Snow Flanger Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Snow Flanger Discussion

Postby tom18287 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:34 pm

at about 1120 am, i saw a single mbta loco with one yellow(ish?) boxcar heading north. what was this?
tom18287
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:11 pm

Re: odd site at oak grove today

Postby AEM7AC920 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:07 pm

tom18287 wrote:at about 1120 am, i saw a single mbta loco with one yellow(ish?) boxcar heading north. what was this?


Was the loco the 3247? if so I am guessing you saw the work extra with the snow flanger (the yellow looking boxcar). I know it has been out and about lately on all the lines plowing snow!
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: odd site at oak grove today

Postby tom18287 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:29 am

didnt catch the number, i was driving. it didnt look like a normal mbta loco, but it was still purple and silver.
tom18287
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:11 pm

Re: odd site at oak grove today

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:15 am

tom18287 wrote:didnt catch the number, i was driving. it didnt look like a normal mbta loco, but it was still purple and silver.


LOL if it didn't look like a normal loco then it was the work engine 3247. Look at the link below that would be a pic of it from our Mod's webage

http://sery2831.smugmug.com/gallery/472 ... 7636_uAEfi
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: odd site at oak grove today

Postby Dick H » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:25 am

It was reported on another site, that the MBTA was making salt deliveries to several commuter rail stations. They use trhe work train loco and a box car containing the bags of salt to make the deliveries. This is probably what was seen.

Dick
Dick H
 
Posts: 3027
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: Dover, NH

Re: odd site at oak grove today

Postby 130MM » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:28 am

The key word is "yellow(ish)". That makes it the flanger.

DAW

Dick H wrote:It was reported on another site, that the MBTA was making salt deliveries to several commuter rail stations. They use trhe work train loco and a box car containing the bags of salt to make the deliveries. This is probably what was seen.

Dick
130MM
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Wakefield, MA

Re: odd site at oak grove today

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:28 am

Dick H wrote:It was reported on another site, that the MBTA was making salt deliveries to several commuter rail stations. They use trhe work train loco and a box car containing the bags of salt to make the deliveries. This is probably what was seen.

Dick


When salt deliveries are made the ex-amtrak MHC is used. The yellow looking boxcar is the flanger, if you look under it you can see the huge blades.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: odd site at oak grove today

Postby tom18287 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:09 pm

driving by the line in wakefield today, the snow is very dirty, looks like something scraped out around the rails, so that makes sense,
tom18287
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:11 pm

Re: odd site at oak grove today

Postby 130MM » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:56 am

As noted above the flanger has four blades -- one plowing to each side for each direction of travel. They are mounted on air cyliders which are controlled electrically from a simple box with switches that say "Up" or "Down". (The electricity comes via MU cables from the loco.) When they are in the down position the blades extend below the top of rail. So the operator has to know where all obstructions are, and lift the blades accordingly. As there is a little lag time in the lifting, one has to be careful to lift it early enough.

The main purpose is to clear the flangeways (hence the term "flanger"), as well as clearing the snow from the gage which, at least in our case, prevents the cables between the cars from abrading on the snowpack.

If I ever figure out how to do it i'll post a short video I have shot from the cab of the loco during flanging.

DAW

tom18287 wrote:driving by the line in wakefield today, the snow is very dirty, looks like something scraped out around the rails, so that makes sense,
130MM
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Wakefield, MA

Re: odd site at oak grove today

Postby AEM7AC920 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:09 am

130MM wrote:As noted above the flanger has four blades -- one plowing to each side for each direction of travel. They are mounted on air cyliders which are controlled electrically from a simple box with switches that say "Up" or "Down". (The electricity comes via MU cables from the loco.) When they are in the down position the blades extend below the top of rail. So the operator has to know where all obstructions are, and lift the blades accordingly. As there is a little lag time in the lifting, one has to be careful to lift it early enough.

The main purpose is to clear the flangeways (hence the term "flanger"), as well as clearing the snow from the gage which, at least in our case, prevents the cables between the cars from abrading on the snowpack.

If I ever figure out how to do it i'll post a short video I have shot from the cab of the loco during flanging.

DAW

tom18287 wrote:driving by the line in wakefield today, the snow is very dirty, looks like something scraped out around the rails, so that makes sense,


Thanks for the quick lesson :wink: I had the pleasure of being the cndr on the work train a few weeks ago when we took it out for the 1st time down the Fitchburg Route. I must say it is very interesting to tug that thing along at 35mph and sit back in the caboose and watch all the snow fly everywhere!
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: odd site at oak grove today

Postby diburning » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:21 pm

Hmm, I've been on a Fitchburg train that was the first train out to Fitchburg and the ROW was completely buried in snow. When the train pulled up to each station, the passengers all got a faceful! Do they only use the flanger if the snow is compacted or if they suspect icing?
User avatar
diburning
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Practicing safe CSX by using Three-Step Protection

Re: odd site at oak grove today

Postby 130MM » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:57 am

The flanger is generally brought out when the snow is piled in the gage to the point where it extends above the rail. If that is the case, it can freeze and then will abrade the bottoms of the cables between the cars causing HEP problems. The flanging also gives the snow from the next storm someplace to go.

We don't flange through stations as it would leave a windrow right on the yellow line. Plus a lot of the stations have pedestrian crossings that you can't flange through.

DAW

diburning wrote:Hmm, I've been on a Fitchburg train that was the first train out to Fitchburg and the ROW was completely buried in snow. When the train pulled up to each station, the passengers all got a faceful! Do they only use the flanger if the snow is compacted or if they suspect icing?
130MM
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Wakefield, MA

Re: Snow Flanger Discussion

Postby ns3010 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:17 pm

Flanger 64711 has been rebuilt and is ready for winter.

Photos: https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/669523444128718850


Does anyone know more about the history of this piece? I know it was CR 64711 before coming to the T. Was it built new as a flanger, or converted from a caboose?
User avatar
ns3010
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: MP 226.5

Re: Snow Flanger Discussion

Postby GP40MC1118 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:02 pm

MBTX 64711 Acquired: 10/04
Ex-Conrail 64711
Built: 11/78 Nominal Weight: 67,300 lbs. All steel. Conrail Class: SF1A Paint Code: P621178
Notes: Arrived 11/08/04 via CSX Beacon Park Yard, Allston, Ma. Built by Conrail at their
Hollidaysburgh Shops (Pa.) and bought from CSX. It was stored for several years at Pittsfield, Ma.
Entered service 1/05. Rehabbed and repainted 2015 at Hyannis, Ma.

D
GP40MC1118
 
Posts: 3294
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:06 pm

Re: Snow Flanger Discussion

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:49 pm

I like the little touch of adding the snow lines from last year and the blizzard of 76.
User avatar
Adams_Umass_Boston
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Eastie


Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigUglyCat, Komarovsky, shawnp and 8 guests