ACL/PATCO ROW question

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

ACL/PATCO ROW question

Postby lensovet » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:19 pm

According to Wikipedia,
Wikipedia wrote:The Atlantic City Line also shares trackage with the PATCO Speedline in New Jersey
is this actually true? I know that Lindenwold is a shared/transfer station, and the NJ DOT railmap shows that the lines are essentially laid over each other, but is this actually the case?
thanks.
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Postby ryanov » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:38 pm

Nope. Shares an ROW, I guess... for part... but absolutely no tracks, and they are ordinarily grade separated somewhat.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby Irish Chieftain » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:38 pm

You gotta stop taking Wikipedia at face value. Anyone can go into those pages and edit them, even unregistered users. I suspect that eventually that site will change to allow registered users only to edit pages.
Irish Chieftain

Postby lensovet » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:45 pm

Well, there was a reason i asked ;) and nothing stops all of you guys actually writing articles/making corrections yourselves. I pointed out that the PL42AC and ALP-46 articles are (essentially) non-existent and no one seemed to jump on the idea, despite the fact that quite a few people on this forum are knowledgeable on the subject.
Paul Borokhov

lensovet

Postby Jtgshu » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:43 am

Patco and the AC Line are side by side for a stretch through Lindenwold, but they don't share trackage, but they share the same ROW.

Just like the PATH and NEC through Harrison.
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.
Jtgshu

Postby peconicstation » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:24 am

From Lindenwold to the "cut" in Haddonfield (just to the east of the Haddonfield PATCO station), NJT and PATCO share the ROW.

NJT has a single track, and PATCO has double track, with 3 tracks just before and just after the Woodcrest Station.

The PATCO ROW from Haddonfield west was orignally the "C & A" line of the PRSL, and before PATCO construction started, this line was used by
PRSL commuter trains running to and from Camden.

Back in the 80's when the Atlantic City line was being rebuilt one idea floated was to have Woodcrest, not Lindenwold be the "transfer" station between PATCO and NJT. That would have required a rebuilding of what was then the fairly new Woodcrest PATCO station.

Ken
peconicstation

Postby chuchubob » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:20 pm

Here's an illustration, at PATCO's Ashland station. The PATCO platform is between their two tracks, with the NJT track adjacent to PATCO's westbound track.

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/u ... -16+39.JPG
http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/u ... -16+40.JPG

Bob
chuchubob

Postby lensovet » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:17 pm

Thanks Bob; that's perfect!
Paul Borokhov

lensovet

Shop Track

Postby E60Brick » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:56 am

The shop track past Lindenwold does cross the ACL…rather rare operation.
E60Brick

Re: Shop Track

Postby chuchubob » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:25 pm

chuchubob

Postby benltrain » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:19 pm

PATCO to Lindenwold then ACL to 30th is an amazing loop trick, you get to ride PATCO, and see all the interesting parts of it, and then go 70 mph past many of the stations you just passed.

PATCO rises to an elevated just before Lindenwold, maybe 100 yards away ( a very uneducated guess), and then the shop trackage crosses the ROW about 40 (?) yards from the platform.

The lines are side by side, undiscernable except for the third rail and concrete ties from Lindenwold to around Haddonfield, where the ACL enters a cut about 8 feet below the PATCO cut, so you are looking up at Haddonfield station. I believe the ACL rises again a bit before breaking off to the North.

The ACL, however, is much slower as it is slower than PATCO (again an educated guess) over its out of the way route.

The route offers everything- the NEC (including Amtrak's 30th street station trackage opposed to SEPTA), two interesting bridges, cuts, elevateds, and more. Highly reccommended for railfaning Philly, although check schedules ahead of time, as ACL service is infrequent.
benltrain

Postby E60Brick » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:06 pm

I was almost certain I saw some form of signal protected crossover...ill have to double check that next time I'm on a gambler run
E60Brick

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:46 pm

The ACRL runs parrelel to PATCO between Lindenwald and like Haddonfield. PATCO, I have only ridden for a few miles. I might ride every bit of it sometime over thanksgiving break,
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby CMC » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:44 pm

No need to check. There are NO signal protected crossovers between PATCO and the ACL, period.
CMC

Postby sixty-six » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:44 pm

chuchubob,

Why, that looks like our own TR-00 behind the wheel of 4202!
sixty-six

Next

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT