EL Business Train disposition

Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

EL Business Train disposition

Postby rrfoose » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:15 pm

What happened to Erie Lackawanna's business train? Did they sell off the pieces before Conrail, or did some of the equipment go into the CR executive fleet?
rrfoose

Re: EL Business Train

Postby njmidland » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:18 pm

The 10-5 Pullman sleeper, "Spirit of Youngstown", did go to Conrail and went on to CSX. It is now named "Youngstown" and part of the CSX business train.
~Tim Stuy
Purveyor of fine food products from the Golden Age of Railroad Travel: http://www.phoebesnowco.com
njmidland

Postby rrfoose » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:11 pm

njmidland wrote:The 10-5 Pullman sleeper, "Spirit of Youngstown", did go to Conrail and went on to CSX. It is now named "Youngstown" and part of the CSX business train.

Seems that was the only car that went on to CR. Anyone else know what happened to the rest of the fleet?
rrfoose

Postby rrfoose » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:27 pm

Did EL have any more than one business car at the time of the CR merger?
rrfoose

Postby TB Diamond » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:04 am

Per one of my photos taken of President Maxwell's inpsection special traversing the Cuba Cutoff trestle at Fillmore, NY on 10 March 1976, the consist was two EMD E8 locomotives and four business cars. The trailing car appeared to have had a observation platform. May have the locomotive and car numbers in my notes which are not at hand right now.
You can't go home again- Thomas Wolfe
TB Diamond

Re: EL Business Train disposition

Postby bingdude » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:37 am

EL had at least two open-end cars for the Biz fleet. I remember visiting the former DL&W station in Scranton just after it was turned into a hotel in the early 80s, and one of these (I think it was #3) was out back, still in EL livery. The trucks had ERIE cast in them, so it was a definite former EL car and not a re-painted one from another road.
bingdude

Postby bingdude » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:56 am

The Erie Biz fleet is listed on the fallen flags website. Here's what I found:

#3 was the car I saw in Scranton. I'm not sure where it is now. It might be part of Steamtown collection although I've not seen it in since the mid 80s.

#2 was bought by private business and was restored in the late 80s. It was in Philadelphia for a while. Someone named Sanders owned it.
bingdude

Postby bingdude » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:38 pm

Here's a pic. of #2 on the rails a few years back. The owner named it Phoebe Snow.

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=110545
bingdude

Postby jhdeasy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:34 pm

The late Richard Sanders owned the former EL 2, which he stored at the Levin's Juniata Terminal Company in Philadelphia. I think his last major trip with the car was AAPRCO's 1991 convention at Ashland WI, which was hosted by Wisconsin Central. The car was assigned Amtrak's PV number 800102, but I doubt the car has current (2009) Amtrak inspections. I'm not sure who owns it today, as it is not listed in the current AAPRCO registry.
jhdeasy

Postby Tri-State Tom » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:18 am

So does anyone know where #2 is today ? It sure looked externally prestine in that 2005 photo !

Also, AIR one of the E-L biz cars was for years sitting on a siding next to/part of a restaurant in Pittsburg. Then I think about 8-9 years ago I remember reading that this car had been privately purchased and readied for movement by rail to somewhere in New England.

Does this ring a bell with anyone with better knowledge ?
Tri-State Tom

Postby pdtrains » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:06 pm

AFAIR, they are all listed in the Official Passenger Car Equipment Register. Get a copy from late 60's/early 70's.
If no one here has one, I'll get to one of mine, eventually.
pdtrains

Postby PassRailSavesFuel » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Tri-State Tom wrote:So does anyone know where #2 is today ? It sure looked externally prestine in that 2005 photo !

Also, AIR one of the E-L biz cars was for years sitting on a siding next to/part of a restaurant in Pittsburg. Then I think about 8-9 years ago I remember reading that this car had been privately purchased and readied for movement by rail to somewhere in New England.

Does this ring a bell with anyone with better knowledge ?

Tom there's at DL&W biz car in Phoenix, Arizona at a railroad museum. Amtrak equiped. Also I read somewhere there's a DL&W biz car at Derby, Maine shops.
Delaware, Lackawanna and Pacific-everywhere east.
New domes should be built and soon.
PassRailSavesFuel

Postby Tri-State Tom » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:13 am

Pass -

Also I read somewhere there's a DL&W biz car at Derby, Maine shops.

By accident, found/confirmed location of #99....the car that for years was attached to a restaurant in Pittsburgh....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 30&nseq=10

The brief caption is somewhat sad....exterior appears quite salvageable for restoration but sounds like vandals got into the interior sometime following departure from Pittsburgh.
Tri-State Tom

Postby Otto Vondrak » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:42 pm

EL 2 was purchased by Genesee Valley Transporation and moved to Scranton in March 2017.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby JohnR19 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:26 pm

EL 4 was purchased by Green Mountain Railroad,and is now named Macintyre.
JohnR19

Return to DL&W, Erie and Erie Lackawanna