing the W&A line from the State of Georgia. So while I have no doubt that the tracks will remain, whether they remain CSX tracks remains to be seen.
MattW
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 8:00 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA (ATL)

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby Leo_Ames » Tue May 01, 2018 3:19 am

The AC6000CW fleet that was heavily rebuilt to cure their teething troubles, including installing new GEVO-16 engines to replace the original but unreliable 7HDL power plants, is now gone as well. All retired and sold to Progress Rail except for the three prototypes that got FDL's installed (making them equivalent to the AC4400CW fleet), which remain on the roster.

Mass retirements of Dash 8's are still happening regularly as well, with the last survivors appearing likely to not see 2018 out. Even the 10 CW40-8M's that GE recently rebuilt in a pre-Harrison test to renew the Dash 8 fleet are on the hit list, although I imagine they won't be seeing the scrapyard when they're disposed of.

With the phase out of the small C40-9W fleet also underway, I imagine come 2019 the GE fleet will be composed of only AC4400CW, ES44AH, ET44AH, and ES40DC models.
Leo_Ames
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:52 pm

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby mmi16 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:59 pm

Leo_Ames wrote:The AC6000CW fleet that was heavily rebuilt to cure their teething troubles, including installing new GEVO-16 engines to replace the original but unreliable 7HDL power plants, is now gone as well. All retired and sold to Progress Rail except for the three prototypes that got FDL's installed (making them equivalent to the AC4400CW fleet), which remain on the roster.

Mass retirements of Dash 8's are still happening regularly as well, with the last survivors appearing likely to not see 2018 out. Even the 10 CW40-8M's that GE recently rebuilt in a pre-Harrison test to renew the Dash 8 fleet are on the hit list, although I imagine they won't be seeing the scrapyard when they're disposed of.

With the phase out of the small C40-9W fleet also underway, I imagine come 2019 the GE fleet will be composed of only AC4400CW, ES44AH, ET44AH, and ES40DC models.


You actually think they won't have sold all locomotives by 2019? Selling all locomotives increases profits for Mantle Ridge!
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
User avatar
mmi16
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:18 pm
Location: USA

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby scratchy » Wed May 02, 2018 12:34 pm

mmi16 wrote:
Leo_Ames wrote:The AC6000CW fleet that was heavily rebuilt to cure their teething troubles, including installing new GEVO-16 engines to replace the original but unreliable 7HDL power plants, is now gone as well. All retired and sold to Progress Rail except for the three prototypes that got FDL's installed (making them equivalent to the AC4400CW fleet), which remain on the roster.

Mass retirements of Dash 8's are still happening regularly as well, with the last survivors appearing likely to not see 2018 out. Even the 10 CW40-8M's that GE recently rebuilt in a pre-Harrison test to renew the Dash 8 fleet are on the hit list, although I imagine they won't be seeing the scrapyard when they're disposed of.

With the phase out of the small C40-9W fleet also underway, I imagine come 2019 the GE fleet will be composed of only AC4400CW, ES44AH, ET44AH, and ES40DC models.


You actually think they won't have sold all locomotives by 2019? Selling all locomotives increases profits for Mantle Ridge!
Attachments
CSX.jpg
scratchy
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby mmi16 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:38 pm

scratchy wrote:
mmi16 wrote:
Leo_Ames wrote:The AC6000CW fleet that was heavily rebuilt to cure their teething troubles, including installing new GEVO-16 engines to replace the original but unreliable 7HDL power plants, is now gone as well. All retired and sold to Progress Rail except for the three prototypes that got FDL's installed (making them equivalent to the AC4400CW fleet), which remain on the roster.

Mass retirements of Dash 8's are still happening regularly as well, with the last survivors appearing likely to not see 2018 out. Even the 10 CW40-8M's that GE recently rebuilt in a pre-Harrison test to renew the Dash 8 fleet are on the hit list, although I imagine they won't be seeing the scrapyard when they're disposed of.

With the phase out of the small C40-9W fleet also underway, I imagine come 2019 the GE fleet will be composed of only AC4400CW, ES44AH, ET44AH, and ES40DC models.


You actually think they won't have sold all locomotives by 2019? Selling all locomotives increases profits for Mantle Ridge!

download/file.php?id=18007&mode=view

Fire Sale - one derailment at a time!
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
User avatar
mmi16
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:18 pm
Location: USA

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby QB 52.32 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:05 am

First quarter 2018 CSX operating ratio 63.7, down from 73.2 year prior vs. NS 69.3, down from 70 a year ago. Still early post-EHH changes, but certainly bears watching.
QB 52.32
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:05 am

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby mmi16 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:27 pm

QB 52.32 wrote:First quarter 2018 CSX operating ratio 63.7, down from 73.2 year prior vs. NS 69.3, down from 70 a year ago. Still early post-EHH changes, but certainly bears watching.

When you cut muscle away from the operation it is easy to pare down the operating ratio. CSX has always had sharp pencils in the Finance Dept. Now with sharp pencils and creative use of 'generally accepted accounting principles' any number you want is within reach.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
User avatar
mmi16
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:18 pm
Location: USA

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby Wayside » Sun May 06, 2018 9:04 am

It's very well known in the industry these days that employee morale at CSX is at an all-time low, which is not accounted for in the operating ratio, but which does not auger well for the future viability of the corporation.
We don't know what we don't know.
User avatar
Wayside
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:00 am
Location: The First State

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby Engineer Spike » Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 pm

The locomotive retirements may not be forever. Under Hunter, CP mothballed many of the early AC4400s. St.-Luc Shop had them stored all over. Within the last month, they have been returned to service. I have had several with 2+ years or more out of service credit on the blue card. This might partially be due to the increase in the economy. I feel some is attributable to the problems that happened. Every train had the bare minimum power. There were therefore stalls, and other times that a unit failure caused a major crisis. There were no spares available to replace them.

I think that Hunter’s smoke in mirrors will play out, and Foote will be forced to give up on some of the Hunter tactics. As has been said, these cuts were implemented in 6 months. He was at CP for a few years before the big changes happened. He tried to do too much too fast.
Engineer Spike
 
Posts: 1797
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:24 pm

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby Leo_Ames » Wed May 09, 2018 10:50 pm

The recent mass retirements of CSX motive power have been quickly followed by sale, so there's no coming back from it unless CSX repurchases or leases locomotives that it has already disposed of. Progress Rail for instance now owns the former CSX AC6000CW fleet, minus the three prototypes that now have FDL's inside.

Some of the oldest CPR AC4400CW's being reactivated may be to cover assignments while newer sisters are rebuilt by GE. I wonder if they'll be getting their turn in the rebuild queue eventually (I believe the plans are for 100 AC4400CW's to be rebuilt and modernized in Fort Worth this fiscal year).
Leo_Ames
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:52 pm

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby QB 52.32 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:51 pm

2nd quarter 2018 CSX operating ratio 58.6 down from 67.4 same period 2017 vs. NS operating ratio 64.6 2Q2018 down from 66.9 same period 2017. Focus & pressure on NS' management has begun.
QB 52.32
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:05 am

Re: Post EHH Changes for CSX

Postby gokeefe » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:05 pm

We will see how long it lasts ... Give it a year ... Operating ratio may stay low but if earnings per share go down then it's all for naught.
gokeefe
User avatar
gokeefe
 
Posts: 10753
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: Winthrop, Maine

Previous

Return to CSX Transportation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests