Something borrowed, something blue...

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

Something borrowed, something blue...

Postby Allen Hazen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:28 am

This afternoon (20.x.2011) I saw something BLUE at the engine terminal of the CP yard in Edmonton, Alberta. (This is the yard whose north end is at Whyte Avenue in Strathcona, just east of Gateway Boulevard. Engine terminal is on the east side of the yard, a few blocks south of Whyte.) It was CEFX 1019, a General Electric AC44CW, coupled to one of CP's own AC44.

I think I read somewhere that CP was leasing all or most of CEFX's AC44 lease fleet, but this is the first time I've seen one in Edmonton.
Allen Hazen

Re: Something borrowed, something blue...

Postby Ken V » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:31 pm

I've seen CEFX AC44s on CP trains quite often out here in the east. They've been running around these parts off and on for a few years now.
Ken V. Moderator: Most things Canadian.
Any time could be train time!
Ken V

Postby Allen Hazen » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:01 pm

I noted that the CEFX unit had conventional "roller blades" trucks (not radial). Does CP try to keep the different orders of AC44 and ES44AC units assigned to different regions? With the non-radial-trucked units, including the CEFX ones, kept away from the Rockies? (Not that Edmonton is in the Rockies, but it's getting there...)
Allen Hazen

Postby Engineer Spike » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:32 am

CP had the high adhesion ( Rollerblade ) trucks on the first few orders. They then switched to radial trucks through the first ES44 order. They determined that they weren't worth the extra maintenance. Since then it has been back to the old.trucks.
The CEFX engines are a compromise between CPR and UP. They have the Canadian hot plates, streatchers, etc. Some have UP cab signals. Others have the brackets for them. I think they were to be pooled.
CP also has some AC44s set up with UP distributed power equipment, which is not compatible with our own. These units are in the 9700 class.
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Return to Canadian Pacific Railway