Kew Gardens Lefferts Avenue stores/bridge

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Kew Gardens Lefferts Avenue stores/bridge

Postby adamj023 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:58 pm

https://foresthillspost.com/lirr-presid ... next-month

Communiy has been going on about this for ages. I don’t see the big deal here. Either demolish and build new stores or repair the existing structure.

Either way I expect Jamaica to Kew Gardens and other routes which utilize this will have to be by bus till project is complete. You have multiple highrises and stores built above LIRR and roads in the city which seem to have structures in much better structural shape. This one is unique because it has four tracks underneath and is in poor shape apparently. Will provide a large bottleneck for trains to and from the city when work gets underway.

Considering the stores are not landmarked, I would just keep the bricks from demolishion and recreate the same structure with a whole new support structure and foundation.
adamj023

Re: Kew Gardens Lefferts Avenue stores/bridge

Postby DogBert » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:02 pm

This has been problematic because the MTA's first response was 'we're getting rid of these stores and there's nothing you can do about it'. That of course went over like a lead balloon. Hopefully they can find a way to do this work in an expedited manner that doesn't result in the businesses closing or relocating permanently. Unfortunately the MTA has a * track record with doing any kind of work in a timely manner.
DogBert

Postby MACTRAXX » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:44 pm

AJ:

Interesting news about the Lefferts Boulevard bridge in Kew Gardens over the LIRR...With friends
in the area living just blocks away near Queens Boulevard I am in the area from time to time and
will sometimes go over and watch trains run by on the Main Line at the KG Rail...

Replacement of this bridge along with the dozen businesses located above the LIRR Main Line will
be a significant project. Lefferts Boulevard is a busy road that also carries the Q10 bus to JFK that
operates 24 hour service. Most importantly this will affect the LIRR Main Line no matter what the
decision is to rehabilitate or demolish this bridge.

The local community meeting on July 11 at Queens Borough Hall nearby (120-55 Queens Blvd.)
will no doubt attract a large turnout from the KG community to see what the decision will be by
LIRR President Phil Eng and the MTA about the fate of the bridge...MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:27 pm

It is a unique bridge and dates to the Kew Gardens realignment in 1910.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby adamj023 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:05 pm

Didn’t realize the Q10 bus went over the bridge. On satellite imagery, the road looks worn out, and apparently the stores themselves have foundation issues where it is falling onto tracks below.

Im not sure the lease and land/property agreement the owners of the structure have. On another block yoy have two large buildings right on top of the railroad tracks on each side. Stores could be rebuilt or even highrises with stores underneath perhaps depending on property rights.

They did repair or replacement work on other railbridges and probably some more still need repair or replacement as well.
adamj023

Postby BuddR32 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:07 am

DogBert wrote:This has been problematic because the MTA's first response was 'we're getting rid of these stores and there's nothing you can do about it'. That of course went over like a lead balloon. Hopefully they can find a way to do this work in an expedited manner that doesn't result in the businesses closing or relocating permanently. Unfortunately the MTA has a * track record with doing any kind of work in a timely manner.

The stores, and road bridge will crumble and fall to the tracks before there is movement on this, especially with a $1,000,000.00 waste of a study on it. Give me half that, I'll tell you what to do.

The LIRR will be forced to spend millions on a new bridge, with new store buildings, while paying to relocate the tenants while its being rebuilt, yet also forced to charge the same lower rents for the new space. Mark my words, especially if they get Andy Boy's support.
BuddR32

Postby commuterjoe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:00 pm

MACTRAXX is correct, whether the job entails demolition, rebuilding, or repair, it will be significant. Too bad the lower Montauk is not available to help ease the load, schedule wise...
commuterjoe

Postby adamj023 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:36 pm

commuterjoe wrote:MACTRAXX is correct, whether the job entails demolition, rebuilding, or repair, it will be significant. Too bad the lower Montauk is not available to help ease the load, schedule wise...

Other projects for rail bridges were prefabricated and only had a few weekend outages. They will eventually announce the full details on this project.

The line has heavy usage from Penn Station to Jamaica on all four tracks. I guess the L line subway which is scheduled for shutdown for awhile also has significant ridership. But this project should be less disruptive as its a small section.
adamj023

Postby adamj023 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:09 pm

One of the sides of stores has a very nice tudor style architecture which could be kept as much as possible. Apparently they used a unique architectural design where the stores are part of the bridge itself. Has features inherent in the Ponte Vecchio in Florence Italy. So it is worth saving,

The other side of stores looks less impressive and seems devoid of architectural features. I don’t know if the stores were also integrated into the design as much as the other side,

Perhaps they could demolish the roadway bridge and one side of stores while keeping the nice looking tudor design stores and replace the other side with a nicer structure thar has architectural significance.

If more time is needed for LIRR track blockage, they can perhaps build a temporary platform somewhere along with a shuttle train or something. The LIRR Kew Gardens station can still go to Forest Hills and Penn Station but it is blocked from getting to Jamaica, The station is right by where the track obstruction will be. Considering how dependent commuters are with a train to Penn Station, it presents challenges on a number of lines.

I guess we will know all the details soon. I don’t know of any other stores built on the LIRR tracks but there is two highrises built nearby at another track crossing. And then the Hudson Yards project where highrises were built upon the tracks.
adamj023

Postby workextra » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Regardless of the official outcome to be determined.

