Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed Line)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed Line)

Postby Gerry6309 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:46 pm

The Mattapan Ashmont Line reopened at 5:10 AM this morning.

By Noon:

3263 had derailled at Mattapan.

3262 Broke down enroute to Ashmont, Rescued by 3254.

3087 was running with heavy traffic, a low speed plug and operator having trouble with wheel slip.

Despite the problems (normal) customers seemed happy! Now we have yet to hear from those people along Brook Rd. who had frequent service for 18 months and are back to 1 bus an hour and nothing after 7 PM and Sundays.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Re: Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed L

Postby AutisticPsycho » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:10 pm

Gerry6309 wrote:The Mattapan Ashmont Line reopened at 5:10 AM this morning.

By Noon:

3263 had derailled at Mattapan.

3262 Broke down enroute to Ashmont, Rescued by 3254.

3087 was running with heavy traffic, a low speed plug and operator having trouble with wheel slip.

Despite the problems (normal) customers seemed happy! Now we have yet to hear from those people along Brook Rd. who had frequent service for 18 months and are back to 1 bus an hour and nothing after 7 PM and Sundays.

Well, that's pretty good, especially for 60+ years old PCCs that have been out of service for about 18 months.
Blue Line to Lynn: Transit discrimination at it's finest.
AutisticPsycho

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:10 pm

Re: Brook Road: service wasn't as frequent as the schedule suggests. During the periods when only 1 out of 3 buses were scheduled to go via Brook Road, it was usually only 1 out of 6 buses because the schedule was set up so that the bus would leave at the same time a train was arriving at Ashmont.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby sery2831 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:25 pm

Did anyone notice if they have new Charlie fare boxes installed?
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Ricky Smith » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:35 pm

Pictures?
Ricky Smith
Ricky Smith

Postby dieciduej » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:49 pm

Did anyone notice if they have new Charlie fare boxes installed?

Yes they do have the new fare boxes.

Pictures?

I do have pictures, just have to get them organized and posted.

All I know is I took 3254 from Ashmont to Mattapan and watched it pull 3262 back on the tracks and then latter to see it at Ashmont pushing disabled 3234. So PCC 3254 is my new hero, hopefully it won't be tomorrow's goat.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby Gerry6309 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:34 pm

I apologize - I guessed on the number of the disabled. As for the fare box, the inbound at Mattapan threw open the doors and said "Just get on!". At the time 3087 was the only car running. 3234 breaking down is no surprise, either. Some things never change. Schedule 3254 for washtub work soon! :(
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:44 pm

I rode 3234 from Capen Street to Ashmont and back. That, 3087, and 3254 were all operating today. The CharlieCard fareboxes have been installed in the cars. At Ashmont, they have the stairs from the trolley loop to the Red Line platforms open, with a set of turnstiles in front of the stairs to the inbound platform (it's unclear if those are the permanent gates).

I have photos and 2 videos here. Enjoy. :-)
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:15 pm

Three cheers for the Mattapan High-Speed Line and the M.B.T.A. !
This line and it's equipment = a retro-experience on a real, live transit company. Any Boston trolley buff can be proud of this line and the efforts of those to save it and the PCC's that buff it's rails. Is this the only line run in America solely using it's own original PCC's ? (San Francisco uses a variety of equipment on the "F" - most of which is not native to SF, and I'm not sure about Philadelphia.):-D

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 914881.jpg
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:33 pm

The PCCs in Philly I believe are native to there. The same can not be said for the PCCs on the Mattapan Line. The current 10 'Wartime' PCCs were brought over from Arborway in the mid-1980s. Before that, the line used the Dallas double-enders for several decades, and 'All-electric' PCCs for a few years before that.
MBTA3247

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:45 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:The PCCs in Philly I believe are native to there. The same can not be said for the PCCs on the Mattapan Line. The current 10 'Wartime' PCCs were brought over from Arborway in the mid-1980s. Before that, the line used the Dallas double-enders for several decades, and 'All-electric' PCCs for a few years before that.

Yes, I should have used the term "the only organization" instead of line. (Even that wording is tricky as the original company was the Boston Elevated Railway Company.) Now, if we could just get the Boylston Station Type 5 up there - now that would be "original to the line". You have to admit, for a 2007 line to be using 1945 modified equipment for revenue service aint bad !
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Gerry6309 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:22 pm

With regard to the heritage of the line and cars, the line has operated as a substation of the Dorchester (Park St,) Division (3) until 1948, and then as a part of Arborway Division (2) though maintenance was done at places like Bennett St, and Eliot Shops as a matter of convenience. When Arborway was closed in 1985, the Mattapan cars became partof the Reservoir Division (9), which now operates all Green Line service. Since all of the cars assigned at present started out at Reservoir, they are indeed running where they were originally assigned! An interesting change in the reopening is that the stations now have signs with white lettering on a green stripe, eliminating any tie to the Red Line. (Orange cars serving Green Line stations shown on maps as an extension of the Red Line.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

Gerry6309

Postby Epsilon » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:32 pm

Gerry6309 wrote:An interesting change in the reopening is that the stations now have signs with white lettering on a green stripe, eliminating any tie to the Red Line. (Orange cars serving Green Line stations shown on maps as an extension of the Red Line.

Now they just need to work in blue somehow...

Anyone know why this was done? I know that Mattapan-Ashmont is operationally part of the light rail division of the MBTA, but the line has been branded as part of the Red Line since the lines were given colors, and there were red signs at the lines stations in the past. Is the T planning on removing the Red line designation?
Epsilon

Postby Otto Vondrak » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:00 am

The new loop... the new apt. building... the new fare system... the new station signage... I'm so... confused... :-(

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:32 am

Otto Vondrak wrote:The new loop... the new apt. building... the new fare system... the new station signage... I'm so... confused... :-(

-otto-

Hi Otto -
The loop is a tight radius curve at the westernmost portion of the line at Mattapan Square, as well as new construction within the easternmost portion of the line at Ashmont Station. Mattapans is one of the tightest radius's in the system and it allows single ended cars to reverse direction and then head towards Ashmont Station. It shows up pretty nicely on the earth-view sites.
The "new fare boxes" are referring to boxes that will accept the "Charlie Card". The PCC's didn't have them before.
They are apparently getting away from association with the Red Line by changing the color and style of the signs on the line from red.
I couldn't find a reference to "apt. building", so you're on your own on that one !

Now that Gerry has cleared up the fact that the cars are running on their original division, does anybody know if this is unique in the U.S. ? Philly ?
Last edited by 3rdrail on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)