M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

Postby Head-end View » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:30 pm

Well don't sweat it. We'll be seeing more and more M-9's as time goes on, and in a few years we'll be sorry the M-3's are all gone along with any form of front-window viewing...... :(
Head-end View

Postby Fan Railer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Mixed train passing through Queens Village:
https://youtu.be/7NvpaYeX36Y
Fan Railer

Postby PlaneLoverA380 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:04 am

Thanks Fan Railer, and I saw your RS41 video. I caught the RS41 at Mineola yesterday too! Not gonna leave railfanning early anymore :-D But are the test schedules staying the same? Up to KO at 8, leave KO at 4?
"Railfanning is a hobby. Railfanning M3s is a job. Railfanning rare moves is a way of life."-Railstormers leader aka me
PlaneLoverA380

Postby inthebag » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:03 am

Yesterday was a one off.
inthebag

Postby PlaneLoverA380 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:38 am

inthebag wrote:Yesterday was a one off.

What do you mean? There will be no more mixed consists? Will the test schedules change? Cause 3:30-5:00 is my optimal railfanning time.
"Railfanning is a hobby. Railfanning M3s is a job. Railfanning rare moves is a way of life."-Railstormers leader aka me
PlaneLoverA380

Postby gregorygrice » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:51 pm

PlaneLoverA380 wrote:
inthebag wrote:Yesterday was a one off.

What do you mean? There will be no more mixed consists? Will the test schedules change? Cause 3:30-5:00 is my optimal railfanning time.

There is no "test schedule".
gregorygrice

Postby PlaneLoverA380 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:23 pm

But would they be coming at the same time, is what I mean, or would I have to listen here?
PlaneLoverA380

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:02 pm

There's no such thing as a fixed test schedule,they will see what the results were from this run,then proceed from that point onward.
Road testing will happen again but will not be announced publicly,most likely at night as well.
Just grab shot what you see happening,pray you get word of the next road test in the near future.
Backshophoss

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:17 pm

ConstanceR46 wrote:that's why they'd need an inspection; even without visible damage something might be wrong that would go wrong on the LIRR, making kawasaki look like idiots.

Just to clarify:

The Budd Company built the M1 and M3 cars.
Bombardier built the M7 cars.
Kawasaki has already and will continue to manufacturer the M9 cars.

Also my 700th post!
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby Head-end View » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:19 pm

News Flash: BuddR32 was just telling us in the Metro-North thread (about the non-existent M-5 cars) that some LIRR M-9 cars that are being bought as part of the ESA Project will be designated as M-9A's because they will be a separate procurement with Federal funding. And as a result they might not be the same exact cars as the M-9's.

It seems that the "A" designation became available for LIRR ESA cars because M-N has decided not to buy any M-9's but to rebuild their M-3 fleet instead.
Head-end View

Postby andrewjw » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:22 pm

Head-end View wrote:News Flash: BuddR32 was just telling us in the Metro-North thread (about the non-existent M-5 cars) that some LIRR M-9 cars that are being bought as part of the ESA Project will be designated as M-9A's because they will be a separate procurement with Federal funding. And as a result they might not be the same exact cars as the M-9's.

It seems that the "A" designation became available for LIRR ESA cars because M-N has decided not to buy any M-9's but to rebuild their M-3 fleet instead.

M-9A vs M-9 has been about federal funding vs state funding the whole time. If I'm not mistaken, the design is intended to work interchangably (with only shoe and software changes). Find me a citation of the M-9A which indicates it's an MNRR v. LIRR distinction!
andrewjw

Postby BuddR32 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:58 pm

andrewjw wrote:
Head-end View wrote:News Flash: BuddR32 was just telling us in the Metro-North thread (about the non-existent M-5 cars) that some LIRR M-9 cars that are being bought as part of the ESA Project will be designated as M-9A's because they will be a separate procurement with Federal funding. And as a result they might not be the same exact cars as the M-9's.

M-9A vs M-9 has been about federal funding vs state funding the whole time. If I'm not mistaken, the design is intended to work interchangably (with only shoe and software changes). Find me a citation of the M-9A which indicates it's an MNRR v. LIRR distinction!

No citation will be found for the M9, and you're right about the funding differentiation, but historically, the A designation was applied to the MNR cars of the procurement. M-1A, M-3A, M-7A are ALL MNR cars
BuddR32

Postby andrewjw » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:21 am

BuddR32 wrote:
No citation will be found for the M9, and you're right about the funding differentiation, but historically, the A designation was applied to the MNR cars of the procurement. M-1A, M-3A, M-7A are ALL MNR cars

Emphatically agree! We'll see come M-11 if they return to the 'A' designation for MNR, or continue the pattern of the M-9.
andrewjw

Postby Fan Railer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:34 pm

The 6 M9s at HSF made an appearance at Jamaica last night under their own power.
Fan Railer

Postby adamj023 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Looks like M9’s are finally being tested on the system and deliveries should be coming in this year.

I find commuter rail to be way more interesting outside the USA but the M9 should last a long time once its put into service.

Outside the USA you have a lot of more unique rail cars and even the high speed trains. USA used to be the most innovative and best in the world with rail when we had the privately owned railroads. The M9 will suffice for commuter rail here and be a nice replacement to the M3 and also add capacity and be used eventually at Grand Central Station.
adamj023

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)