In my opinion, a new bridge with new stores on both sides of the roadway would do ecnomic wonders for the community.
Ideally the finial structures should “fit in” to the community and mimic The historic look as much as possible.
The buildings them selves would be build on their own platform this time independent of the actual roadway. The Three independent spans would be connected together and thus provide for replacement of the roadway without needing to remove the structures in the future.
I would also include platform access via this new span with stairs down to the platform hidden as doorways on he store fronts elongating the platform to 8 cars in the process.

From a cost standpoint would a new bridge cost less or equally expensive to restoring the existing bridge? This is a difficult project in a very dense and opinionated neighborhood.
Regardless of the official outcome, one major delay or setback would be a major political death nail for the railroad and the supporting politicians.
Thread these waters carefully.
workextra

Postby 452 Card » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:09 pm

During the pilot program for the Dual Mode Engines/C1 coaches, we would take track #1 OOS for testing of various sorts. When it was time for lunch, we would position the test train consist at Kew and walk upstairs to the BEST semolina crust pizza in Queens- "Dani's". It was in the center of the stores above the ROW. If they are still there, I don't know. If they are- go there. But again, this was all taking place in 1991-92.
Wheelslip! Back to the Barn.
MOTEL
452 Card

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:15 pm

Everyone:

I searched YouTube on this subject and found this Fox 5 news report dated March 2, 2018:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34f0WsHVTSg
Shops sounding alarm over crumbling LIRR overpass - reporter: Raegan Medgie

This is something that I was totally unaware of until now - that the bridge structure as shown was
as deteriorated to the extent that it is pictured in this news report.

The Lefferts Boulevard Bridge has serious structural problems that will need to be corrected - and
any plan of action has the potential to affect thousands of people especially LIRR commuters that
may have to deal with any shutdown of the Main Line that work in KG will require.

The findings that the LIRR releases to the public on July 11 at Queens Borough Hall are going to
be pivotal and affect the local KG community that depends on the use of this bridge.

I expect widespread local interest in this upcoming meeting with attendance perhaps higher then
the hall or venue can adequately handle - any decisions made will be big local and regional news.

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:03 am

452 Card wrote:During the pilot program for the Dual Mode Engines/C1 coaches, we would take track #1 OOS for testing of various sorts. When it was time for lunch, we would position the test train consist at Kew and walk upstairs to the BEST semolina crust pizza in Queens- "Dani's". It was in the center of the stores above the ROW. If they are still there, I don't know. If they are- go there. But again, this was all taking place in 1991-92.

452 Card: Glad you brought this subject up - I was not sure if KG food was appropriate at first...

Yes - Dani's House of Pizza is still adjacent to the eastbound platform at Kew Gardens.
Dani's House of Pizza, 81-28 Lefferts Boulevard, Kew Gardens, NY 11415 (718)846-2849
http://www.danishouseofpizza.com
As you may know Dani's is not on the bridge itself - it sits on a small triangular plot of land
adjacent to the eastbound KG platform. Two factors make Dani's Pizza interesting: They do not
accept phone orders and they do not deliver. One must go there in person to make purchases.

Another Dani's observation is that locals will purchase Dani's Pizza and then go down to one of
the KG platforms to sit on one of the benches to enjoy their slices and watch the trains go by...
The personalized Dani's Pizza boxes can sometimes be spotted in the see-thru plastic bags that
are used in LIRR platform trash containers.

Another favorite of mine is on the bridge structure itself: Bakers Dozen Bagels - which is across
from the stairway leading past the Austin Ale House to the westbound KG platform and TVMs.
Bakers Dozen Bagels, 81-09 Lefferts Boulevard, Kew Gardens, NY 11415 (718)847-1930
http://bakersdozenbagels.com/
BDB is best known for their very good namesake bagels, breakfast food, salads and sandwiches...

Another observation: Did you notice the picture posted of the bridge by the Forest Hills Post?
The picture taken from the eastbound platform is more then a decade old - the brown plastic
trash receptacles and the Coca-Cola restaurant sign on the upper left (since removed) help to
give me an idea about how old this photo is - but totally accurate nonetheless to the subject.

MACTRAXX
MACTRAXX

Postby johndill » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:55 am

452 Card wrote:During the pilot program for the Dual Mode Engines/C1 coaches, we would take track #1 OOS for testing of various sorts. When it was time for lunch, we would position the test train consist at Kew and walk upstairs to the BEST semolina crust pizza in Queens- "Dani's". It was in the center of the stores above the ROW. If they are still there, I don't know. If they are- go there. But again, this was all taking place in 1991-92.

Grew up around there and Dani's was the far and away the best pizza in the neighborhood. Was there about 5 years ago and Danis was still there
johndill

Postby adamj023 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:43 am

I don’t believe this will get that much news coverage other than what occured already and future stories but I can see why the community wants the stores kept and an acceptable solution will be found. I could see perhaps stores and maybe some apartments or hotel or whatnot built on top of the second side of stores that is scaled to a smaller size and designed in a way that makes the area look nice or something else. The tudor style needs to stay but one can make a much nicer landscape design of something creative with the orher side and there are lots of possibilities which can make the area even more significant. Something creative and really nice needs to be done. Generic or modern looking structures aren’t appropriate and it would have to fit into the historic era of the community like the other side does.
adamj023

Next

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)