Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby rwk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:04 pm

I am wondering if there are any long distance railfan trips in eastern PA or NJ in 2011? Even diesel power. Is Juniata Terminal doing anything? I know there's the West Chester one on June 4, the Willow Grove to New Hope on May 15. It seems Reading and Northern isn't doing much in the spring or summer with 425 out of service, just the Dutch Treat Train probably to White Haven 50 mile round trip on June 11. The longest Steamtown is doing is Tobyhanna until October, and the first train of the season doesn't start until July. I might go to Black River and Western or Wilmington and Western for one of their steam runs or extended runs to Three Bridges, NJ (May 29) or Hockessin, DE (July 4 Fireworks special).
rwk
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: Allentown, PA

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby blockline4180 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:45 am

I thought the New Hope & Ivyland #40 was supposed to run from New Hope to Willow Grove on Septa in May, but haven't seen anything from the NH&I website confirming this, so it may not happen!!
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
User avatar
blockline4180
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am
Location: NJ and me, Broke Together!

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby carajul » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:14 pm

A groups of us tried getting a rail excursion going from NYC to PA. But NS flat out would not cooperate.
carajul
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby GCarp » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:21 am

blockline4180 wrote:I thought the New Hope & Ivyland #40 was supposed to run from New Hope to Willow Grove on Septa in May, but haven't seen anything from the NH&I website confirming this, so it may not happen!!


Just this past week I recieved in the mail a Upper Moreland Township flyer that had an insert for the Willow Grove festivities and the NH&I excursion is in it for May 15 leaving WG at 12:30pm & returning - if I remember correctly, at 5:00pm.
It can be seen here: http://willowgrove300.com/images/specia ... -11-11.pdf
GCarp
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 11:41 am
Location: Hatboro

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby blockline4180 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:35 pm

GCarp wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:I thought the New Hope & Ivyland #40 was supposed to run from New Hope to Willow Grove on Septa in May, but haven't seen anything from the NH&I website confirming this, so it may not happen!!


Just this past week I recieved in the mail a Upper Moreland Township flyer that had an insert for the Willow Grove festivities and the NH&I excursion is in it for May 15 leaving WG at 12:30pm & returning - if I remember correctly, at 5:00pm.
It can be seen here: http://willowgrove300.com/images/specia ... -11-11.pdf



Thanks... Will look into this!

Much appreciative! :-)

Edit: Btw, who do you call to obtain tickets or is it just first come first serve??
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
User avatar
blockline4180
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am
Location: NJ and me, Broke Together!

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby GCarp » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:14 am

Don't know about tickets. The mailed flyer was no more specific than the online version. I would contact NH&I or the Willow Grove 300 contact.
GCarp
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 11:41 am
Location: Hatboro

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby rwk » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:18 pm

Yeah, even though NS is bringing back steam excursions it seems that it's very hard to get them to permit any type of railfan excursion to, from, or through the Lehigh Valley probably because the lines are so busy and the liability issues, equipment issues (friction bearings prohibited) etc. I wonder if that will ever change with the new steam program with TVRM, that is will steam ever come to the LV on NS? NS basically monopolizes all through rail routes in the LV so if they say no to railfan excursions (except perhaps an Amtrak charter or Bennett Levin's Juniata Terminal PRR E8 train which tickets are ridiculously high) then there will be zero opportunity to ride any long distance train from, to, or through the Lehigh Valley for a long time. So, it's either WK&S, Phillipsburg Bel Del, or drive farther to a train ride or excursion for us Lehigh Valley, Allentown, PA residents. Remember when in 1988 Reading 2102 and NKP 765 ran railfan excursions through the Lehigh Valley on Conrail? 2102 also ran through Allentown to Jim Thorpe in Sept. 1985 and fall 1987.
rwk
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: Allentown, PA

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby scotty269 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:35 pm

West Chester to and from Lansdale via Center City - Operated by WCRR
scotty269
 
Posts: 2727
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Manayunk, Philadelphia, PA

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby Altoid2 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:10 pm

There are rumors of a LV to Steamtown excursion for Railfeat with affordable coach accommodations.
Altoid2
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby trackwelder » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Altoid2 wrote:There are rumors of a LV to Steamtown excursion for Railfeat with affordable coach accommodations.


where did you some of these "rumors"?
shipbuilder
rail maintainer, 1st class
FEBT volunteer

TWU 234---WE MOVE PHILADELPHIA!!!
trackwelder
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:00 pm
Location: i ain't gonna work on maggie's farm no more

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby Andyt293 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:38 pm

jtaeffner wrote:
Altoid2 wrote:There are rumors of a LV to Steamtown excursion for Railfeat with affordable coach accommodations.


where did you some of these "rumors"?


Rumors are just that, rumors. Please post definitive information citing verifiable sources.
Andyt293
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:21 pm
Location: Forty Fort, Pa

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby jrevans » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:42 am

Could it be similar to the Reading & Northern excursion that I took in the late 1990's/early 2000's from Jim Thorpe to Steamtown?
That was a nice trip, even with just diesels.

I'd really like to attend the West Chester to Lansdale trip with my four year old son, but I think it might be too much of a long day for him (and me....) I did tell my wife that we could nap on the train. :)
JimE
Jim's train Web Pages - (Actually, this site doesn't exist any more....)
User avatar
jrevans
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Berks County in Eastern Pennsylvania

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby Mike77E9 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:50 am

Andyt293 wrote:
jtaeffner wrote:
Altoid2 wrote:There are rumors of a LV to Steamtown excursion for Railfeat with affordable coach accommodations.


where did you some of these "rumors"?


Rumors are just that, rumors. Please post definitive information citing verifiable sources.


I heard this too. My friend got a copy of May's Railpace, and it stated a public excursion from Allentown to Steamtown for Railfest. No further information though.
User avatar
Mike77E9
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Less than 3,000ft from the busiest freight line in New Jersey!

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby CarterB » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:09 am

If there is any further info on a "Railfeat" excursion, I'd like to know. Thanks!!
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
User avatar
CarterB
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:19 am
Location: Bergen County, New Jersey

Re: Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

Postby blockline4180 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:10 am

Mike77E9 wrote:
I heard this too. My friend got a copy of May's Railpace, and it stated a public excursion from Allentown to Steamtown for Railfest. No further information though.


I don't know how exactly they will pull that one off with high insurance premiums today, but that would be amazing if it does occur!!!!!
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
User avatar
blockline4180
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am
Location: NJ and me, Broke Together!

Next

Return to Pennsylvania Railfan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest