MBTA in other media (ex-MBTA in the movies)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA in other media (ex-MBTA in the movies)

Postby rail10 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:16 pm

Which of the movies does feature a scene of the mbta subway and mbta other vehicles?
rail10

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:22 pm

Good Will Hunting. But their geography is confused. Why was he on a Red Line car in Dorchester, when he was travelling between MIT and Southie?
Ron Newman

Postby sabourinj » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:52 pm

Ron Newman wrote:Good Will Hunting. But their geography is confused. Why was he on a Red Line car in Dorchester, when he was travelling between MIT and Southie?

Didn't have the money to get off and pay the exit fare? Sorry... bad joke.
sabourinj

Postby McTed » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:12 pm

The last train to wonderland. Several scenes were filmed on the Blue Line.
McTed

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:03 pm

Is that a different film from "Next Stop Wonderland" ?
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:04 pm

I can't remember anymore ... are there any MBTA scenes in Mystic River ?
Ron Newman

Postby StevieC48 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:07 pm

The Brinks Job and the TV Show Spencer For Hire. Numerous locations on the and the abandoned Washington St EL. St Elsewere had the OL run in front of it. Malcom X the movie used NYCTA to potray the Boston EL. Cant think of anything else boston related.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby scoopernicus_in_Maine » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:21 pm

Field of Dreams had a couple of shots of the Green Line along Huntington Avenue.
scoopernicus_in_Maine

Postby blink55184 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 pm

scoopernicus_in_Maine wrote:Field of Dreams had a couple of shots of the Green Line along Huntington Avenue.

yup- real quick tho, like two 4-second blurbs
blink55184

Postby Porter Sq » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:31 pm

Blown Away had A pretty long scene shot under the Lechmere Viaduct.

Monument Ave had a couple of Shots outside of T stations.

Boondock Saints and A Civil Action I think both had shots of the Longfellow with or with out the Red Line I can't remember.
Last edited by Porter Sq on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Porter Sq

Postby MTD » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:37 pm

The pilot for the 1977 NBC TV series James at 15 featured a lengthy montage of the main character (James) travelling all over the T, trying to find a way back to Oregon! :-D I don't remember the details, but I did recall they had a scene inside the Park Street Green Line station where James asks directions to a T information booth employee, when they still had that info both on the platform. The montage had plenty of shots of other stations on the Orange, Green, and Red Lines. Its worth getting a VHS video of this pilot (I think it was a 2-hour TV movie) as it was definitely shot in Boston and shows what the subway stations and the trains looked like at that time.
MTD

Postby Fred Rabin » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:04 pm

St. Elsewhere had, as its opening sequence, a shot of the Orange Line on the Washington Street el.
Fred R
Fred Rabin

Postby Yellowspoon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:11 pm

scoopernicus_in_Maine wrote:Field of Dreams had a couple of shots of the Green Line along Huntington Avenue.

When Ray (Kostner) went to Terrence's (Jones) apartment, there was a shot of a trackless trolley in the background. The spark looked a bit contrived so I think that scene was faked and not filmed in Massachusetts. Anyone know for sure?
Yellowspoon

Postby ckb » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Yellowspoon wrote:

When Ray (Kostner) went to Terrence's (Jones) apartment, there was a shot of a trackless trolley in the background. The spark looked a bit contrived so I think that scene was faked and not filmed in Massachusetts. Anyone know for sure?

You are correct. That scene was staged in Galena Illinois (with a trackless trolley brought in just for the scene)
ckb

and dont forget:

Postby Cosmo » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:51 pm

The 1970-(?) something, (possibly '60-something?) movie "Fuzz" featuring Burt Reynolds and Yul Brenner features some vintage shots of MBTA (Then MTA?) around Charles MGH. Nice Longfellow Bridge shots as well.
There's also an extra treat for NHRR fans, a scene of the Union Freight RR during the chase scene/finale. :P
"It belongs in a MUSEUM!"
-Indiana Jones
Cosmo

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)