Solari board replacement at South Station and Back Bay

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Solari board replacement at South Station and Back Bay

Postby shadyjay » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:46 pm

I saw the smaller boards still up over the track "gates" last week... to tell you the truth I don't remember them working too well (if at all) when I would frequent SS 1996-1998. They would be a cool "buy" for railfans - if you could manually scroll through the destinations. I'd get one if they went for a reasonable amount of $.

Also nice to see giant ads for Vermont finally replacing the IPod ads. Too bad there wasn't a direct train from Boston to Vermont and the service could really be marketed with the ads.

http://shadyjay.files.wordpress.com/200 ... 09-013.jpg
shadyjay

Postby bierhere » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:17 pm

I recently noticed that MBTA replaced MBCR as the carrier. Anyone know when this happened?
bierhere

Postby danib62 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:38 pm

bierhere wrote:I recently noticed that MBTA replaced MBCR as the carrier. Anyone know when this happened?

Because MBTA is the carrier! MBCR is just the operator.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby type 7 3704 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:38 pm

As of 8/17, all the mini Solaris have been removed.
type 7 3704

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Today the solari boards at North Station kept making the "number flip" sound over and over and over -- nonstop!
BostonUrbEx

Postby Diverging Route » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:56 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:Today the solari boards at North Station kept making the "number flip" sound over and over and over -- nonstop!

I noticed that yesterday (Thursday) as well. Time to reboot the system...
Diverging Route

Postby CRail » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:20 pm

I've witnessed that before. They've also clapped for no reason ever since they were installed. Not constantly, but periodically when no changes are made to the board.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby sery2831 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:53 am

The board to left at North Station has been making non stop clicking noise for over 3 days now.

The boards are all linked(North, South, and Back Bay) I am told. And when one board is changing, they all click! Sort of odd if ask me, and I cannot confirm if it's true.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby boblothrope » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:44 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:Today the solari boards at North Station kept making the "number flip" sound over and over and over -- nonstop!

That fake flipping noise is annoying noise pollution. They should get rid of it. If there needs to be audio notification of an update besides the announcement itself, they can use a simple ding.
boblothrope

Postby The EGE » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:25 pm

The flipping noise is very popular - even with those not old enough to remember the real noises the boards made. When all three stations lack enough room during rush hour to actually stand and see the board, and the announcements sounds like the adults in Charlie Brown, the flipping noise is a lifesaver. It's unobtrusive compared to any other noise, and it's a neat hat tip to railroad history.
The EGE

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:42 pm

I agree with The Egg in all his hardboiled glory. In this day of cut-backs and no frills, it's nice to see a little whimsy, especially if the subject matter is historically railroad at a railroad station. It's got to be a minimum investment to provide and it gives the place just a bit more personality. Well worth it !
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Agree fully with Ege here. I just wish it would only make the number flip noise when the board actually changes.
BostonUrbEx

Postby diburning » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:04 pm

The problem is..... the flipping noise sounds NOTHING like the real Solari board! I remember what they sound like. The current boards sound like someone trying to start a truck.

The automated voice sounds a LOT like Frank Oglesby, but seeing how it mispronounces simple words like New Hampshire (Nuu hem-shah? is literally what it says with a somewhat surprised tone to it)

For the 12:10AM trains at North Station, those announcements are generally done by a person. I don't see why they can't simply record a person making the announcement, and then replay it. Heck, even Microsoft Sam would be an improvement over the current voice.
diburning

Postby sery2831 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:59 am

The 12:10s are announced by the system every night.

The boards make the clicking sounds randomly(reasoning explained in a post by me above)... They should only make the clicking sound when the information is being changed on the boards to bring attention to the changing information.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby diburning » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:43 am

Of the many times that I've taken an outbound train that leave at 12:10AM, I've noticed that when they board more than one train at a time, the announcement is usually (but not always) at least partially done by a person and not the automated system. (meaning the person will announce 2 trains while the automated system will announce the others)
diburning

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)