CharlieCard / Ticket discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: CharlieCard / Ticket discussion

Postby deathtopumpkins » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:39 pm

IIRC Charlie 2.0 will include ticket machines at some outlying commuter rail stations.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby BandA » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:10 am

Have them spit out timed boarding passes aka seat checks and you have something...
BandA

Postby diburning » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:04 pm

The MBTA has announced that Charlie Cards will be accepted between North Station and Chelsea through Summer 2019. No fare/pass needed, just a charlie card, no fare will be collected if a charlie card is presented.

I'd share the flyer/photo, but the forum seems to be broken at the moment where it can't determine the dimensions of any photos and thus will not allow any posting of photos.

Here is a link, hopefully it works
diburning

Postby saulblum » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:07 pm

diburning wrote:The MBTA has announced that Charlie Cards will be accepted between North Station and Chelsea through Summer 2019. No fare/pass needed, just a charlie card, no fare will be collected if a charlie card is presented.

So in other words, the commuter rail is free from Chelsea for the next year, given conductors do not have hand-held Charlie readers.

It also makes the platform ticket checkers at North Station even more inane, as anyone boarding a Newburyport/Rockport train could just flash an empty CharlieCard and claim they're going to Chelsea.
saulblum

Postby Arlington » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:52 pm

Yes, but then they must get off in Chelsea.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby CRail » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 pm

How is a ticket checker at North Station going to enforce that?
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby diburning » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:59 pm

It wouldn't be too much of an issue I guess. Chelsea is in Zone 1A. I suppose the conductor would simply charge the on-board fare (formerly called a surcharge)

The ticket checkers are quite useless though. Just because someone has a ticket doesn't mean that the conductor will get around to punching it. I've only had my ticket punched/collected on about half of my rides to Boston Landing, and almost never on my rides to Back Bay or Yawkey.
diburning

Postby RenegadeMonster » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:57 am

About all it accomplishes for now is forcing mobile ticket activation, which is fare collected.

I understand they are just buying their time until CharliCard 2.0 and the plan is to tap on and tap off. Gates at the Boston stations and kiosks at all other stations.

If you don't tap when getting off you will be charged for the maximum number of zones.

But this isn't happening until sometime in 2020 at the earliest.
RenegadeMonster

Postby saulblum » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:28 am

RenegadeMonster wrote:About all it accomplishes for now is forcing mobile ticket activation, which is fare collected.

Forcing ticket activation before actually boarding works fine with a reliable system.

The T commuter rail is not that system, and you get alleged incidents such as described at https://twitter.com/SGriepsma/status/10 ... 3409089536
saulblum

Postby Disney Guy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:42 pm

When the station ticket checker expected passengers to have an activated ticket to continue on to the platform, is it not standard procedure that the selfsame ticket should be presented upon demand to any train conductor and be accepted as valid subject to zones to be travelled?

The same would be case if someone should be approached by a second conductor during his ride.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby RenegadeMonster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:37 am

You would think, and that very well could be the case here.

But I'm thinking it's probably more like the guy activated a ticket with a different zone than needed because he travels to different locations and hadn't bought the right ticket yet when he encountered the ticket checkers.
RenegadeMonster

Postby BandA » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:01 pm

BOS to BBY & visa-versa was free, is this still the case?
BandA

Postby diburning » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:42 pm

Officially, only BBY to BOS is free. BOS to BBY is not free.
diburning

Postby diburning » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:56 am

MBTA to allow onboard credit, debit payments for commuter-rail riders

The technology consists of an app on conductors' existing company-issued smartphones, which are now paired with handheld Bluetooth printers. Using the mobile point-of-sale app, the conductor selects the station-to-station information to calculate the zone and fare, and processes the transaction.
diburning

Postby saulblum » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:40 am

Ah, but with the inanity of "Fare is Fair", official Keolis policy (though not mentioned in the MBTA Tariff and Statement of Fare and therefore of questionable legality) is that on-board purchasing may be forbidden on any arbitrary train from any arbitrary station at any arbitrary time, with no advance notice.

(The reality being evening rush hour at North Station and Back Bay and seemingly less often, at South Station.)
saulblum

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)