The Eastern Railroad - South Berwick to Wells

Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

Re: The Eastern Railroad - South Berwick to Wells

Postby arthur d. » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:30 am

Yuh, B-48 would be just east of the airfield crossing.
Friend of mine owned an old farm near 50. Its a furniture store now. Behind it the B&M had a gravel pit. If you look hard and don't mind swamps, you can find remains of a siding in there.
I' not sure when they did it, but while Hampton still had service, the posts from Portsmouth to Hampton got numbered 0-10.
arthur d.

Postby Manalishi » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:26 am

OK, Arthur, I took up the challenge. Here's the siding. Even though every tick and mosquito in NH got me, I eventually found it.

I bet that rail hasn't seen a train since the 1950s.

C
Attachments
arthue3.jpg
Manalishi

Postby arthur d. » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:50 pm

Well done young man, Dilly Dilly.
I hope you resisted buying an over priced chair while you were there.
Hot tip is to go in there in early spring, before the swamp comes alive. I shot a bunch of images of the siding one April, just as they were pulling up the main. This site won't play nice when I try to upload anything.
The bed for the siding goes east for a ways, almost to the trailer park. There is evidence that the siding was moved, probably to keep the cable shovel within reach of the gravel, that or there were actually two sidings side by side, one for the shovel and one for the gravel cars.
I think you estimate of the 1950's is conservative. I asked an old track man I know who hired on in the 1940's, retiring in the 1990's, about this, and he has no recollection of a siding there.
arthur d.

Previous

Return to Boston & Maine/Maine Central