Middletown Branch

Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York.
Official web-site: http://www.pwrr.com/

Moderator: MEC407

Re: Middletown Branch

Postby Larry » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:54 am

Went out and looked at the progress of this tie replacement and it looks like about 3 of four ties to each piece of rail. They were in Rocky Hill yesterday and I hear they are off now until next week around Wed. They did not know if any ballast was to come either. If they are going to move freight over line it will be slow and not a lot based on what I see being done at this time. Still though, keeping the line open is awesome and maybe business can pick up.
Larry

Postby bwparker1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:15 pm

FWIW the Town of Wethersfield in an email on the project stated the railroad had no immediate plans to move any freight over the line, although there may be some equipment moves happening.
bwparker1

Postby Plate C » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:58 am

Nice to see this portion getting attention, again. I walked the line from Hartford to RH earlier in the year and it was pretty thickly covered in vegetation, including some thorny trees that had grown through the rails in several places. Still a few switches and sidings intact from days gone by, although I imagine another decade could pass without seeing them get much use. Still, good to see things opening up.
Plate C

Postby bwparker1 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:54 am

How long did that walk take? I’ve aleays wanted to walk it. Just need to make the time.
bwparker1

Postby Larry » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:01 am

I took a look at the Wethersfield line again yesterday, all MOW vehicles tied up in Rocky Hill by ferry. Ties spread to be put in out all the way to rte 15 bridge that crosses line in Wethersfield, Hartford line. I believe they will be back Tomorrow, more likely Thursday to continue work going North.
Larry

Postby Plate C » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:35 am

bwparker1 wrote:How long did that walk take? I’ve aleays wanted to walk it. Just need to make the time.

Don't recall, maybe spent an hour each way? Much of the time was navigating those thorny trees and such, rip stop fabric definitely recommended. There wasn't a ton to see for the efforts, most was closer to the Hartford side.
Plate C

Postby johnpbarlow » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:38 am

Is this rehab motivated by enabling G&W/P&W/CSOR to deliver 286K cars to Hartford via bypassing Amtrak's trestle in downtown Hartford and Conn River bridge at Windsor Locks?
johnpbarlow

Previous

Return to Providence and Worcester Railroad