that exit fare

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby octr202 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:04 am

Believe it or not, the Green Line would be far more ineffecient than it already is if there were fares collected above ground outbound. Yes, there is money lost, but, there are more people exiting than boarding at almost all stops when going outbound, and the logistics of having to have everyone exit via the front door would be horrendous. Knowing Bostonians, everyone, even if they're going 3/4 of the way out, would be too worried or lazy to go to the back, and cluster into a mob in the front of each car. I'm sure the T would love to have the additional revenue, but it would be too impractical to collect it under the current fare structure.

Part of the reson why the exit fare proposed for the outer end of the D line in 2000 probably would ahve worked is that by the time the D trolleys pass newton Highlands, they're usually not very crowded, and people can circulate fairly easily to the front door. Not the case at Packards Corner or Brookline Village outbound at rush hour.

If you want an idea of how tough pay as you exit can be, try getting down the aisle of an overcrowded 71 or 73 trackless trolley while its moving, with a couple bags, and not losing your change or your pass for when you make it to the farebox!
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby fm535 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:00 am

trainhq wrote:I got stuck on that in Braintree last summer;didn't know you needed a token to get out when I got on.
Isn't that what the old Charlie MTA song was about? I did a quick turnstile jump on it. They
at least ought to tell you when you go in that you
need an extra token to get out!

Actually, on all of the Reddys, they have a sticker on the map that says an exit fare is required at the particular stops, and it shows on some of the other maps on the system as well. I am not sure if the maps on the 01500's - 01700's have that sticker as well.

Rob... I don't know, if the trains and their operators are on a strict schedule each and every day, but for almost two weeks solid, when I go to work at 8am, heading for Braintree, I haven't missed 01801 once! It is usually quite empty, I always get the "SEAT" and there have been no ads.
Can someone answer me why almost all of the Reddys are missing their fire extinguisher that should be mounted right there at that window? I have seen one out of many Reddy's with an extinguisher, the rest missing. Makes me feel secure! Is it a mandatory or required piece of saftey equipment?
fm535

Postby jwhite07 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:46 am

I have seen pictures from when Malden Center Station first opened in 1975, showing signage inside the station advising passengers of a 25 cent exit fare. Not sure if this was ever put into effect, but obviously there has been no exit fare required there for many years.
jwhite07

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu May 06, 2004 6:45 am

Sorry this is late, fm535, but here is my response.

Riding into Braintree so many times per week, I find it amusing just observing: (1) How many people just cross the platform to the next out-going train...people who fell asleep, or the homeless passing time and staying dry, and things like that. (2) The look of horror on some people's faces that the exit turnstyle just won't let them thru, and they can't figure out they need to pay, until AFTER a few attempts of slamming their crotches and legs. (3) Not one student, exiting in the afternoon, ever does anything but jumps that turnstyle. If they just had ANY employee (not just a uniformed T cop) standing their during the busier afternoon traffic, they could avoid a lot of lost revenue.

Yeah, I've seen that too, for example, last week, another such rider who was "riding around" had my usual seat while I was forced to take the seat behind the grim curtain (operator's side) on 01842 (I since got the usual seat on that car this week though), even at Park Street, when I could reach the seat this very same rider had it the whole length (I don't like that) on down. And other people too who just want to ride around to Braintree as mentioned, since at Ashmont, you have to pay again. Sometimes though, they've taken the other seat while I was lucky to get the railbuff's (fireman's side) seat.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu May 06, 2004 6:57 am

Rob... I don't know, if the trains and their operators are on a strict schedule each and every day, but for almost two weeks solid, when I go to work at 8am, heading for Braintree, I haven't missed 01801 once! It is usually quite empty, I always get the "SEAT" and there have been no ads.
Can someone answer me why almost all of the Reddys are missing their fire extinguisher that should be mounted right there at that window? I have seen one out of many Reddy's with an extinguisher, the rest missing. Makes me feel secure! Is it a mandatory or required piece of saftey equipment?

Well, that one by the window, and another fire extinguisher is stored at the cab access door. They had fire extinguishers (the second one) stored right there at the fireman's side, but I guess that was a bad area, since the supportings could have broken and the extinguisher could have fallen down the cab floor and something awful could happen, so that's why the fire extinguishers have been removed from the railbuff's window and placed on the floor, just like the older trains. And its also more good news for me and you, since we can see even more (how about that).

FYI I take either the first (5:15 AM) or secound (5:26 AM) train (depending the on seat situation), but I board the last car since I'm now back at Saltonstall (no longer at One Congress) and requires me to take the Green Line to Government Centre and walk to 100 Cambridge (Saltonstall) from there. However, that doesn't affect my afternoon schedule, since I still do the same exact thing as from One Congress, Pick up Red Line from Park Street via means of the Motrman's Lead Coach till Braintree. I normally get out at 4PM.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Zaphod » Sun May 09, 2004 10:39 am

Coming from Toronto and a former extra fare zone rider, the Boston system mystifies me.

With the TTC you pay your fare at entry, regardless of where it is or how far you are going. If you enter in an extra fare zone, you pay the extra far, regardless of how far you are going. If you go two stops in the extra fare zone, you pay the extra fare. There are no such things as exit fares.
Zaphod

Postby apodino » Sun May 09, 2004 12:39 pm

A thought. The Blue Line to lynn has been talked about for a while. Remember, the Lynn Commuter Rail Station in Central Square is in Zone 2. Braintree Station along the old colony is also Zone 2. Does that mean that Lynn would be an exit fare station when added, especially since Quincy Center is zone 1 and its a double fare entry.

I wonder if AFC would allow for a structure like DC Metro, where they have exit fare machines if you don't have enough on your farecard to exit the station.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby jwhite07 » Fri May 14, 2004 6:39 am

Coming from Toronto and a former extra fare zone rider, the Boston system mystifies me.

Well, coming from Boston, the Boston system mystifies me, too! ;) But that's a whole other discussion...

With the TTC you pay your fare at entry, regardless of where it is or how far you are going. If you enter in an extra fare zone, you pay the extra far, regardless of how far you are going. If you go two stops in the extra fare zone, you pay the extra fare. There are no such things as exit fares.

What, then, is to stop someone from paying only a single-zone fare upon entry despite their intent to continue through to an extra-fare zone? Last time I was in Toronto (December 2000), the TTC did not have fareboxes that electronically counted and displayed the fare being deposited... in fact, the fareboxes were little more than open-topped receptacles into which all manner of coinage, paper tickets and transfers, and those odd tiny tokens could be deposited. There is really no way, unless the driver/motorman has an extremely keen eye, to know whether the fare being deposited is a single fare, an extra fare, or even whether they're being shortchanged. At least with an exit-fare system, the receipt of the extra fare is enforced, and the electronic fareboxes clearly show what amount is being deposited for a fare.
jwhite07

Postby CS » Sun May 16, 2004 11:39 pm

As for the Mattapan line, let me tell you that no one pays, period. EVER. Even when exiting before Ashmont inbound.

But then again...who (besides railfans) would pay to ride a 60 year old trolleys?
C. Sarjeant
"CS"
CS

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)