CR on the Southern Secondary

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Postby NY&LB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:01 am

CR7876 wrote:
I had heard that two separate NJ shortlines were inquiring about leasing/purchasing the line(s). I also, separately, heard that a former customer on the line wants to resume rail service (not sand). So perhaps something is in the works.

Interesting considering the line is owned by NJ Transit, I would not think it is "For Sale".
As for "upgrading" the line, while that would be nice, is it really worth the expense for one train a week? Who would pay that bill? Surely not NJT. The current speed (or lack thereof) makes it very nice for chasing the weekly train!
NY&LB

Postby R&DB » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:26 am

NY&LB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:01 am

CR7876 wrote:
I had heard that two separate NJ shortlines were inquiring about leasing/purchasing the line(s). I also, separately, heard that a former customer on the line wants to resume rail service (not sand). So perhaps something is in the works.

Interesting considering the line is owned by NJ Transit, I would not think it is "For Sale".
As for "upgrading" the line, while that would be nice, is it really worth the expense for one train a week? Who would pay that bill? Surely not NJT. The current speed (or lack thereof) makes it very nice for chasing the weekly train!

The ROW is owned by NJDOT. The current operator is Conrail Shared Assets. I highly doubt the state has any intention to sell the ROW although the operational contract may be up for discussion.
As far as upgrading, that would currently be Conrail's responsibility. If Conrail is planning improvements they must have a reason. Reasons could be anything from safety to anticipated increases in traffic. With all the work done on the line from Lakehurst to Woodmansie in the past few years, bridge and crossing work in Lakehurst and above, my bet is impending sand traffic.
Clayton Block and Sand owns the ROW below Lakehurst and have NJ Seashore Line contracted to operate it. Perhaps this what the two NJ shortlines are after?
I guess we have to wait and see.
Harry
R&DB

Postby MaRoFu » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:45 pm

I'm pretty sure NJDOT may need to resort to selling the ROW eventually. South of Woodmansie it has literally turned into forest. Plus the ROW is encroached very heavily (and illegally) around Elm. Theoretically NJDOT should be able to remove any encroachments on the ROW without fear of legal issue as they are the rightful owners of the land. Maybe we'll see the ROW be sold to New Jersey Seashore Lines or something.
Train systems ridden (excl. airport trains): Amtrak, CTA Loop, D.C. Metro, JR (Central, East, West), Keisei, M&Erie, NJ Transit (NLR & HBLR), NYC Subway, Osaka City Subway, PATH, Shizutetsu, TDR Monorail, Tokyo Metro
MaRoFu

Postby R&DB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:36 am

MaRoFu » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:45 pm

NJDOT does own the (old CNJ) Southern Secondary from Woodmansie south (RR west). They acquired it when Conrail decided to abandon it and it is considered rail banked, a trem for ROWs that are no longer operated but may be needed it the future. There are several of these throughout the state. There is no intention to sell these properties unless it is for some partisan political reason. (Short term gain for a politician vs, permanent loss of ROW.) The subject of this thread is CR on the Southern Secondary and Conrail is the designated operator of only the portion from Red Bank to Lakehurst. Conrail is also the operator for the Toms River Industrial Track (TRIT) which connects at Lakehurst. Lakehurst to Woodmansie is owned by Clayton and contracted for operation to NJ Seashore Lines. For areas south of Woodmansie there are other operators such as Southern Railroad of NJ (SRNJ). Any areas or operations south of Lakehurst are better discussed in the South Jersey threads.
Harry
R&DB

Postby CTL10D » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:12 am

“Any areas or operations south of Lakehurst are better discussed in the South Jersey threads”

I’m sorry, God forbid we discuss the line and post something other than “4429 + 12 through Eatontown at 4:07pm” in this thread . . .
CTL10D

Postby GSC » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:08 am

As long as "out of control" construction in and around Lakewood continues, the big trains will run. Sooner or later, the boom will bust. Then we'll be back to those little trains of a few years ago. Enjoy it while it lasts. Not that long ago, I remember two locos pulling one car through Farmingdale and terminating in Lakehurst.

As far as the video from July 5th, great stuff! Bring an umbrella next time LOL
Tonight's forecast - dark. Followed by scattered light in the morning.
GSC

Postby R&DB » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:05 pm

CTL10D » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:12 pm

“Any areas or operations south of Lakehurst are better discussed in the South Jersey threads”

I’m sorry, God forbid we discuss the line and post something other than “4429 + 12 through Eatontown at 4:07pm” in this thread . . .

Sorry to all who may feel I was denigrating anyone's post. Just observing that as CR (Shared Assests) does not operate below Lakehurst and discussion of anything below there may be the old CNJ, but belongs in it's own thread. (South Jersey, Woodmansie, CMSL Non-passenger, etc.)
Harry
R&DB

Previous

Return to New Jersey Railfan