"Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

Re: "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

Postby backroadrails » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:24 pm

I got to talk to a contractor working on the mill at OT today and I got some interesting info. For starters ND Paper just bought 30 more paper machines for Asia, and they are struggling to find pulp for the machines they have now. When OT is at capacity, combined with Rumford's output, it should supply 5-10 of the machines. This being said, he also said that another company had looked over Lincoln for ND Paper and said that it would cost $50.1 Million to get it operational, and despite the cost it is only a drop in the bucket for ND Paper. They are also looking at doing more at the complex at Old Town since most of the complex is unused where the paper machines where once located. But as with anything with this industry we will have to wait and see.
backroadrails

Postby gokeefe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:22 pm

Considering that they were looking at $111 million in Rumford alone, yes, $50.1 million really is a "good deal" in their way of thinking.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby CN9634 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:06 pm

backroadrails wrote:I got to talk to a contractor working on the mill at OT today and I got some interesting info. For starters ND Paper just bought 30 more paper machines for Asia, and they are struggling to find pulp for the machines they have now. When OT is at capacity, combined with Rumford's output, it should supply 5-10 of the machines. This being said, he also said that another company had looked over Lincoln for ND Paper and said that it would cost $50.1 Million to get it operational, and despite the cost it is only a drop in the bucket for ND Paper. They are also looking at doing more at the complex at Old Town since most of the complex is unused where the paper machines where once located. But as with anything with this industry we will have to wait and see.

Those must be some tiny machines if Old Town and Rumford will provide feedstock... I could see 1 or 2 maybe but 5-10 sounds like a lot.

Lincoln needs a heck’s of a lot of work, it’s had an explosion, large fire and remedial work done to it not to mention nothing has been maintained or preserved... assuming much of value hasn’t been sold off (I think they had an auction too)? Might as well start with a whole new site or expand an existing operation.

There are likely some shades of truth to what you heard, ND is certainly making a massive investment in a steady supply of virgin fiber, but I think there is some exaggerated story telling in this as well. No offense to the contractor, but I’ve heard a lot of stories out of these types over the years... I’m sure we will see more investment in the Forest economy here in Maine though, so at least things are looking up. Like most things the truth lies somewhere in between
CN9634

Postby gokeefe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 pm

The wood pulp is effectively supplementing their traditional waste paper fiber sources. They are building up as fast as they can in anticipation of further reductions in allowable waste paper imports.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby gokeefe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:52 pm

Interesting week in Rumford. Log cars all emptied, presumably for Irving in Dixfield. They took up two stub tracks in the upper yard for several days as they were unloaded. Nice way for Dixfield to bring in logs.

Yard is very full. Seems like more slurry in town than usual.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby fromway » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:17 pm

Was n Lincoln today. Is PAR still using this line much? Only minor snow removal seen.
fromway

Postby KSmitty » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:41 am

Yes they still use it. They are supposed to make 3 round trips from Waterville to Keag and back each week. On a 6 day rotation. They arent making that schedule and are making about 2 trips a week.
KSmitty

Postby gokeefe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:55 pm

fromway wrote:Was n Lincoln today. Is PAR still using this line much? Only minor snow removal seen.

Interesting point about snow removal. What I've seen in Rumford has been quite extensive to include crews from Maine Track Maintenance using leaf blowers on the switch points.

Last storm justified a track machine with a plow mounted on it. Won't be surprised to see the Russell plows in action after today's totals.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby gokeefe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:59 pm

KSmitty wrote:Yes they still use it. They are supposed to make 3 round trips from Waterville to Keag and back each week. On a 6 day rotation. They arent making that schedule and are making about 2 trips a week.

Lucky for them Old Town isn't back up and running yet. Huge push being made up there. I won't be surprised to see a substantial trackwork project in the spring.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby gokeefe » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:39 pm

For a sampling of what things look like on a typical PORU right now this video gives one a pretty good idea.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby newpylong » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:21 pm

They should literally be embarrassed for moving the amount of tonnage that branch is seeing at 5 and 10 mph. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
newpylong

Postby 690 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:30 am

The entire branch is 10, I’m not sure why you keeping referring to it as being 5 and 10 mph.

Postby newpylong » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:39 am

Because that train is moving well below 10 mph in the video regardless of the MAS on the branch. Spend enough time either on them or switching from the ground and you'll be able to tell the difference. The axle rotational speed is a clear giveaway.

5 or 10 it's pathetic. The mills have been screaming for 20 years that they want to grow their rail side but cant because of transit velocity on the last mile.
newpylong

Postby 690 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:08 pm

Maybe because 1) there’s a crossing right around the corner that’s notorious for ice build up, 2) that’s right in the proximity of a spot where they recently had a derailment, and 3) there are several sharp curves right through that area as well. Forgive the crew for maybe being a little cautious, especially with a pair of big, heavy B40s.

Also, you don’t need to try and lecture me on the difference between 5 and 10, I’m well aware of the difference, and I’ve been on the ground much more recently than you.

Postby gokeefe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:28 pm

I have to acknowledge newpylong's point that conditions on the branch are in fact "embarrassing". This is especially true past Riley's/Verso (so I've been told).

I appreciate and very much respect the hard work done by many to "make the best of it". They have done about as much as one can with rock ballast and new ties. Unfortunately I think we all know that this doesn't solve the problem of the condition and weight of the jointed rail.

I would only add that Pan Am is now dealing with a beast of a completely different type when it comes to the situation in Rumford. They are going to be relentless and I would imagine that they will make firm offers of guaranteed traffic fixed for years at a time.

If Pan Am is willing to consider a contract with performance guarantees I'm guessing they will get "top dollar plus" to cover the necessary upgrades.
gokeefe
gokeefe

PreviousNext

Return to Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)