Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Postby gokeefe » Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 pm

Nationally integrated computerized reservation system and ticketing for rail passenger service (Arrow): Amtrak

Showers in Sleeper cars: Amtrak

High speed with active tilt in North American mixed ops: Amtrak (via Alstom technology)

PTC in North America (ACSES I): Amtrak

Master Partnerships for Terminal Redevelopment: Amtrak

ADA Accessible Rail Passenger Equipment and Facilities: Amtrak

Railfone (cellular technology based pay phones): Amtrak

Sous vide food prep and cooking in rail passenger dining service: Amtrak

Onboard WiFi in passenger rail service: Amtrak (prototyped on the Downeaster)

Combined Electrification and Traffic Control (CETC) dispatching: Amtrak (done in the early years via NECIP funding)

I would further strongly dispute that Amtrak's eticketing lift technology is comparable to the airlines. In flight crews don't use a handheld device while underway, it's a static point at the gate. Furthermore the manifest and passenger count changes at a frequency unheard of in the aviation industry.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Tadman » Thu May 16, 2019 10:12 pm

A lot of those ideas are adaptations of an idea from outside the US or the industry.

I don’t see how Amtrak should get credit for innovating tilt when Talgo came out 15 years before Cascades and the LRC had essentially the same tilt system as Acela 20 years before. The supplying company is called Hydrep and the owner is a friend and business associate on projects outside of the rail industry. We have drained quite a few bottles of wine in more than one country and I’ve heard many stories of LRC and Acela.

And Arrow reservations was very similar to AMR’s Sabre system, about ten years older. Both run on the same IBM equipment at the time.
Tadman

Postby Nasadowsk » Fri May 17, 2019 1:17 pm

gokeefe wrote:Nationally integrated computerized reservation system and ticketing for rail passenger service (Arrow): Amtrak

Yeah, go to Germany and ride the rails there for a week and tell me how 'integrated' Amtrak's ticketing system is...

Ok?

High speed with active tilt in North American mixed ops: Amtrak (via Alstom technology)

Active tilt was used ages ago on Pendolino, APT, etc. And Acela ain't high speed - its curve speeds are barely higher than the Metroliner, and slower than the X2000 when it was tested on the NEC.

And LZB has been around since the 70's and is a superior system anyway.

LIRR is all level boarding. Amtrak isn't.

Penn Central had the fore runner to cellular in the 60's on the Metroliner.

Combined Electrification and Traffic Control (CETC) dispatching: Amtrak (done in the early years via NECIP funding)

And they still can't dispatch the NEC worth a damn. Some progress. Wake me up when Amtrak's operation in the NEC start approaching that of DB, or SNCF (SBB or JR are pretty much not going to happen - management and the employees just don't have the drive. Sorry guys, but that's the truth). +- 15 minutes isn't 'on time', it's a joke.
Nasadowsk

Postby mcgrath618 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:22 pm

Nasadowsk wrote:
gokeefe wrote:Nationally integrated computerized reservation system and ticketing for rail passenger service (Arrow): Amtrak

Yeah, go to Germany and ride the rails there for a week and tell me how 'integrated' Amtrak's ticketing system is...

Ok?

Active tilt was used ages ago on Pendolino, APT, etc. And Acela ain't high speed - its curve speeds are barely higher than the Metroliner, and slower than the X2000 when it was tested on the NEC.

And LZB has been around since the 70's and is a superior system anyway.

LIRR is all level boarding. Amtrak isn't.

Penn Central had the fore runner to cellular in the 60's on the Metroliner.

And they still can't dispatch the NEC worth a damn. Some progress. Wake me up when Amtrak's operation in the NEC start approaching that of DB, or SNCF (SBB or JR are pretty much not going to happen - management and the employees just don't have the drive. Sorry guys, but that's the truth). +- 15 minutes isn't 'on time', it's a joke.

Here in Philly, the majority of SEPTA trains are made late on the PRR side due to poor dispatching from Amtrak (not to mention how poorly they maintain their track).
mcgrath618

Previous

Return to Amtrak