Locomotives on both ends

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Locomotives on both ends

Postby TDowling » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:46 am

Not sure if this belongs here, but this morning metro north ran train 71 with a comet ii, 2 comet vs, and locomotives on both ends (NJT Geep on east and MNR F40 on west). There is a slight but noticeable difference in the ride, especially when accelerating out of stations. What were the circumstances that led the rr to operate like this and are there advantages as far as speed?
TDowling

Re: Locomotives on both ends

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:59 am

Might be better off asking that on the NJT forum. Last I knew they had a cab car shortage because of PTC installation on cars at MMC or something.

Edit: and thus I have moved it.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby Backshophoss » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:50 pm

NJT is installing ACSES gear on their Cab Cars and are having software problems after the install,2nd unit is subbing for the cab car for now.
Unfortunately all of MN's WOH fleet is tangled in this mess now
Backshophoss

Postby ryanov » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:08 am

I was on this same train the other night on the Morris and Essex Lines. I think the locomotives are 4103 and 4910. Thing sure could love out of a station.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby TDowling » Fri May 18, 2018 1:17 am

From what I understand, this practice is advantageous. It shaves off a few minutes from the schedule; plus, if one of them breaks down the other one can compensate. How feasible would keeping this setup be for the railroad, barring the possibility of a short supply of reliable locomotives?
TDowling

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT