'Park Street Under' Sitcom?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

'Park Street Under' Sitcom?

Postby savebowdoin » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:22 pm

Can anyone remember the locally-produced sitcom "Park Street Under", set in a fictional bar inside the Park Street subway station? These are the details according to a Wikipedia entry:

"Park Street Under is a sitcom set in a fictional bar in the Park Street subway station in Boston, Massachusetts. It was produced starting in 1979 by Boston television station WCVB-TV. This was the first example in the United States of a half-hour sitcom produced by a local station. Some viewers claim that Park Street Under was a significant inspiration for the extremely popular NBC sitcom Cheers, which was also set in a fictional Boston bar."

I find this very intriguing and would like to hear any details if anyone knows them!!

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:09 am

Sorry, I cannot remember but it sounds like something that WCVB would have done. Back in the "golden days" of local tv here in Boston, WCVB was a pioneer broadcaster. Now, it has gone the way of most other tv stations. Corporate ownership, mind numbing programming et al.

I hope you find out some info on it. I'm looking forward to finding out more.
SnoozerZ49

Postby MTD » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:15 am

I definitely remember WCVB back then producing shows called The Baxters (one cast member was a young Megan Follows of "Anne of Green Gables" fame) and Miller's Court which the latter lasted a few years. But I don't recall them making Park Street Under. My guess here is that the show must have not had more than five episodes or something...
MTD

Postby StevieC48 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:01 am

Im a media junkie too but you must rember WCVB's bozo with the Center Entrance Car @ Watertown. But I cant recall, Park St Under. If you have a link please link us. Stevie
Last edited by StevieC48 on Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby TomNelligan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:50 am

I remember it to the extent that I recall a show by that name, but I don't think I ever watched it. As Mr.MTD notes, in its early days (it first got its licence in the mid-1970s) WCVB-TV was known for its locally-produced original programming. But I guess I missed that one.
TomNelligan

Park Street Under

Postby dpbchez » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:42 pm

I am too young to remember it, but I know it existed because it was written by my godfather, Harry Durso. I'd have to ask him the details, but I'm pretty sure it arose because he was writing for The Baxters. It was set in a bar in the Park Street Station and the bartender was a retired Red Sox pitcher, one of the main reasons it is assumed that Cheers was inspired by it. I believe the comedian Steve Sweeny starred in it. He was just becoming big in Boston at the time. I think they only shot 3 episodes or so. My godfather my even still have them on tape. This is all remembered from hearing my father and godfather talk about it over the years, epecially back when Cheers came off the air and garnered so much attention, so I may be wrong in the details. But the show definately aired.
dpbchez

Postby WonderlandMan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:13 am

Wow, that's pretty cool
WonderlandMan

Re: Park Street Under

Postby blink55184 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 am

dpbchez wrote:I am too young to remember it, but I know it existed because it was written by my godfather, Harry Durso. I'd have to ask him the details, but I'm pretty sure it arose because he was writing for The Baxters. It was set in a bar in the Park Street Station and the bartender was a retired Red Sox pitcher, one of the main reasons it is assumed that Cheers was inspired by it. I believe the comedian Steve Sweeny starred in it. He was just becoming big in Boston at the time. I think they only shot 3 episodes or so. My godfather my even still have them on tape. This is all remembered from hearing my father and godfather talk about it over the years, epecially back when Cheers came off the air and garnered so much attention, so I may be wrong in the details. But the show definately aired.

man, if he has those on tape, upload them on youtube or something so you can share the wealth! If you do no have the equipment or capabilities to do so, I can help!
blink55184

Postby savebowdoin » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:01 pm

blink55184 wrote:man, if he has those on tape, upload them on youtube or something so you can share the wealth! If you do no have the equipment or capabilities to do so, I can help!

I second that!! That is really cool that he actually worked on the show!

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby A320 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:36 pm

dpbchez wrote:I am too young to remember it, but I know it existed because it was written by my godfather, Harry Durso.

I remember watching that show, and enjoying it very much, but unfortunately I don't remember many of the details about it (cast, etc.). It was indeed set in a bar in the Park St. Subway. (I even remember one character wearing a T uniform, much like Cliff wore his US Postal Service uniform on Cheers.)

I haven't watched a lot of commercial television for years (I watch, like, none today) but I never missed that show. It was very well written, and it gave one a sense of local pride since it was produced locally, was about Boston, and the characters actually had Boston accents -- unlike the 99.9% of all other sitcoms that are set in New York, are about New Yorkers, and feature mostly actors with New York accents (like Carla on Cheers).

I seem to recall that when Cheers became a huge success, the original developers of Park Street Under took some legal action to try to get compensated for what they thought was stolen intellectual property, but they had no chance against Almighty NBC.

It would be wonderful to see some tapes of that program re-surface. It was produced, as another poster mentioned, in the days when WCVB was a progressive locally-owned entity, and not just another a link in a giant multi-media chain.

Surely, somebody still works there -- like an engineer, or a camera person, or Natalie Jacobson -- that may remember the program, and may know if any tapes of it survive.
A320

Re: 'Park Street Under' Sitcom?

Postby HarriettInGeorgia » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:20 pm

I was in the audience at the recording of one of the Park Street Under episodes. As I recall, Arnie Reisman and, I think, Tony Kahn were involved in the writing and/or production. Both can be heard on "Says You."

When Cheers came along, my first thought was that the producers of Cheers must have gotten a good part of their inspiration from PSU. Park Street Under was very funny, a pleasure to watch.
HarriettInGeorgia

Postby jonnhrr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Of course I don't think there was ever actually a bar at Park St. or any MBTA station. I seem to recall the upper (Green line) level has some kind of a counter where you could get Pizza, and there was a coffee shop in the Summer St. concourse, but nothing that offered adult beverages that I can recall.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:50 pm

jonnhrr wrote:Of course I don't think there was ever actually a bar at Park St. or any MBTA station. I seem to recall the upper (Green line) level has some kind of a counter where you could get Pizza, and there was a coffee shop in the Summer St. concourse, but nothing that offered adult beverages that I can recall.

Jon

Closest thing was the "Rendezvous Bar" in the old Roosevelt Hotel at the bottom of the stairs to Dover Station. Best part of it was not finding a yuppie in the place ! Worst part of it was that "top shelf" was mounted on the wall and made of wood !

This actually would be an interesting thread - "Boston Stations Within 50 feet of a Bar Room." Maybe I'll start one sometime.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 pm

The railroad lobby levels of both North and South stations have bars. North Station's opened within the last year or so. The old North Station in the old Boston Garden had one, too.
Ron Newman

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Ron Newman wrote:The railroad lobby levels of both North and South stations have bars. North Station's opened within the last year or so. The old North Station in the old Boston Garden had one, too.

The "Iron Horse".(North Station)
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)