New Blue Line Cars Discussion(Now in Service)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: New Blue Line Cars Discussion(Now in Service)

Postby vivelasondas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:23 am

CRail wrote:Frank Oglesby is the voice on the Red Line Bombardier cars. The cars are seldom updated because they can no longer match the voice for new announcements because he is no longer with the company, and hasn't been for a while. The 0700s do not have his voice, nor do they have one that sounds anything like his.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. Mr. Oglesby is the voice for anything automated in the system with the exception of the Commuter Rail. He does the bus, Red Line (when he was young, which explains why his voice is so much higher), Green Line, buses, Blue Line, and messages saying trains are approaching and arriving. I'm pretty sure that he's still working for the T.
vivelasondas

Postby diburning » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:40 am

He is the Deputy Director of Customer Service for the MBTA. Whether he's recording announcements or not, rest assured, he will still be working for the MBTA.
diburning

Postby sery2831 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:21 pm

Just to keep this on topic. If we want to discuss the ASA on the Blue Cars keep the discussion here. If you want to start talking about ASAs in general, then this is the thread: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=58942
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby ftran999 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:18 pm

This morning I was on the train the had the different announcements (destination and mispronunciation of Suffolk Downs). I noticed on one of the rear windows was a sign that looked like it was printed on a desktop printer and read something like
MP 8

Car 715.

The car 715 is obvious but does anyone know what the MP 8 stands for?
ftran999

Postby vivelasondas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:01 pm

ftran999 wrote:This morning I was on the train the had the different announcements (destination and mispronunciation of Suffolk Downs). I noticed on one of the rear windows was a sign that looked like it was printed on a desktop printer and read something like
MP 8

Car 715.

The car 715 is obvious but does anyone know what the MP 8 stands for?

That's definitely the ASA I've heard, but I have no idea what MP 8 could mean. If you see it again, try to get a picture. Also (and I could be wrong), weren't 0715 and its married car (0714?) used and partially dismantled for extra parts? I know I saw something like that somewhere before, possibly even in this thread.
vivelasondas

Postby vivelasondas » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:40 pm

I found out something about the new ASA! When I was coming home from Aquarium today, I got the cars with it. It's only a test version, according to a piece of paper on the front of the car. The paper says close to the following, and includes a small grammatical error, which is italicized :wink: : "Please don't brake up current car consistency! The current cars 0718/0719-0747/0746-0714/0715 are using a test SW, and if will not work with other cars using service SW!" It's not the exact wording of the sign, but close enough. These cars are being used as test subjects for the new ASA. If we get enough people to write to the top, then maybe they'll keep it! It sounds a lot smoother than the Frank Oglesby version they're using. Also, I noticed something different in this version. All messages unrelated to "Next stop," "Entering," or "This stop," are flashed once. It simply flashes it one line at a time on the LED screen, like "PLEASE RESPECT" -> "PRIORITY SEATS". The door opening message simply flashes "DOORS OPEN RIGHT" or "DOORS OPEN LEFT". I hope this version sticks! Tell them to keep it!
vivelasondas

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:56 pm

I like this version too.

I ride the Chicago CTA a lot and its the same voice.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby vivelasondas » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:15 pm

Yes, I noticed that, too. I was Chicago exactly a week ago. It was a nice system, and I loved the doors that folded open like the Green Line (on the T). I didn't get very far though, as I was only in town for a few hours.
vivelasondas

Postby jamesinclair » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:01 am

vivelasondas wrote:Also, I noticed something different in this version. All messages unrelated to "Next stop," "Entering," or "This stop," are flashed once. It simply flashes it one line at a time on the LED screen, like "PLEASE RESPECT" -> "PRIORITY SEATS". The door opening message simply flashes "DOORS OPEN RIGHT" or "DOORS OPEN LEFT". I hope this version sticks! Tell them to keep it!

Do you mean the LED flashes the message once and then goes blank, like on the red line?

Thats horrible, I prefer the green line style of having the message constantly displayed
jamesinclair

Postby vivelasondas » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:32 am

jamesinclair wrote:
vivelasondas wrote:Also, I noticed something different in this version. All messages unrelated to "Next stop," "Entering," or "This stop," are flashed once. It simply flashes it one line at a time on the LED screen, like "PLEASE RESPECT" -> "PRIORITY SEATS". The door opening message simply flashes "DOORS OPEN RIGHT" or "DOORS OPEN LEFT". I hope this version sticks! Tell them to keep it!

Do you mean the LED flashes the message once and then goes blank, like on the red line?

Thats horrible, I prefer the green line style of having the message constantly displayed

That can be answered as a "yes" and a "no." The "DOORS OPEN XXXXX" message flashes once, sometimes does a courtesy message, like "DON'T FORGET" -> "YOUR BELONGINGS", then scrolls back to "ENTERING XXXXXXXX". However, when the doors close, the screen goes blank. It can be a bit stupid, especially since there's no outbound announcement for "NEXT STOP, MAVERICK". Everything else scrolls like the previous version.
vivelasondas

Postby jamesinclair » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:28 pm

That makes a bit more sense.

But still, why reinvent the wheel? The green line ADA is perfect, they should have used that and just made the station signs different. Airport could be the no smoking station.
jamesinclair

Postby vivelasondas » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:21 am

jamesinclair wrote:That makes a bit more sense.

But still, why reinvent the wheel? The green line ADA is perfect, they should have used that and just made the station signs different. Airport could be the no smoking station.

Good point, but I think that the T wanted the courtesy messages anyway. With the amount of ridership the Blue Line gets at rush hour, it's necessary to tell people about priority seating. I see older riders forced to stand all the time because of girls in their 20s yakking on their phones throughout the entire surface duration of the ride.
vivelasondas

Postby vivelasondas » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:33 pm

While taking the train home from school today, I noticed that 0714 and 0715 were coupled to my set of cars. I guess the management decided to trash the old (better) system and go with the default system. It's too bad; it should've stayed.
vivelasondas

Postby ftran999 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Yesterday I was on the train with the alternative ASA (car 714). However, there was a bug in the system. At each stop it kept announcing the train would run express to the station where it was stopped at.
ftran999

New ASA

Postby vivelasondas » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:12 pm

I actually have some good news: those trains still have the different ASA system.
ftran999 wrote:Yesterday I was on the train with the alternative ASA (car 714). However, there was a bug in the system. At each stop it kept announcing the train would run express to the station where it was stopped at.

However, as you said, they announce that they will run express to the current stop, unless they're in the first car of the set. If they're the head car, then it'll work as it should, but all trains behind them that don't have that version installed won't function properly. I was fortunate enough to get what I thought was the same car going both Boston-bound and Revere-bound, so I happened to get a video of the one going to Boston. I sent the clip in to the new Blue Line chief, hoping she'll like it and install it on the rest of the fleet. Below is the trip from Revere a few nights ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO_8I3B_wzs
vivelasondas

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)