Sign, sign, everywhere a sign ...

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Sign, sign, everywhere a sign ...

Postby Yellowspoon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:37 am

B train to GOV’T CENTER - Note that "B" and "GOV'T CENTER" both appear
000B.jpg

A rather odd occurrence that I’d never seen before. The train was marked B GOV’T CENTER. First, of course, is that B trains normally terminate at Park Street. The second unusual thing was the train carried both the letter “B” and “GOV’T CENTER” designation. I had never seen a GC train that had also carried a letter designation. The third unusual thing was that when the train pulled into Government Center, the operator opened the doors on the right side of the train to let the passengers exit.

By now, you’ve guessed that this was a southbound train that originated at Lechmere. Why it only went as far as GC is for you to tell me because I have no idea.
Yellowspoon

Postby Type 7 3684 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:29 am

During rush hour they run a single car between Lechmere and GC back and forth. So it’s a regular thing.
Type 7 3684

Postby Arborwayfan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:00 pm

B for Brattle! :-)
Arborwayfan

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:30 pm

I have seen B Kenmore trains before. I think the letter is there to designate that the train is heading outbound. Why it is always a B, I do not know.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby The EGE » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Because they're actually running to Blandford Street to turn at the pocket track there, I would guess.
The EGE

Postby BigUglyCat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 pm

The EGE wrote:Because they're actually running to Blandford Street to turn at the pocket track there, I would guess.

That would have been a B with a red slash through it, for Blandford as you say. I recall seeing E slash destination signs on Huntington Avenue cars. I believe the practice began with the Boeing LRVs.
BigUglyCat

Postby Red Wing » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:54 pm

I haven't seen a slash since the roll signs disappeared.
Red Wing

Postby Yellowspoon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:47 pm

It's a "B" because the trains always leave Kenmore onto Commonwealth Avenue. Think of "B" for Blandford.

As a side note, I once observed a gentleman ignore a Lechmere train at Park Street. When I asked him why he did not get on the train, he said that he was waiting for an "E" train. The good-for-nothing maps show "E" trains going to Lechmere but fail to mention that the eastbound trains do not carry letter designations.

Incidentally, after I alighted the "B - GOV'T CENTER" train, I caught an empty "C" train to continue my journey to Park Street. The C train had looped at GC. Unfortunately, the poor patrons who were waiting at Haymarket and North Station were not aware that they should have taken the "B" train to GC.

To use a quote from The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3, "What the hell did they expect for their lousy 35 cents"
Last edited by CRail on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
Yellowspoon

Postby MBTA3247 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Red Wing wrote:I haven't seen a slash since the roll signs disappeared.

That's because the craptastic LCD displays have neither the resolution nor the contrast to display a slash through a letter.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Yellowspoon wrote:It's a "B" because the trains always leave Kenmore onto Commonwealth Avenue. Think of "B" for Blandford.

Well I know about the pocket track at Blandford. But what I find interesting is that even the Lechmere-Govt Center shuttles are signed as “B Govt Center” trains.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby CRail » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:02 pm

It is not "B for Blandford," it's B for the Comm. Ave. line which westbound Kenmore trains use to turn. This notion that route letters simply abbreviate the destination names needs to be destroyed!

The signs are set up so that westbound cars have letters and eastbound cars do not. If the last train from Heath Street which only serves the surface signs up correctly at Heath St. ("Northeastern"), the sign shows Northeastern without the letter. If a car signs up for Northeastern from Lechmere, it will say "E Northeastern." The system knows the direction because it remembers the last location tag it read. I assume the letter for anywhere in the subway is B because the signs were supposed to work with the AVI setting (they do not) and the AVI for the Brattle loop is 820. 823 is also used as a route designation for BC cut ins (meaning the trip starts mid route, or "cuts in") using Chestnut Hill Ave, therefor it's recognized as a Comm. Ave. AVI setting (as is anything lower than 83X, which is Beacon St.). Again, the AVI and the signs do not communicate with eachother, but the people who programmed each probably did.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)